Search found 5 matches

by zenko
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Bear Sighting by Pelon Camp (Lost Valley Trail)
Replies: 12
Views: 2983

Re: Bear Sighting by Pelon Camp (Lost Valley Trail)

I told Leslie James (a Tassajara old-timer) about my sighting. In '96 a young black bear investigated the compost shed at Tassajara, but was warded off by some monks clashing pot lids. Never came back. The bear I saw seemed like he was at home, not wandering through... here's the clawed-up tree pict...
by zenko
Wed May 27, 2020 5:19 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Bear Sighting by Pelon Camp (Lost Valley Trail)
Replies: 12
Views: 2983

Bear Sighting by Pelon Camp (Lost Valley Trail)

I've lived at Tassajara for the past 5 years, so I've heard a few stories about bear scat in Willow Creek and sightings along the coast. I feel lucky to have a story myself to share with other Ventana enthusiasts. On May 20th, I hiked from Tassajara to the junction of Lost Valley and Indian Valley t...
by zenko
Tue May 26, 2020 2:23 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Horse Pasture Trail
Replies: 37
Views: 27257

Re: Horse Pasture Trail

Date Hiked: May 22, 2020 General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained) My first time hiking the trail from Marble Peak to the Tassajara cutoff since the trail crew did their work. Really beautiful, and no where near the bush-bashing crucible it once was. The poison oak ha...
by zenko
Tue May 26, 2020 2:12 pm
Topic: Marble Peak Trail
Replies: 106
Views: 60617

Re: Marble Peak Trail

Date Hiked: May 20, 2020 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Came over from Tassajara on the Tony Trail, hiking west to the Lost Valley trailhead. Tread apparent throughout the hike. In the Willow Creek watershed there's a heavy load of poison oak, almost unavoi...
by zenko
Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 pm
Topic: Lost Valley Trail
Replies: 65
Views: 45029

Re: Lost Valley Trail

Date Hiked: May 21, 2020 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Hiked from Marble Peak Trail down to the junction of Lost Valley and Indian Valley Trails, where I camping near the wide green waterfall. I started early the next morning. The trail was a freeway going...