Search found 18 matches

by sfrake
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:06 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Marble Peak Trail
Replies: 115
Views: 70068

Re: Marble Peak Trail

Date Hiked: March 16, 2024 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) My son and I hiked the Big Sur/S. Fork/Marble Peak/Coast Ridge loop on 3/16 via the Boronda Trail. I’m writing updates on the trails we used except for Boronda (freeway and motor inn with 20 or so te...
by sfrake
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:04 pm
Topic: Big Sur Trail
Replies: 85
Views: 66793

Re: Big Sur Trail

Date Hiked: March 16, 2024 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) My son and I hiked the Big Sur/S. Fork/Marble Peak/Coast Ridge loop on 3/16 via the Boronda Trail. I’m writing updates on the trails we used except for Boronda (freeway and motor inn with 20 or so te...
by sfrake
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:03 pm
Topic: South Fork Trail
Replies: 55
Views: 39626

Re: South Fork Trail

by sfrake
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:32 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Fording S. Fork Big Sur River
Replies: 2
Views: 225

Re: Fording S. Fork Big Sur River

Thanks a lot for the reply Leor, that's great information. Also, making one crossing is one thing, having to deal with multiple crossings is another. Your last sentence is spot on, as you can see at the USGS page with the last storm we had. Doubtful it will be below your threshold next Thursday. Als...
by sfrake
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:13 pm
Topic: Fording S. Fork Big Sur River
Views: 225

Fording S. Fork Big Sur River

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge regarding whether the South Fork Big Sur could ever get so high that fording it would be unwise (upstream from Rainbow Camp). I was considering hiking the S. Fork Trail next Thursday, but that is shortly after many inches of rain will have fallen during th...
by sfrake
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:45 am
Topic: South Fork Trail
Views: 394

South Fork Trail

Betsy M. wrote in the Trail Reports that the full length of the South Fork Trail is now clear. I just wanted to express my gratitude to everyone who did the hard work. This is great news, thanks!
by sfrake
Mon May 15, 2023 2:04 pm
Topic: Turner Creek Trail
Replies: 49
Views: 30838

Re: Turner Creek Trail

Date Hiked: May 14, 2023 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) This is an update of the report below. After hiking it yesterday on the way to VDC, I'd rate the entire Turner Creek trail clear-passable . There are just a few downed trees that are easily hopped over...
by sfrake
Mon May 15, 2023 1:56 pm
Topic: Skinner Ridge Trail
Replies: 57
Views: 42728

Re: Skinner Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: May 14, 2023 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) This is an update of the report below. From the Turner Creek Trail junction to Devil's Peak, the trail is now clear . What a contrast from two months ago! The rest of the report below is still generall...
by sfrake
Mon May 15, 2023 1:51 pm
Topic: Ventana Double Cone Trail
Replies: 96
Views: 72490

Re: Ventana Double Cone Trail

Date Hiked: May 14, 2023 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) This is an update of the report below. Thanks to some recent trail clearing work, my son and I were able to complete a day hike to VDC from The Hoist on 5/14. From the Skinner Ridge Trail to the Ventan...
by sfrake
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:36 pm
Topic: Turner Creek Trail
Replies: 49
Views: 30838

Re: Turner Creek Trail

Date Hiked: March 26, 2023 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) My son and I attempted a hike to VDC from The Hoist on 3/26, but the going was so slow that we ended up turning around well short (the base of Uncle Sam Mountain) Wonderfully, the Turner Creek Trail ...