Search found 129 matches

by rt1
Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: effect of storm
Replies: 9
Views: 2178

Re: effect of storm

Wow, that's some gully washer! Anyone been out on Tassajara Rd? The USFS site says "Tassajara Road and White Oaks Campground and China Camp Campground - ROAD MAY BE IMPASSABLE DUE TO STORM DAMAGE - CALL RANGER STATION FOR MORE INFO" anyone gone that way, wanted to hike to Pine Valley this...
by rt1
Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:15 pm
Topic: Pine Valley
Replies: 14
Views: 2258

Re: Pine Valley

sykes is an area that needs special consideration from the forest service, perhaps ticketing and or requiring a permit, the revenue generated could go to trail maint, as far as the rest of the wilderness I don't think we need any controls, as I understand it one can stay in one place for 14 days an...
by rt1
Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Little Sur Trail
Replies: 126
Views: 80641

Re: Little Sur Trail

Date Hiked: September 1, 2014 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Section: Pico Blanco Scout Reservation to base of Mt. Pico Blanco The trail is definitely in better shape than this time last year due to the clearing of the descent to Dubeneck's Hole (Thank you ...
by rt1
Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:40 am
Topic: Fire restrictions
Replies: 6
Views: 1474

Re: Fire restrictions

I'm surprised they haven't gone in to effect yet since, as I recall, Level IV was implemented in July.
by rt1
Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 pm
Topic: Fire restrictions
Views: 1474

Fire restrictions

Is there any word of fire restrictions going to Level IV (cold camping) in the near future. I'd like to know for planning purposes.
by rt1
Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:23 pm
Topic: Condor Trail NRT
Replies: 4
Views: 1170

Re: Condor Trail NRT

Has National Scenic Trail designation been considered? From my limited research it seems more appropriate.
by rt1
Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:32 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: Suggestions for 1-night backpack w/kids
Replies: 3
Views: 1666

Re: Suggestions for 1-night backpack w/kids

Check out Fish Camp or Fox Camp along the Little Sur River. Not a lot of elevation gain, lots of shade, and plenty of water. You can park at the Scout Camp for $8/day to save you climbing 1000+ feet up a dirt road.
http://fs10.formsite.com/svmbc/form196/index.html
by rt1
Sun May 11, 2014 4:13 pm
Topic: Interagency Pass
Replies: 1
Views: 568

Interagency Pass

Is the America the Beautiful Interagency Pass honored at the Big Sur Station parking lot or anywhere else in the Monterey Ranger District?
by rt1
Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm
Topic: Need help finding this specific trail sign!
Replies: 2
Views: 638

Re: Need help finding this specific trail sign!

This looks like the sign at Nacimiento Summit at the junction of Cone Peak Road and Nacimiento-Fergussen Rd. The mileages line up. Here's a photo of the sign President's Day 2011:
DSCN2996.JPG
by rt1
Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:53 pm
Topic: NEW: Fire Use Restrictions Back in Place
Views: 1548

Re: NEW: Fire Use Restrictions Back in Place

Along with the official order, there should be a list in layman's terms explaining what is and isn't legal. I can decipher the order but, maybe if a more understandable order was posted, more people would follow the rules.