by christiantmendelsohn
Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: A Newbies' list of things learned on a 3-night trip/23 miles
Replies: 7
Views: 1936

Re: A Newbies' list of things learned on a 3-night trip/23 m

Greetings all.
I did not get a citation, and was told about the lack of funding for Rangers in our area at this time of year- not sure about the busy/drier times of the year. & nope, didn't see a Ranger out there. Not even at the BSRanger station.

Cheers to all.
by christiantmendelsohn
Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:07 pm
Topic: A Newbies' list of things learned on a 3-night trip/23 miles
Replies: 7
Views: 1936

A Newbies' list of things learned on a 3-night trip/23 miles

Here is a list of things I learned & wanted to share with other newbies. Some points might be wrong, so correct/add your $.02. Many of these will be obvious- they weren't for me until I took a solo 4-day hike from China Camp to Big Sur Station. I. Never skimp on good/excellent boots. A. The chea...
by christiantmendelsohn
Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:02 pm
Topic: Hiking for 8 days in Big Sur:seeking areas of concern/advice
Replies: 12
Views: 4097

Re: Hiking for 8 days in Big Sur:seeking areas of concern/ad

Just got back from my 3-night hike, which was so good! Saturday: China Camp via Pine Ridge up to Carmel River trail = fine. Saw no one. Cleared one tree. Snow! Carmel River Trail to Pine Valley Camp = fine. Saw no one. No snow. Pine Valley Camp = Beautiful. Spent the night. Little cold. No snow. No ...
by christiantmendelsohn
Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:20 pm

HNY to all, and a big thank you to all of you for your questions, advice and opinions. I decided to postpone my trip till tomorrow,1-2-15 and, not go for 8 days as my original post stated due to three days of rain in the forecast, which i don't want to do. Ill be going from China Camp to Big Sur sta...
by christiantmendelsohn
Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Hello Mike & Thank you very much for helping me. Can you please help me further to understand more with the following? 1) (Pat Spring to Hiding Camp): In order for me to prepare, what does "painful" mean so I can prepare, if nothing else, mentally? 2) (Crossing Carmel River): Does &quo...
by christiantmendelsohn
Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:50 am

Hiking for 8 days in Big Sur:seeking areas of concern/advice

Hello All. I will be hiking for 8 days in Big Sur starting 1/1/16 and would very much appreciate any opinions or areas of cern along the route below. I have studied bigsurtrails.net, and VWA's trail conditions. I do plan on reporting my route to give back. I also plan to buy a small saw to clear any...