Search found 7 matches

by BostonMike
Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:16 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Lost hiker found - 3 years later
Replies: 5
Views: 1978

Re: Lost hiker found - 3 years later

She wasn't experienced on that mountain though. I've been climbing Mount Washington and the surrounding Presidential peaks since I was 12 years old...that's 36 years. I took one look at her pic with all her gear and knew right there she wasn't going to make it.
by BostonMike
Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 am
Topic: Lost hiker found - 3 years later
Replies: 5
Views: 1978

Re: Lost hiker found - 3 years later

What a sad story. I do most of my backpacking in the NH and Maine area and it is some rugged terrain. If she just kept heading South she would have eventually come to civilization. It might have taken her weeks of traveling, but she would eventually come to a town, farm, or road. This is why I'm old...
by BostonMike
Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:34 am
Topic: Lunch
Replies: 2
Views: 1042

Re: Lunch

I have a cheap food dehydrator I bought on eBay (Nesco $35). I'm really into lightweight backpacking, so I dehydrate a lot of my food. One great meal is a Kale soup I make. Slice up onions, zuccinni, carrots and squash and place them on the food dehydrator trays. Put the kale on the trays as well, b...
by BostonMike
Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:57 am
Topic: Black Bear Scat?
Replies: 10
Views: 5617

Re: Black Bear Scat?

Wow, what a shot of that black bear! They tend to be pretty shy animals. Great idea with the crittercam. I'm hoping to get some land out there one of these days. I've been hiking up in the White Mountains in NH since I was 12 (I'm 48 now) and it wasn't until a year ago that I ran into a family of be...
by BostonMike
Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Black Bear Scat?

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone would be able to confirm that. I never expect to see a bear out there. When I'm up in Maine or New Hampshire hiking, I'm meticulous about hanging any food and cooking away from camp, changing clothes after eating, etc..but I don't think of that on the Centr...
by BostonMike
Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:43 am

Black Bear Scat?

Hello everyone! I was on a solo hike up on the Cruickshank Trail back in 2013 and came across a pile of scat that looked very similar to the black bear scat I see up in New Hampshire on the trails. I thought black bears were kind of uncommon around here, but maybe I'm wrong. I can almost picture him...
by BostonMike
Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:03 am
Topic: Hiking for 8 days in Big Sur:seeking areas of concern/advice
Replies: 12
Views: 4097

Re: Hiking for 8 days in Big Sur:seeking areas of concern/ad

Thanks for that great trip report! I plan on doing a similar hike with my son in August.