Search found 23 matches

by BP22
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:57 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: The Window via Jackson Creek
Replies: 1
Views: 148

The Window via Jackson Creek

trail rating: DIFFICULT I camped at Fox Camp and started up Jackson Creek at 6:45am. The whole route is difficult, with brush and countless deadfall, and is best described in sections: Little Sur to Happy Fork : This section is by far the easiest. There is sometimes remnants of a trail, but that is ...
by BP22
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:18 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: South Fork Trail
Replies: 48
Views: 33435

Re: South Fork Trail

Date Hiked: July 19, 2022 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) This entry only describes the section from Rainbow Camp to South Fork Camp. Overnight to South Fork Camp. Basically, everything Leor says from the previous entry remains accurate. I would rate this po...
by BP22
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:02 pm
Topic: Carmel River Trail
Replies: 144
Views: 83355

Re: Carmel River Trail

Date Hiked: July 17, 2022 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Day hike from Los Padres Dam to Hiding Camp. Overall, I found this beautiful trail to be passable with sections and aspects that are difficult. Bypass Trail Passable. I'm sure glad it exists, so we ca...
by BP22
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:55 pm
Topic: Jackson Camp Trail
Replies: 8
Views: 9766

Re: Jackson Camp Trail

Date Hiked: July 9, 2022 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) The trail from the scout camp to Jackson Camp is passable in that there is little brush encroachment and the it's pretty clear where to follow. The whole route is flagged, thank you very much to whomev...
by BP22
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:51 am
Topic: permit system
Replies: 1
Views: 374

permit system

https://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/local_news/as-big-sur-tourism-soars-the-federal-government-wants-to-protect-its-land/article_5cb6ddb0-f7e1-11ec-aeca-17372a8ab62f.html Personally, I think everything is fine the way it is in terms of the backcountry self-permit system; maybe ban all campfire...
by BP22
Wed May 11, 2022 2:22 pm
Topic: Water at Pat Spring?
Replies: 3
Views: 604

Re: Water at Pat Spring?

I returned to Pat Spring yesterday and the flow was really good! it hasn't really rained over the last month when it was low, so maybe the spring was obstructed or something, but it was nice to see the good flow.
by BP22
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:35 pm
Topic: Water at Pat Spring?
Replies: 3
Views: 604

Re: Water at Pat Spring?

I was there today, and the water flow at the spring was alarmingly low. It was a tiny trickle. the weird thing is, I was there 2 weeks ago and the flow was good. I remember even last summer, in July, the flow was robust. I've actually never seen it this low. It took about over a minute to fill a 12 ...
by BP22
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:30 pm
Topic: Pine Creek Trail
Replies: 9
Views: 14118

Re: Pine Creek Trail

Date Hiked: November 17, 2021 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Hiked down to Pine Creek Camp from long ridge-Devil's peak direction. The trail from comings camp intersection down to Pine Creek Camp was suprisingly clear. I would rate the trail as passable (on...
by BP22
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:24 pm
Topic: Mount Carmel Trail
Replies: 23
Views: 20090

Re: Mount Carmel Trail

Date Hiked: November 13, 2021 General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread) this rating pertains to the short trail from Devil's Peak to Mount Carmel. To put it simply, 5 years after the fire, Mother Nature is reclaiming this mountain. The trail starts off clear as it dip...
by BP22
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:46 pm
Topic: Turner Creek Trail
Replies: 42
Views: 25936

Re: Turner Creek Trail

Date Hiked: October 27, 2021 General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined) I've finally managed to clear this trail from Long Ridge all the way to Apple Tree Camp. The trail is passable all the way to Skinner Ridge Saddle and beyond, but this portion is clear. Ever since the 2016 f...