Search found 60 matches

by lori
Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:28 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Pine Ridge Trail
Replies: 221
Views: 147200

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: November 21, 2011 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) The ranger at Big Sur Station had no idea what the trail conditions were, so I took pictures of the deadfall and showed him when I got back. The redwoods that are causing people to create more use...
by lori
Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:01 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: Taking a newbie. 5 - 7 miles to get somewhere good?
Replies: 5
Views: 1633

Re: Taking a newbie. 5 - 7 miles to get somewhere good?

I would take a newbie to Big Basin and do an easier, more shaded backpack with waterfalls and plenty of water. Or to southern yosemite, on a short no-stream-crossing outing to an alpine lake. I would not take a newbie out in low elevation hills when it's hotter, and the trails are less defined, the ...
by lori
Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Limeklin State Park
Replies: 4
Views: 1167

Re: Limeklin State Park

It was all closed up last month when I drove by.
by lori
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:24 pm
Topic: Found - Gear, in Vicinity of Cone Peak
Replies: 6
Views: 1615

Re: Found - Gear, in Vicinity of Cone Peak

Did you notify the Rangers was there any ID in it Folks just don't walk away from gear you know. Peak baggers will leave stuff before making the ascent.... I typically cache the backpack and take a fanny pack, when I'm making a side trip to a peak in the Sierras (with a nice orange ribbon to mark w...
by lori
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:19 pm
Topic: Newbie Alert: First time in the Silver Peak Wilderness
Replies: 11
Views: 2905

Re: Newbie Alert: First time in the Silver Peak Wilderness

Wow, you guys just answered all my questions. Thanks a lot! One more question, do you guys normally bring maps? If its not detailed or accurate enough, does a map really matter? I was taught to always carry a map - IN CASE - but it seems kind of useless :\ I started volunteering for Search and Resc...
by lori
Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 am
Topic: Cone Peak Trail
Replies: 83
Views: 67340

Date Hiked: January 10, 2010 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) We hiked the trail to the lookout on Cone Peak from the trailhead on the road. The tread is easy to find, and while in some places it appears eroded and crumbly it was easy to walk, or run, apparently - we w...
by lori
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:57 am
Topic: Kirk Creek Trail (Highway One to Vicente Flat Camp)
Replies: 122
Views: 40400

from Hwy 1 trailhead to the ridge road

Date Hiked: January 10, 2010 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) We hiked up 1/9 and camped then hiked up from the main camp to the ridge on the way to Cone Peak. Trail crews have done excellent work in this area - there are places where the trail seems to lose a little c...
by lori
Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 am
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: first backpacking trip with children in Ventana?
Replies: 5
Views: 3294

Re: first backpacking trip with children in Ventana?

I thought most of the wilderness will be closed until June?
by lori
Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:22 pm
Topic: Big Sur-March 09
Replies: 12
Views: 3633

Re: Big Sur-March 09

I'd suggest calling to double check with the rangers the day before you leave on your trip. There's snow falling as I type - Yosemite Valley should be great for cross country skiing next week. You'll want to make sure it's safe to drive up there, so as not to waste a long drive up the central valley.
by lori
Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:40 pm
Topic: Big Sur-March 09
Replies: 12
Views: 3633

Re: Big Sur-March 09

[quote="MN_mama"]Thanks for your suggestions Mike- we will definitely look into them! As for the RV- I didn't realize it would be dangerous! We really have no idea what to expect out there and know very little about the area. We are taking a big loop from SF down Big Sur, over to Yosemite,...