Search found 106 matches

by Rob
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Backcountry suggestion?
Replies: 7
Views: 885

Re: Backcountry suggestion?

You don't see a whole lot of suggestions for backpacking trips which have significant off-trail travel in the Ventana Wilderness. Ever wonder why that is ? Some personal observations from having hiked there for about 20 years - * The brush is huge and impenetrable in many places. * Wildfires sometim...
by Rob
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:43 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Arroyo Seco Trail
Replies: 64
Views: 45048

Re: Arroyo Seco Trail

Date Hiked: January 9, 2022 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) I hiked this from the NCRT down to the trailhead near Memorial Park yesterday. There was a cairn at the top, and a new-looking sign on the left (facing downhill), but it was in the shade, and you ha...
by Rob
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:11 pm
Topic: Cook Springs Camp Trail
Replies: 21
Views: 19021

Re: Cook Springs Camp Trail

Date Hiked: January 9, 2022 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Hiked down and then back up the next morning. The trail was covered in most places with a few inches of snow, probably deposited during the storms over the holidays. It was low-angled and soft enoug...
by Rob
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:06 pm
Topic: North Coast Ridge Trail
Replies: 47
Views: 18694

Re: North Coast Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: January 9, 2022 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) I hiked this trail from its apex (between the Carrizo junction and Cook Spring connector) down to the junction with the Arroyo Seco trail. The upper sections still had a surprising amount of snow le...
by Rob
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:56 am
Topic: Carrizo Trail
Replies: 51
Views: 46805

Re: Carrizo Trail

Date Hiked: January 8, 2022 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) I hiked this trail from the bottom up to the Cook Spring connector. It was in surprisingly good condition. I could see at least a few other people had been on it since the rain and snow over the hol...
by Rob
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:27 am
Topic: What the heck is this?
Replies: 3
Views: 779

Re: What the heck is this?

Nice picture, and glad you enjoyed your trip. California Buckeye is often seen by hikers in the SF bay area. From looking at the distribution map on Wikipedia, it does not appear to be native to southern California, though the blog post you referenced says it may appear as far south as northern LA c...
by Rob
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:36 am
Topic: Lost Valley Trail
Replies: 65
Views: 44623

Re: Lost Valley Trail

Date Hiked: November 7, 2021 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) I hiked this trail from Escondido Campground to about the second crossing of Higgins Creek, and a bit beyond. The following is a breakdown of conditions. Escondido CG was under construction, looked...
by Rob
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:22 pm
Topic: Closing Highway One through Big Sur permanently
Replies: 1
Views: 573

Re: Closing Highway One through Big Sur permanently

April 1st ... The last couple paragraphs had me chuckling at such absurdities as "Funiculars For Dummies: A How-To Guide", and the imagery of Elon Musk helping to dismantle a Tesla supercharger and load it up in an EV Cybertruck. The fictional instagram influencer was a nice touch, too. Go...
by Rob
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:27 pm
Topic: All Los Padres National Forest is Now Closed
Replies: 12
Views: 3299

Re: All Los Padres National Forest is Now Closed

You might also recall that the winter of 2016 - 2017 was very, very wet, after a number of drought years. Palo Colorado Road was washed out. Mud Creek slide obliterated the highway to the south. A bridge had to be replaced. I remember that year ... kind of crazy. Sounds like lots of unstable ground.