Search found 14 matches

by at_scott
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Lost Valley Trail
Replies: 66
Views: 45753

Re: Lost Valley Trail

Date Hiked: April 14, 2018 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) I hiked from Escondido campground to Lost Valley and spent the night at Upper Lost Valley Camp. I found the conditions to be pretty much as Rob had reported them. I really enjoyed the hike and it was...
by at_scott
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE
Replies: 44
Views: 13370

Re: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

optimus, It's confusing about where the trail is closed but I think I might have been wrong in my earlier post. I found this notice on the lpnf website. "Tassajara Road reopened. White Oaks and China Camp Campgrounds reopened. Access to the Carmel River Trail and the Pine Ridge Trail (China Cam...
by at_scott
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 am
Topic: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE
Replies: 44
Views: 13370

Re: IMPORTANT! FOREST CLOSURE

It looks like the Pine Ridge Trail is closed along its entirety. That's a real bummer because this prevents hiking to Pine Valley from China Camp. I don't really understand why the Pine Ridge Trail is closed between China Camp and the Carmel River Trail.
by at_scott
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 am
Topic: LEVEL 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS
Replies: 5
Views: 1896

Re: LEVEL 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS

I did not mean to imply that I thought the letter was a forgery. I'm sure it is real, especially coming from Mike. The point that I was trying to make was that if I go backpacking, read the notices on the LPNF web page, print out my fire permit as instructed and then have a fire I don't think a fine...
by at_scott
Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:19 pm
Topic: LEVEL 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS
Replies: 5
Views: 1896

Re: LEVEL 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS

Hmmm...No mention on the lpnf web page. It can sure be hard to follow the rules when there is conflicting info out there.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/lpnf/alerts-notices

-Scott
by at_scott
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 am
Topic: So. coast ridge road as far south as Lottie Potrero?
Replies: 12
Views: 4019

Re: So. coast ridge road as far south as Lottie Potrero?

I made the same wrong turn that Rob did a week ago. As I was heading steeply downhill, I realized that I was probably not on the "Ridge" road. I even made the same wrong turn on the way back. It is easy to make this mistake because where you have to make a slight left, South Coast Ridge Rd...
by at_scott
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:48 am
Forum: Silver Peak Wilderness Trails
Topic: Buckeye Trail
Replies: 111
Views: 83163

Re: Buckeye Trail

Date Hiked: June 3, 2017 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) I hiked from the intersection of the Cruikshank Trail to Buckeye Camp where I spent the night. The trail has sections where tall grass is growing in it but was otherwise easy to follow. Water is seeping in the t...
by at_scott
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 am
Forum: Silver Peak Wilderness Trails
Topic: Cruikshank Trail
Replies: 131
Views: 74325

Re: Cruikshank Trail

Date Hiked: June 3, 2017 General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread) I hiked with my dog from South Coast Ridge Road to Upper Cruikshank Camp. The trail was mostly clear with the exception of a couple of brush tunnels that were difficult to get low enough to get through...
by at_scott
Thu May 05, 2016 1:54 pm
Topic: Suggestions for a group over memorial day weekend.
Replies: 3
Views: 1182

Re: Suggestions for a group over memorial day weekend.

Thanks for the great feedback! I think we'll end up in Lost Valley.

-at_scott
by at_scott
Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 am
Topic: Suggestions for a group over memorial day weekend.
Replies: 3
Views: 1182

Suggestions for a group over memorial day weekend.

I'm planning a 2-3 day trip for a group of 6 over memorial day weekend. I'd appreciate any suggestions for an appropriate trip that wouldn't be too crowded. Pine Valley seems like a good candidate since the meadow is large and could accommodate our group plus others. Buckeye camp seems like a good c...