Search found 10 matches

by bracteata
Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:40 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Pine Ridge Trail reopening
Replies: 12
Views: 2413

Re: Pine Ridge Trail reopening

Apologies for the ignorance on Forest Service/State Park jurisdiction. I thought in this case either Forest Service or State Parks could determine a closure. And by all means the purpose of the trail is for entry into the Forest Service Wilderness area. Even the "Post Creek Trail" has turn...
by bracteata
Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:32 pm
Topic: Pine Ridge Trail reopening
Views: 2413

Pine Ridge Trail reopening

Is the Forest Service insane? The trail is still very dangerous. While the "proceed at your own risk" idea works for most of the Wilderness, the Pine Ridge Trail is full of inexperienced and clueless hikers who are likely to fall. It is also an opportunity to give Sykes Camp some relief fr...
by bracteata
Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Ca. Fish and Game Commissioner kills Mountain Lion in Idaho
Views: 5917

Re: Ca. Fish and Game Commissioner kills Mountain Lion in Id

This range literally no longer exists the populations have since reestablished themselves. This sounds like a contradiction. Mountain Lions re-established their pre-subdivision populations without their historic range? These animals will die by starvation if their population are not culled periodic...
by bracteata
Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 am

I was stating the defense mechanism commonly used by Japanese officials to allow whale hunting. On Wolf hunting in Montana: despite observations of predator prey imbalance, humans are to blame for this unbalance and nature can take care of itself. The ranching and hunting lobby in Montana uses this ...
by bracteata
Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Hunters claim the State of Idaho allows hunting of Mountain Lion for "scientific" and "conservation" purposes. Japan uses the same logic to continue the slaughter of whales. Humans have systematically eradicated scores of top predator species under ridiculous rationalizations. It...
by bracteata
Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 am
Topic: Hot springs discovered on "Brown Cone"
Replies: 1
Views: 792

Hot springs discovered on "Brown Cone"

Three hikers have discovered hot springs on the unnamed peak known as "Brown Cone" in the Ventana Wilderness. They are swimmable and a comfortable ~100 degrees. Who would have known? Anyone else been there?
by bracteata
Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:11 pm
Topic: unpermitted project at Pico Blanco Summer Camp?
Replies: 4
Views: 1270

unpermitted project at Pico Blanco Summer Camp?

I regularly do internet searches looking at environmental issues and projects around the Santa Lucias. I came across this website that shows video and photos of a major land clearing and grading project at Camp Pico Blanco of the Boy Scouts. I did some research and made some phone calls and looks li...
by bracteata
Sun May 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Topic: Tree Planting after the fire
Replies: 8
Views: 2149

Re: Tree Planting after the fire

No offense to the poster, but this really appears to be a commercial post/ advertisement,
by bracteata
Wed May 06, 2009 1:59 pm
Forum: Trails and Trailwork Discussion
Topic: Water in Logwood (Timber Top)
Replies: 4
Views: 1494

Re: Water in Logwood (Timber Top)

There is usually a little trickle at least down in Lafler Canyon as the Boronda Trail gets close to it at about 2200 feet. The only other reliable water source I am familiar with is Cold Spring Camp. Also, the historic trail down to Logwood creek opposite the DeAngulo Trail is completely gone and ha...
by bracteata
Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:33 pm
Topic: Wild Sweet Pea in the Santa Lucias
Replies: 1
Views: 784

Wild Sweet Pea in the Santa Lucias

Does anyone know if wild sweet pea native or invasive to the Santa Lucias?

I see it around roadsides and disturbed areas, and I have read that it is "invasive".