by hikin_jim
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:28 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: What the heck is this?
Replies: 3
Views: 773

Re: What the heck is this?

jpdoelman wrote:Buckeye
OK, thank you. I've not seen it before. Do you know if it is native?

EDIT: Actually, it appears that it is.
https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postde ... tnum=29729

HJ
by hikin_jim
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:18 pm
Topic: What the heck is this?
Replies: 3
Views: 773

What the heck is this?

I saw this hiking out on the Pine Ridge Trail. It's in the last section, the switchbacks that lead to the car campground near the trail head. Is this native? What the heck is this?
What the heck is this?
What the heck is this?
HJ
by hikin_jim
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:08 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Pine Ridge Trail
Replies: 220
Views: 144503

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: November 11, 2021 General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained) I hiked the PRT Thursday 11/11/2021 to Sunday 11/14/2021 as follows: Thursday - Big Sur Station to Terrace Creek Camp Friday - Terrace Creek to Sykes Camp Saturday - Sykes to Terrace Creek Sunday ...
by hikin_jim
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:40 am
Topic: Hammocking at Barlow or Sykes?
Replies: 2
Views: 607

Re: Hammocking at Barlow or Sykes?

Hi, Betsy, Wow! That's about as thorough a reply as one could ever wish for. Thank you. If you had time, and if it were not too much to ask, what is Terrace Creek camp like? I'm driving up from Torrance tomorrow, and I'll probably not get on the trail before 1:00 PM. That only gives me 4 hours of li...
by hikin_jim
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:50 am
Topic: Hammocking at Barlow or Sykes?
Replies: 2
Views: 607

Hammocking at Barlow or Sykes?

I'm headed up the Big Sur River later this week, camping at Barlow Flats one night and Sykes for probably two. If Sykes were overfull or something, we could go to Redwood Camp, but my partner really doesn't want to hike that far with a pack. He's heard that the climb up to Redwood is quite steep. I'...