Search found 8 matches

by Jeff Cannon
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:17 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Stone Ridge Trail
Replies: 81
Views: 67384

Re: Stone Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: November 23, 2018 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) Just got back from a fully immersive, wet, sloppy hike around the Cone Peak loop from PCH. Celebrated the first storm of the Winter by getting out in it! The whole trail is in the best shape I have ever see...
by Jeff Cannon
Wed May 10, 2017 7:29 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: So. coast ridge road as far south as Lottie Potrero?
Replies: 12
Views: 4010

Re: So. coast ridge road as far south as Lottie Potrero?

I have been thinking about the same trip. I can only speak about the road from the turn off to Lion's Den Camp. From there south, it is a well used freeway to the turn off for Three Peaks. Based on the condition and tire tracks, I would say it has to be passable further north. It is possible all the...
by Jeff Cannon
Sat May 06, 2017 7:05 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: How do you spell Solitude? BIG SUR 2017
Replies: 0
Views: 1020

How do you spell Solitude? BIG SUR 2017

I had a remarkable hike today, May 6th out of Ragged Point. There was not another soul in the wilderness from there to Buckeye Camp, on a Saturday no less! It was a fully immersive experience between waist high grasses, bushes absolutely loaded with flowers hanging over the trails, and of course nea...
by Jeff Cannon
Sat May 06, 2017 6:43 pm
Forum: Silver Peak Wilderness Trails
Topic: Cruikshank Trail
Replies: 131
Views: 74307

Re: Cruikshank Trail

Date Hiked: May 6, 2017 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) Hiked from the Coast Ridge Road to the divide past Lions Den Camp. The camp is in perfect condition and there is more water in the stream than I have ever seen. The sign at the road has delaminated from its backi...
by Jeff Cannon
Sat May 06, 2017 6:35 pm
Topic: Buckeye Trail
Replies: 111
Views: 83147

Re: Buckeye Trail

Date Hiked: May 6, 2017 General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread) Today was an epic day! Started at Ragged Point and made it to the top of Silver Peak by way of Dutra Flat, the Ridge Road and Lions Den camp. The use trail from North of Lions Den alternates between Pas...
by Jeff Cannon
Sat May 06, 2017 6:15 pm
Topic: Three Peaks Trail (aka Dutra)
Replies: 26
Views: 23445

Re: Three Peaks Trail (aka Dutra)

Date Hiked: May 6, 2017 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) The recent trail crew did a great job from Dutra Flat up over the first ridge and down through some very thick brush. It was quite obvious where they stopped. About half of the remaining route could be ...
by Jeff Cannon
Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:06 am
Topic: Gamboa Trail
Replies: 74
Views: 49251

Re: Gamboa Trail

Date Hiked: June 18, 2016
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Dropped to Trail Springs from Cone Peak. Water was still good at the spring. This stretch was 95% good, a couple new downed trees, but not difficult to negotiate.
by Jeff Cannon
Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:02 am
Topic: Stone Ridge Trail
Replies: 81
Views: 67384

Re: Stone Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: June 18, 2016 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) We did the full hike from Kirk Creek to Cone Peak and back around through Trail Springs and Goat Camp on June 18th. The trail has freeway status until the Lime Kiln Creek crossing. There was plenty of...