Search found 39 matches

by Hillary
Mon May 29, 2017 9:16 am
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Mtn/touring Bike passage arroyo Seco to memorial
Replies: 3
Views: 2467

Re: Mtn/touring Bike passage arroyo Seco to memorial

There is primitive camping at Jolon. https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/california/fort-hunter-liggett-primitive-campground You could also call the base and ask specific questions. 831.386.2406. I haven't stayed there in a long while. Last time I did I just plopped down and it was very low key. Didn...
by Hillary
Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:19 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: 30 Miler Without Poison Oak??
Replies: 5
Views: 2943

Re: 30 Miler Without Poison Oak??

I did an east-west through hike from Santa Lucia Memorial > Arroyo Seco > North Coast Ridge Trail > Gamboa > Stone Ridge > Vicente Flat that was ~18. PO wasn't bad. You could do out-and-back to get over 30. Vicente is a zoo though. And inland has face flies and heat right now. I did it in the spring.
by Hillary
Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:57 am
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Horse Pasture Trail
Replies: 37
Views: 27254

Re: Horse Pasture Trail

Date Hiked: July 2, 2016 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Did a trail run from Arroyo Seco to Tassajara Cutoff. Horse Pasture Trail has lots of encroachment and overgrowth to duck under, but easy to keep the trail. Initial creek crossing is a piece of cake an...
by Hillary
Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:44 pm
Topic: Annual Gathering
Replies: 2
Views: 914

Annual Gathering

A huge thanks to all the folks who pulled together the VWA Annual Gathering. It was my first time attending and it was great to meet so many of you who I "know online." I didn't snap any pictures, but if you did I'd love to see them! ...particularly those of whose "other talents"...
by Hillary
Wed May 11, 2016 8:33 pm
Topic: Lowest traffic trails/destinations?
Replies: 17
Views: 3844

Re: Lowest traffic trails/destinations?

Majority of the time I don't see anybody on my treks. But I also avoid the popular areas and busy times of the year, even if it means a little discomfort (bushwhacking, flies, heat, PO). The long drive across the valley to the Sierras doesn't always fit the schedule (and sometimes they have mosquito...
by Hillary
Wed May 11, 2016 7:39 am
Topic: Heads Up! Bad Guy on the Loose!
Views: 826

Re: Heads Up! Bad Guy on the Loose!

Update! Bad guy caught in Seaside! He must have found some way to travel north... Careful which hitchhikers you pick up... Okay. Time to go back outside. Ciao!
badguy.png
by Hillary
Tue May 10, 2016 1:20 pm
Topic: Heads Up! Bad Guy on the Loose!
Views: 826

Heads Up! Bad Guy on the Loose!

Heads up hikers in Silver Peak wilderness area - this guy may be hiding in the hills or trying to hitch a ride... (or maybe he's gonna swim for it??). As an occasional solo female trekker I think I'll be avoiding the area until they nab him. badguy.png Man Wanted in Double Homicide Clovis Police are...
by Hillary
Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 am
Topic: Suggestions for a group over memorial day weekend.
Views: 1159

Re: Suggestions for a group over memorial day weekend.

Lost Valley is nice for groups - plenty of sites to camp at. Words of warning: ...flies. Not sure what the weather will be out there that weekend, but FLIES. In your face. Nonstop. = Headnets! ...hot. Again, not sure the weather, but the valley is stiff hot when it is hot, which makes the trek harde...
by Hillary
Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:13 am
Topic: Lunch
Views: 1018

Re: Lunch

I like to keep my lunches simple yet yummy. Gorp and jerky just doesn't cut it for me. I buy the pouches of tuna (instead of cans) from the grocery and I take single-serve mayo packets and either triscuts or bread or tortilla and make a tuna sandwich. One tuna pouch needs 3-4 mayo pouches. It tastes...
by Hillary
Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:23 am
Topic: Tables (split from "Backcountry hot tubs coming out.")
Views: 1140

Re: Tables (split from "Backcountry hot tubs coming out.")

Having just used a table at Lost Valley, I like them. If I want true wilderness I'll go off trail and do some mountaineering. There is something for everybody out there. My 70+ year old mum loves the tables because she doesn't have to sit low to the ground. I don't know if she'd dig the trek without...