Search found 45 matches

by AaronP
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm
Forum: Gear & Gadgets
Topic: [FOUND] Mini Tripod
Replies: 0
Views: 468

[FOUND] Mini Tripod

I found a mini tripod on the top of Kandlebinder this past week. If you are the owner or know who it may belong to I’d like to return it. Feel free to contact via email at
by AaronP
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:41 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Carmel River Trail
Replies: 144
Views: 84294

Re: Carmel River Trail

Date Hiked: September 1, 2020
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Trail is a wilderness freeway from Church Creek Divide down to Jack's Cabin. The use trail from the cabin to Pine Falls can get slim in places, but is passable.
by AaronP
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:32 pm
Forum: Ventana Wilderness Trails
Topic: Pine Ridge Trail
Replies: 220
Views: 145753

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Date Hiked: September 1, 2020 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Hiked from Tassajara Rd to Pine Falls before the closure order was in affect. We could see from the top of the first ridge that the Dolan fire had jumped over Marble Peak and into the Lost Valley ...
by AaronP
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:31 pm
Forum: State Parks Trails
Topic: Andrew Molera State Park: East Molera Trail
Replies: 26
Views: 22192

Re: Andrew Molera State Park: East Molera Trail

Date Hiked: June 3, 2020 General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident) Hiked into LPNF to post summit and camped on the hill just below. The first few switchbacks in the beginning are loaded with ticks and closer to the saddle we witnessed a 4 foot rattlesnake cross the t...
by AaronP
Sun May 31, 2020 5:47 pm
Forum: Ventana Discussion
Topic: Lost in Translation[Bottchers Gap]
Replies: 8
Views: 1770

Re: Lost in Translation[Bottchers Gap]

I am a Big Sur local and myself had never been to Botchers. I hiked there solo on May 9th 2020 for a morning hike not overnight. I also ran into said individual, his name is Larry. He was very nice but also informed me the LPNF was closed. I had not done my homework enough to know he was wrong, dev...
by AaronP
Sun May 31, 2020 5:40 pm
Topic: White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek
Replies: 13
Views: 2324

Re: White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek

This past weekend I parked at The Hoist and on the way up Long Ridge Road I was greeting by a local who notified me that that portion of Los Padres has been closed for years since the fire and that I was walking on a private road. I proceeded anyways. I saw no signs at the trail head notifying of c...
by AaronP
Sat May 30, 2020 7:18 pm
Topic: Lost in Translation[Bottchers Gap]
Replies: 8
Views: 1770

Re: Lost in Translation[Bottchers Gap]

I wrote the Wikipedia article about Bottcher's Gap and most of the WP articles about the Little Sur River, Camp Pico Blanco, and Pico Blanco. I found a reference some time ago that "Sherman Comings, a descendant of a family who purchased property near Bottcher's Gap in 1927, says his family sp...
by AaronP
Wed May 27, 2020 10:44 pm
Topic: Bear Sighting by Pelon Camp (Lost Valley Trail)
Replies: 12
Views: 2983

Re: Bear Sighting by Pelon Camp (Lost Valley Trail)

Picture or not this actually makes me very excited for the area. The last time a friend and I hiked the Marble Peak Trail (last fall) we encountered a fair amount of scat near the connector trail and there was a point here I had my headphones in and came around a ridge where I heard some fairly loud...
by AaronP
Sat May 02, 2020 12:23 pm
Topic: Monterey Ranger District COVID-19 Closure- 4/16-6/1/20
Replies: 32
Views: 7588

Re: Monterey Ranger District COVID-19 Closure- 4/16-6/1/20

The Santa Lucia Creek trail, Lost Valley, the arroyo seco trail, and the Carrizo trail are not listed in the order. if I drive on Milpitas Road and park at the trailhead, am I going to get a ticket? Milpitas Road is on the updated list of road closures and also on the map of closures so I would adv...
by AaronP
Sat May 02, 2020 12:08 pm
Topic: A backpacker decided to take the Santa Lucia Trail ...
Replies: 3
Views: 1684

Re: A backpacker decided to take the Santa Lucia Trail ...

I was planning a 50 mile thru hike last year using that Santa Lucia connector trail, glad I went up to Junipero Serra and scouted it beforehand. Just after about 50 yards or so I was confident that would not be wise. Agreed, glad he made it out okay. I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson on that trek.