Search found 7 matches

by Jonathan
Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: First time overnight trip in November - suggestions?
Replies: 4
Views: 924

Re: First time overnight trip in November - suggestions?

Pat Springs is lovely, there's some stunning views of the Northern Ventana. 100 people at Sykes in November? Wow, that's insane. I've only seen that number over Spring Break. I went there in January or February once and only saw about 5 people the whole time (Granted it was rainy that weekend).
by Jonathan
Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm
Topic: who needs food stamps
Replies: 15
Views: 2352

Re: who needs food stamps

Vandevere, I'm certainly not advocating the mass destruction of globe lilies. I personally only tried them once for that very reason: is does kill the plant. It's just something good to be aware of, and I don't see the harm in others trying a small amount. I generally also stick to eating things tha...
by Jonathan
Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 pm

I've only ever had Bracken Fern fiddleheads myself; they taste kind of funky. If you can find some globe lilies try digging the bulbs- they're pretty good, like a cross between a tiny onion and potato. And then there's Soap Root- you have to bake the large bulbs overnight apparently, overwise they t...
by Jonathan
Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:29 pm
Topic: First time overnight trip in November - suggestions?
Replies: 4
Views: 924

Re: First time overnight trip in November - suggestions?

Of course you can always hike the Pine Ridge Trail out to Sykes Hot Springs (about 10 miles one-way). Probably won't have too much company considering the season. It's a lovely hike through oaks, redwoods, and chaparral; ending along the Big Sur River with 100 degree hot springs to soak in. Best-mai...
by Jonathan
Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Don't forget Redwood Sorrel, Huckleberries, Douglas-Fir (Tea), and Hazelnuts; and I can't think of any others. Good list!
by Jonathan
Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:43 pm
Forum: Silver Peak Wilderness Trails
Topic: Buckeye Trail
Replies: 111
Views: 83147

Re: Buckeye Trail

Date Hiked: September 2, 2013 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) We hiked this trail as part of a clockwise Buckeye/Cruickshank/Salmon Creek Loop, from the southern trailhead to Villa Creek. At the southern trailhead by the abandoned ranger station there's a gu...
by Jonathan
Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Cone Peak Trail
Replies: 83
Views: 67302

Re: Cone Peak Trail

Date Hiked: September 4, 2013 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) The Cone Peak trail from the trailhead (elev. 3800) is in good shape and generally well graded for the 2+ miles to the Fire Lookout Spur. Trail is exposed 90% of the time which makes for great views and ple...