Search found 60 matches

by lori
Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 am
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Water, any place you would definetly filter?
Replies: 21
Views: 3853

Re: Water, any place you would definetly filter?

If you do not know you are among those many people who never show symptoms of Giardia, filter it all. I would not touch unfiltered water in areas that are heavily traveled, anywhere. Rivers in the national parks routinely test positive for e coli. I have had to pull bird sh!t out of Pat Springs - wo...
by lori
Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:36 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Lost Valley Trail
Replies: 66
Views: 45782

Re: Lost Valley Trail

Date Hiked: November 28, 2013 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) Went out and had the valley and trail to ourselves. The river was a rock hop, most other crossings were step across or rock hop. The trail is great considering it's obvious there was no trail a short time a...
by lori
Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Topic: OK, wildlife questions.
Replies: 13
Views: 2026

Re: OK, wildlife questions.

The Hearst herd of Elk have been out most every weekend this fall, near Piedras Blancas Lighthouse on the east side of the highway in the Arroyo De La Cruz drainage. I saw the zebras out grazing - they like the field next to the strip of motels in San Simeon. Frequent zebra jams when people do the ...
by lori
Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: Suggestions for 2/3-day backpacking trip
Replies: 2
Views: 1387

Re: Suggestions for 2/3-day backpacking trip

Well, you can camp at Andrew Molera, but not on the loop - in the walk in campsites. Then you can day hike the loop. Vicente Flat is a nice moderate trip but quite popular due to that. You could try to get a site at Kirk Creek to camp - the trailhead is across the road from the campground. Another o...
by lori
Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:30 pm
Topic: What's your nastiest Ventana experience?
Replies: 21
Views: 3560

Re: What's your nastiest Ventana experience?

Um, Justin? I said "Ventana" experience, not "McMurdo Station" experience. Yikes. If I get that in March, I'm hoping that Vicente Flat is steep enough that I can slide back to the car on the ice in a couple minutes or so...and not die from the impact when I get there... Here I n...
by lori
Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:50 am

so there are bears that don't leave prints or poop within the bounds of anywhere i have hiked in the Ventana - have seen more bears, scat and prints than most people i have hiked with but never on the coastal ranges. sounds like they are all in town.... i am more afraid of meth heads, pot growers an...
by lori
Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:18 am

there are no elk or bear in this area. the chances are the same all year for condors - never seen one in ventana myself, been out each winter to hike several weekends a year. to see condors pinnacles is a higher probability. i have seen prints many times all over california - lions are everywhere - ...
by lori
Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:23 pm
Topic: TICKS.
Replies: 15
Views: 3618

Re: TICKS.

Permethrin, long pants, gaiters, and nightly tick checks. It doesn't matter so much that they get through and try to attach - you simply need to get them off ASAP. It's the ones that stay there too long that cause problems. The only tick caused rash (it was spreading about 4" per hour down my l...
by lori
Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am
Topic: Planning a backpacking trip....
Replies: 3
Views: 1030

Re: Planning a backpacking trip....

Lots of safety concerns - one, you say it's your first backpacking trip. This isn't like the national parks where the trails look like roads, and frequently the junctions in Ventana have no signs at all, since the fire in 09 burnt them up. Sometimes there is just no trail at all. Cross country trave...
by lori
Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Ventana Double Cone Trail
Replies: 92
Views: 65339

Re: Ventana Double Cone Trail

Date Hiked: November 11, 2011 General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread) I am marking this difficult because the limiting factors for someone who has been to the Double Cone before are time and water sources. To anyone expecting a nice long strenuous hike who hasn't be...