Search found 124 matches

by Jim Ringland
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:51 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Photo Trip Report of the Big Sur Trail Loop
Replies: 1
Views: 379

Photo Trip Report of the Big Sur Trail Loop

Three weeks ago I did the Big Sur Trail Loop. I went up the Boronda Trail and then did a big loop on the North Coast Ridge Road (NCCR), Big Sur Trail, Pine Ridge Trail, Terrace Creek Trail, and NCCR again. I wrote up some of my experiences in the Trail Reports forum. That led to an e-mail discussion...
by Jim Ringland
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:01 am
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Terrace Creek Trail
Replies: 26
Views: 20941

Re: Terrace Creek Trail

Date Hiked: April 1, 2022 General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained) I did this from the Terrace Creek Camp to the North Coast Ridge Road. Lots of up, but the trail is in great shape. Outlaw Camp is just a wide spot in the trail. There appears to have once been another...
by Jim Ringland
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:00 am
Topic: Pine Ridge Trail
Replies: 220
Views: 144606

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: March 31, 2022 General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained) Section: Big Sur Trail Junction to Terrace Creek Camp Really great shape all the way, so there’s not much to write. Just a few sections of narrow trail and tight turns on the way down to Redwood. I w...
by Jim Ringland
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:57 am
Topic: Boronda Trail
Replies: 32
Views: 28574

Re: Boronda Trail

Date Hiked: March 29, 2022 General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained) I went up on March 29 and back down on April 1. Save a very few places where some broom or deerweed was leaning into the trail, this was wide open. Stiff grades. Great views. I enjoyed the fields of ...
by Jim Ringland
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:55 am
Topic: Big Sur Trail
Replies: 77
Views: 49462

Re: Big Sur Trail

Date Hiked: March 30, 2022 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) I hiked the entire trail, from Cold Spring to Cienega Camp on the 30th and from Cienega Camp to the Pine Ridge Trail junction on the 31st. As Betsy and others have noted, trail conditions vary from wilderness ...
by Jim Ringland
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Water on the Pine Ridge Trail from China Camp to Redwood Cam
Replies: 5
Views: 926

Re: Water on the Pine Ridge Trail from China Camp to Redwood

The perennial spring (really a stream that's one of the Carmel River headwaters) is about 3/4 mile west of the Divide Camp junction. The Big Sur Trailmap (https://bigsurtrailmap.net/) shows the spot.
by Jim Ringland
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 pm
Topic: Carmel River Trail
Replies: 144
Views: 83356

Re: Carmel River Trail

Date Hiked: April 12, 2021 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) Section: Church Creek Divide Junction to Pine Valley -- Clear Were it not for a few low shrubs brushing against the knees and thighs, plus the one duck-under deadfall, I’d have rated this as Wilderness Freeway...
by Jim Ringland
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Topic: Church Creek Trail
Replies: 52
Views: 37045

Re: Church Creek Trail

Date Hiked: April 13, 2021 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Section: Pine Ridge Trail to the Church Creek Use Camp – Passable This is a mighty short trail segment – about a half mile – so there’s not much to say. Some open trail, some easy brush and deadfall ...
by Jim Ringland
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 pm
Topic: Bear Basin Connector
Replies: 17
Views: 15439

Re: Bear Basin Connector

Date Hiked: April 13, 2021 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Like the adjacent Bear Basin Trail, this mixes brushy and open sections. In some places the brush is coming in from both sides, and if the whole trail had been like that, I’d have rated the trail as ...
by Jim Ringland
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:55 pm
Topic: Bear Basin Trail
Replies: 30
Views: 25625

Re: Bear Basin Trail

Date Hiked: April 13, 2021 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Section: Pine Valley to Bear Basin Connector Junction As others have indicated, much is clear but there are several places where you need to slide through some brush. It’s a bit worse at the top than...