Search found 39 matches

by Hillary
Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:11 am
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Lost Valley Trail
Replies: 66
Views: 45782

Re: Lost Valley Trail

Date Hiked: April 17, 2016 General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread) From Escondito through Lost Valley to Higgins Creek is darn near a wilderness freeway. That was great. We attempted to get to from Higgins Creek to Pelon Camp and decided it just wasn't going to happ...
by Hillary
Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:30 am
Topic: Lost Valley Connector Trail
Replies: 21
Views: 17920

Re: Lost Valley Connector Trail

Date Hiked: April 18, 2016 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Dropped our packs at the sign that points down to Lost Valley and did an out and back on the Lost Valley Connector Trail. The trail was very well flagged, which was nice because it would have been ha...
by Hillary
Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:12 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Help with questions for Silver Peak Wilderness trip.
Replies: 2
Views: 997

Re: Help with questions for Silver Peak Wilderness trip.

I've done parts of this recently... 1 - I think you are referring to Three Peaks Trail? Trail is fine and mostly clear. Typical spring encroachment but nothing impassable. 2 - Lion Den water is plentiful right now, should still be by May. Water shouldn't be a problem for you. 3 - Three peaks camp is...
by Hillary
Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:00 am
Topic: Cone Peak loop parking options and questions.
Replies: 4
Views: 1708

Re: Cone Peak loop parking options and questions.

If it is your first time, I'd recommend parking on HWY 1 across from Kirk Creek (just pull up and park - no fee or reservations or anything) and doing the full loop from there. It is beautiful. I've parked in that spot dozens of times, the longest was during my epic east to west trip where I dropped...
by Hillary
Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:09 am
Topic: Hiking for 8 days in Big Sur:seeking areas of concern/advice
Replies: 12
Views: 4111

Re: Hiking for 8 days in Big Sur:seeking areas of concern/ad

I agree with Jack on reversing direction. It just seems like it will be more enjoyable. And I agree with Mike - avoid Sykes! It just ain't worth it. Ew. I did a 7 day east to west from Arroyo Seco to HWY1 @ Vicente about a year ago. It was amazing and all the warnings about ticks, poison oak, and mu...
by Hillary
Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:36 am
Topic: Suggestions for 4-5 day backpacking route
Replies: 3
Views: 1333

Re: Suggestions for 4-5 day backpacking route

I agree with Mike. I've done that route and it is a wonderful hike. The Vicente Flat/Cone Peak loop is pretty, for sure, but I think Marble Peak/Pine Ridge is better. Heck, its all pretty. But Vicente Flat's water has been frustratingly distant from the campsites. Mike is also right about the mileag...
by Hillary
Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:35 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: Water status at Goat Camp?
Replies: 2
Views: 2861

Re: Water status at Goat Camp?

Hi... I was out there about a week ago and there was certainly enough water at Goat Camp. There is a very small amount of water still flowing at Trail Spring Camp. It sounds like your route will take you past there so you could refill there too. I didn't walk up the creek at Vicente to see how far u...
by Hillary
Mon May 11, 2015 9:19 am
Topic: Mill Creek Trail
Replies: 21
Views: 20192

Re: Mill Creek Trail

Date Hiked: May 10, 2015 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) I hiked this on Sunday. The Mill Creek Trail is clear as previously reported. Lots of different paths to get to the same place. However, I also did the Mill Creek Extension that Jack has on his maps. I was amaze...
by Hillary
Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:19 am
Topic: Fields of Lupine?
Replies: 4
Views: 2766

Re: Fields of Lupine?

Photos from this morning about 3 miles from Indian's Adobe.... Sun wasn't quite up yet.
IMG_1354.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
by Hillary
Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:17 pm
Topic: How to find trails
Replies: 1
Views: 1754

Re: How to find trails

If you are looking for Ventana trails it is super easy. Just go to Jack's maps. Best maps of the area.

http://bigsurtrailmap.net/