Search found 62 matches

by js_radford
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:35 am
Forum: Gear & Gadgets
Topic: Glove Repair - finally, a solution!
Replies: 0
Views: 460

Glove Repair - finally, a solution!

For leather (or other fabric?) gloves ... I have had a problem for many years. My right hand glove will INEVITABLY get holes in one or more of my fingertips and soon, despite the left hand glove being perfectly fine, I have to get out a brand new set. What a waste! I've tried sewing as a good quick ...
by js_radford
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:49 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Marble Peak Trail
Replies: 106
Views: 60653

Re: Marble Peak Trail

Date Hiked: May 28, 2019 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) I hiked from Arroyo Seco to Strawberry and thence to Rainbow and back, May 24-28. Delightfully moderate weather (drizzly a bit Sunday) and lots of water everywhere it is usually found and then some. FA...
by js_radford
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:26 pm
Topic: Partially full IsoPropane canisters
Replies: 3
Views: 3130

Partially full IsoPropane canisters

CAVEAT: my suggestions, as I am sure any VWA staff will tell you, are to be used at your own risk. I think they are quite safe when done properly. NOT safe, even dangerous to limb and property when done incorrectly! (Not sure what the legalities may be here). The reason I post this stuff is that I h...
by js_radford
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:12 pm
Topic: The Kelly Kettle
Replies: 4
Views: 4934

Re: The Kelly Kettle

Any wood stove (Kelly Kettle included) is restricted like a fire. At least, on trips last year, I found for certain that my wood stove was prohibited while Jet Boil and canister stoves were still OK.
by js_radford
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 am
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Strange Night Visitor
Replies: 9
Views: 4165

Re: Strange Night Visitor

I've long wondered about Thimble Berries as well. The fruits are so rare, partly because they produce so few flowers to begin with. But I assure you their scarcity is not due to Bears. There simply have been near-zero bears in the Ventana in the past 39 years I have hiked past thousands of fruitless...
by js_radford
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 pm
Topic: Strange Night Visitor
Replies: 9
Views: 4165

Re: Strange Night Visitor - SOLVED

I went back to Rainbow Camp last weekend with Betsy and her saw crew working South Fork Trail. I decided to check for tracks in the one place tracks might show up - in a very muddy section immediately East of Rainbow Camp main area, where I had heard something large 4 weeks earlier breaking branches...
by js_radford
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:24 am
Topic: GPS tagging of photos - why not?
Replies: 0
Views: 822

GPS tagging of photos - why not?

I am not finding out why many of my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) photos fail to get GPS tags and location data. I recently took a whole bunch of photos of deadfalls east of South Fork Camp, eagerly expecting to be able to report exact locations (+/- GPS errors) of what I found. When I got home...
by js_radford
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:37 pm
Topic: ID your Flower the easy way!
Replies: 10
Views: 3082

Re: ID your Flower the easy way!

REVISION: I don't know what I was thinking (June 23 post) calling the photos "mediocre". I think I was simply not bothering to enlarge them. At least enlarged the photos on the web site are quite good. Still I think I was right that the photos emphasize flowers and show too little of other...
by js_radford
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:46 am

I just got a "used" copy of "Wildflowers of Monterey County" by Gubernick and Yadon. I paid only $10.83 total and got what appears to be a new book, normally selling for $28. It's a paperback but high quality printing. The flower photography is nothing short of stunning! There is...
by js_radford
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:37 am

Mike, Thanks for the nice invite to do iNaturalist thing, which I started doing in May's BioBlitz. You may not have noticed me; I kept a low profile and was much more the trainee/observer than contributor. And I was so damn sweaty that very warm day, I was constantly taking shirt off and wearing T-s...