Search found 45 matches

by AaronP
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:39 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Ventana Double Cone Trail
Replies: 92
Views: 65339

Re: Ventana Double Cone Trail

Date Hiked: April 3, 2020 General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread) Hiked the VDC trail ->Big Pines ->Double Ventana Cone from The Hoist. The VDC trail is passable and relatively easy to follow until you make it to Lone Pine, after then it becomes very vague and bushw...
by AaronP
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek
Replies: 13
Views: 2425

Re: White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek

Awesome! Thanks again, I've been wanting to make my way to VDC for months now. I've also seen Pantilats route from Manuel peak and that seemed to be a little too technical to attempt with a pack on so i'm looking for alternatives and coming up from Pine Valley would make for at least a 3 day trek. L...
by AaronP
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Doelman wrote:You can go up long ridge from the closure on pall Colorado rd, walk up that to get to the turner creek trail, that takes you to the vdc/ skinner-ridge trail
Is there overnight parking at the closure?
by AaronP
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:03 pm

There is no public access through White Rock, you need to know someone to get in there. Part of the trail which is just inside the forest service boundary, and just outside of whiterock has been rerouted. Even if you have access the "trailhead" is very hard to find. Ok, thanks for that in...
by AaronP
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 am

White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek

Just wondering what the road access/parking situation is like at the trailhead. Looking to backpack a couple days going up to Mount Carmel and possibly VDC in the coming weeks.
by AaronP
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm
Topic: Gamboa Trail
Replies: 74
Views: 49280

Re: Gamboa Trail

Date Hiked: March 14, 2020 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) The tunnel of bushes after goat camp towards gamboa is a little bit of a mess. Can be cleared with loppers and a small handsaw. Camped at trail springs camp during a storm last weekend and had 2 tree...
by AaronP
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:47 pm
Topic: Church Creek Trail
Replies: 52
Views: 37818

Re: Church Creek Trail

Date Hiked: January 15, 2020 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Most of the trail is well maintained except for the few miles between the caves and the divide junction. As we passed the property by the caves it started to snow and the trail there was difficult ...
by AaronP
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 pm
Topic: Horse Pasture Trail
Replies: 37
Views: 27618

Re: Horse Pasture Trail

Date Hiked: January 15, 2020
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Hiked from Arroyo Seco to Church Creek Divide via this trail last week. Between 4-6 fallen trees between the camp and Tassajara Rd mostly on the switchbacks there.
by AaronP
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:35 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: Where is help for Betsey
Replies: 3
Views: 1306

Re: Where is help for Betsey

If we want more funding, I believe that there would need to be a national movement to discuss how we distribute money from the federal budget. Under the current budget the National Forestry Service receives just under 2 billion to maintain parks and lands which is pitiful considering that there's a ...
by AaronP
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:10 am
Topic: 50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts
Replies: 26
Views: 5627

Re: 50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

After talking with Betsy and Brian over the weekend I've decided to alter the route and avoid as many headaches as possible. The new route will not include either the Santa Lucia Trail or Black Cone. https://caltopo.com/m/4NDP