Search found 60 matches

by lori
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:30 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: Where is help for Betsey
Replies: 3
Views: 1276

Re: Where is help for Betsey

How come we have volunteer groups clearing trails? Talk to Congress about the gutted National Forests budget. They have stripped it to the barest -- my local forest is not able to do everything, there's a lot of volunteers doing a lot of work. And since participation is dropping off, each year there...
by lori
Sun May 05, 2019 9:19 am
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: 5 Day Hike
Replies: 12
Views: 2620

Re: 5 Day Hike

Mountain lakes? You'll be lucky to find running water. Ventana is drier and lower than many wilderness areas. Naciemento-Fergusson is a legit road, not a trail. Not a hiking route. There is a ton of poison oak and ticks in the Ventana, and a lot of the trails on older maps no longer exist. You'll wa...
by lori
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:54 am
Topic: Hiking with a dog to Vicente Flat
Replies: 6
Views: 2709

Re: Hiking with a dog to Vicente Flat

I have a white dog. I took her once - every time she sat down she had literally 100s of ticks crawling up her. Never. Again.
by lori
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 pm
Topic: Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?
Replies: 30
Views: 9256

Re: Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?

Just to play devil's advocate: if mountain-biking were allowed in the wilderness, then more mountain bikers would show up to help do trail maintenance and would contribute to that effort monetarily. Given the scarcity of volunteers for trail crews in general? I really really really really really re...
by lori
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm
Topic: Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?
Replies: 30
Views: 9256

Re: Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?

The language is such that it opens a door for more than just mountain bikes. Anyone who loves the wilderness needs to call and protest, including mountain bikers. It's just another lousy piece of work that's going to take away public lands and sell it.
by lori
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 am
Forum: Gear & Gadgets
Topic: How to load a heavy pack
Replies: 2
Views: 2202

Re: How to load a heavy pack

Most packs have the sleeve for a hydration bladder down the frame, closest to the back, because water is the heaviest thing you carry. The best distribution of weight depends -- women have a slightly higher center of gravity than men -- but for the most part, I put things in the pack in a manner tha...
by lori
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 am
Forum: Forum Help
Topic: Getting Something done
Views: 2824

Re: Getting Something done

Highway 1 is closed from the north and the south, due to multiple rockfalls and one of the bridges being completely unrepairable -- the construction has started on a new bridge. Naciemento Fergusson was also closed due to road damage which has been repaired. https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/ http://...
by lori
Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 am
Forum: Forum Help
Topic: Getting Something done
Views: 2824

Re: Getting Something done

What makes you think nothing is being done? The forest service is a bureaucracy. There is a procedure for this sort of thing that they are following. It includes sending people out to survey trails and roads to determine what needs to be done. They've already opened Naciemento Ferguson and some of t...
by lori
Thu May 12, 2016 8:25 am
Topic: Lowest traffic trails/destinations?
Replies: 17
Views: 3844

Re: Lowest traffic trails/destinations?

Perhaps you should join the trail crew? Or at least email them. Some of them are on the forum, like Betsy. They have a meetup - http://www.meetup.com/Ventana-Wilderness-Alliance-Meetup/ A friend who's local usually carries a small hand saw, works on a few trail crews, but you can't always get around...
by lori
Wed May 11, 2016 7:39 pm
Topic: Lowest traffic trails/destinations?
Replies: 17
Views: 3844

Re: Lowest traffic trails/destinations?

I dunno, I've been at Pat Springs along with 25 other people I didn't even know....