Search found 8 matches

by rickahill77
Mon May 09, 2016 1:11 pm
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Ride to trailhead from Carmel?
Replies: 2
Views: 2640

Re: Ride to trailhead from Carmel?

The official name escapes me, but it's the trailhead that goes from the Carmel end to Sykes via Redwood camp on the shortest route.

Thanks,

Rick
by rickahill77
Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 pm
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Ride to trailhead from Carmel?
Replies: 2
Views: 2640

Ride to trailhead from Carmel?

This is very short notice, but is anyone driving from Carmel to the trailhead tomorrow morning, Tuesday 5/10/16? I want to hike from that end through Sykes and on down to the Big Sur parking lot. Will pay for a ride. Please call 858-366-5221 or email
Thanks!
Rick
by rickahill77
Thu May 23, 2013 11:06 am
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: China Camp to Sykes specifics?
Replies: 6
Views: 2182

Re: China Camp to Sykes specifics?

Had a successful and fun one-week trip along the PRT--see my full report, and thanks to those who helped with tips. New signs at all junctions EXCEPT Big Sur Trail to Cienega--no sign there at all. Thanks to Boone's advice, I took the right fork instead of going straight as I would have guessed. Def...
by rickahill77
Thu May 23, 2013 10:46 am
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Ventana Camp Trail
Replies: 22
Views: 19050

Re: Ventana Camp Trail

Date Hiked: May 20, 2013 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Contrary to the April report by Justin, I found the VC trail about the same as last summer: no sign, first third of one mile trail overgrown, narrow, with occasionally unavoidable poison oak and tread ...
by rickahill77
Thu May 23, 2013 10:34 am
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Pine Ridge Trail
Replies: 220
Views: 144503

Pine Ridge trail China Camp to BS Station

Date Hiked: May 15, 2013 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Date Hiked: May 15, 2013 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Trail clear from China Camp to Church Creek Divide, still plenty of wildflowers. Abandoned tent and sle...
by rickahill77
Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks, Boone! I studied the maps, but yours is the sort of on-the-ground specific advice I was hoping for. I'll post a report when I get home.

Best, Rick
by rickahill77
Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks, Mike for the good tips. The route mileage calculator was especially helpful. I'm familiar with Sykes and the trail from there to Big Sur station--It's the China Camp to Sykes leg that will be new to me. My plan is to stop for the night at either Redwood or Pine Ridge camp, and I'm wondering ...
by rickahill77
Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 pm

China Camp to Sykes specifics?

Hi, I'm new to the forum; next week I'm taking my first trip from China Camp to Sykes, then on to Big Sur station. (I took my first hike from Big Sur Station to Ventana camp 42 years ago at age 17 and have gone that way to Ventana, Barlow, and Sykes and back several times since). Can someone help me...