Search found 5 matches

by Herb Stroh
Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm
Forum: Silver Peak Wilderness Trails
Topic: San Carpóforo Trail (aka Spruce Creek, Dutra Flats)
Replies: 64
Views: 47075

Re: San Carpóforo Trail (aka Spruce Creek, Dutra Flats)

Date Hiked: November 12, 2010 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) On November 12 I hiked the Forest Road near Ragged Point Inn to San Carporforo Camp. The trail head is about 100 yards south of the Inn. The road climbs fairly steeply to reach a saddle in about 2 miles and...
by Herb Stroh
Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:56 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: San Carpoforo/Elk Camp/Lottie Potrero Trails
Replies: 12
Views: 12451

Re: San Carpoforo/Elk Camp/Lottie Potrero Trails

On November 12 I hiked the Forest Road near Ragged Point Inn to San Carporforo Camp. The trail head is about 100 yards south of the Inn. The road climbs fairly steeply to reach a saddle in about 2 miles and 2200 feet elevation gain. The map does not show a side road at the saddle, but there is a def...
by Herb Stroh
Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:51 pm
Topic: San Carpoforo/Elk Camp/Lottie Potrero Trails
Replies: 12
Views: 12451

San Carpoforo/Elk Camp/Lottie Potrero Trails

Vet Day weekend I am day hiking up the fire road from Ragged Point hoping to reach Elk Camp. If time permits I may scout out the trail to Lottie Portrevo Camp. I know the trip through San Carpoforo to Elk will be difficult to find. If anyone has hints, waypoints or any other useful info it would be ...
by Herb Stroh
Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:23 pm
Topic: Winter Conditions: China camp>Pine Valley>Big Sur Station
Replies: 10
Views: 3723

Re: Winter Conditions: China camp>Pine Valley>Big Sur Statio

Bryan-- We altered our hiking plans for an early Spring hike this year due to reports that the crossing to get to Alder Camp in the Silver Peak Wilderness area was too dangerous. There were substantial rains leading up to that weekend. My suggestion is to check for trip reports just prior to your de...
by Herb Stroh
Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:37 pm
Topic: Winter Conditions: China camp>Pine Valley>Big Sur Station
Replies: 10
Views: 3723

Re: Winter Conditions: China camp>Pine Valley>Big Sur Statio

Bryan-- I would not recommend a belay for water crossing under any circumstances. In swift current it would be nearly impossible to bring a fallen hiker back to the shore. A belay is just as likely to pin a hiker under water as to pull him clear, and a snag- of the line could prevent moving downstre...