Search found 24 matches

by Alladin
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:51 pm
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: List of trails
Replies: 2
Views: 568

Re: List of trails

Why is it that this URL: https://www.ventanawild.org/forums/ventana-wilderness-trails does not show the Turner Creek trail?? but this one does: https://www.ventanawild.org/trails/ventana-wilderness-trails Something seems to be amiss. And while you are at it, if you are going to show the date the tra...
by Alladin
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 pm
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: List of trails
Views: 568

List of trails

vw.png
It seems like it would be nice to show the date of the last trail report along with the name on this site like shown above.
by Alladin
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:45 pm
Forum: Gear & Gadgets
Topic: Fiskars Power Gear 2.
Replies: 1
Views: 539

Fiskars Power Gear 2.

Dear Forum users, I have been using the Fiskars Power gear 2, it worked fine. Now I find that the bolt labeled "H7" on the image shown below is missing. This bolt appears to be a very short reverse-threaded bolt driven by a hex wrench. Can you sell me the bolt off of your old power gear lo...
by Alladin
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:31 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Dolan Fire/ Carmel Fire
Views: 3994

Dolan Fire/ Carmel Fire

The Dolan fire is a new one today. Dolan Ridge is just north of the north fork of Big Creek. Sounds like Lower and Upper Bee camps will get the torch. The "Cedars" may be lost. That area was spared during the 2008 and 2016 fires. Next, if the "carmel" fire moves west/south-west i...
by Alladin
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm
Topic: Talk of Closing the forest because of car-campers
Replies: 4
Views: 1621

Talk of Closing the forest because of car-campers

What is wrong with just closing the car-camping? In the meeting notes there is a lot of talk of car-campers starting fires, and there is no evidence related to backpackers. Why must they ask for closing the entire national forest? How does closing Tassajara road, or closing any trail help this? Even...
by Alladin
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:18 am
Topic: Stoyakle
Views: 1113

Stoyakle

Is it time to scrap the name "Junipero Serra Peak" in favor of something else?
Maybe 'mount Stoyakel', or 'climate change peak' ?
by Alladin
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm
Topic: Hiker dies in Julia Pfeiffer State Park
Replies: 0
Views: 1273

Hiker dies in Julia Pfeiffer State Park

I am very curious where this guy died. There are very few known deaths in the Ventana or neighboring state parks while "hiking". I can think: -the person who took a shortcut from Ventana double cone towards Big Sur Station -the person who tumbled down Danish creek falls -a person walked of...
by Alladin
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:48 pm
Topic: Plaskett Fire
Replies: 1
Views: 896

Plaskett Fire

Does anyone know what started the Plaskett fire, I saw this exchange on the Big Sur Kate website which implies it was started by campers, is that true? "WALLY'N'CATS June 5, 2020 at 6:52 am Having Plaskett Ridge Rd open to the public during the dry/fire season is like leaving a loaded gun on th...
by Alladin
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:06 am
Topic: Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?
Replies: 30
Views: 9551

Re: Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?

This is a fantastic idea ! Some slight modifications will need to be made to the trail. The switchback corners along the southern section are too tight for bikes, maybe that can be resolved with some SLO mountain biking muscle, a digging bar and some shovels. The tightness of the northern section of...
by Alladin
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 am
Topic: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE
Replies: 44
Views: 13370

Re: Imperious Monks !

The forest service sanctioned website does not mention any limitations about when the Tony Trail can be accessed and neither does this one. It seems like the trailhead should be open all year round. If it is not then the VWA should advise people of the dates of operation. This website is attempting ...