by rt1
Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:05 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Permanent Structure Built near Sykes
Replies: 21
Views: 4397

Re: Permanent Structure Built near Sykes

Quote from Sykes this summer:

"I'm from Shasta County. Don't worry, I've smoked in way drier areas than this."
by rt1
Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Re-Soling Boots - where to send them
Replies: 2
Views: 3144

Re: Re-Soling Boots - where to send them

Tom Pinch wrote:You can try the "drive-through" shoe place in Monterey. I had some good work done there. It is at 542 Agrebo street. I believe the name of the place is Ferlinghetti's (or something similar).
It's Federicos
by rt1
Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:15 am
Topic: Permanent Structure Built near Sykes
Replies: 21
Views: 4397

Re: Permanent Structure Built near Sykes

Has there been any consideration of creating a wilderness permit system for the Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Redwood Camp? Sort of like the Mt. Whitney Zone but less strict. Have a generous quota to not make it too restrictive but, mostly, require that every visitor have to actually talk...
by rt1
Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:58 pm
Topic: It's a dry, dry year
Replies: 5
Views: 1261

Re: It's a dry, dry year

People seem to be ignoring the fire warnings. Along the Big Sur River campsites, numerous people were having campfires. When my companions and I informed them that fires were not permitted, they acted like nobody ever warned them (there's a huge sign on the Pine Ridge Trail right after the Big Sur S...
by rt1
Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:27 pm
Topic: Little Sur headwaters.
Replies: 5
Views: 1494

Re: Little Sur headwaters.

Is Comings Creek or Puerto Suelo Creek the creek that meets the Little Sur above the third waterfall?
by rt1
Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Ventana Double Cone Trail
Replies: 96
Views: 71852

Re: Ventana Double Cone Trail

One warning - I was using the Wilderness Press map, which shoes a trail connection to Tin House that ultimately back to Big Sur Station. I spent an hour looking for this trail and almost got lost on the steep mountainside below Doublecone. I later learned from a local that the trail was totally ove...
by rt1
Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm
Forum: Gear & Gadgets
Topic: Bushwacking gear.
Replies: 13
Views: 12445

Re: Bushwacking gear.

I wear OR gaiters while hiking in the ventana, whether I'm wearing shorts or pants. As for a pack, I've found climbing packs to be the toughest since they're designed to be dragged up rock faces. I have the Black Diamond Mission 75 and it's held up under some serious Ventana brush.
by rt1
Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 pm
Topic: native american name for The Indians
Replies: 2
Views: 720

Re: native american name for The Indians

According to the Sierra Club Trail Guide the area is called Cwalakam
by rt1
Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 pm
Topic: Coastal trail
Replies: 19
Views: 3872

Re: Coastal trail

If the Coastal Trail included some Ventana Wilderness Trails, would it possibly mean more funds for maintaining those trails? I was thinking a possible route would pass through Palo Corona and connect with the Ventana trail system at Mount Carmel. Then it would go: Ventana Double Cone Trail>Puerto S...