Cook Carrizo Connector

Post a reply

Trail Report
Please enter the following information:

Here give the SPECIFIC CONDITIONS ENCOUNTERED such as tread washouts, encroaching brush, downed trees, slides, or other difficulties following the trail.  Water reports or dangerous conditions particularly requested !

BBCode is ON
[img] is OFF
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are OFF

Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Cook Carrizo Connector

Re: Cook Carrizo Connector

by Jim Ringland » Sun May 14, 2023 3:14 pm

Date Hiked: May 11, 2023
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

I hiked this several times: from the Carrizo Trail to the Cook Springs area on the 11th, back and forth while day hiking on the 12th, and out on the 13th.

This always was more of path than a real trail, even when it was put in a bit over a decade ago. The steep loose hillside is slowly reclaiming it. I got off trail a couple of times – even the fourth time through! – and had to check my GPS to re-find the thin tread. In places, the tread is clearly visible but canted almost to match the neighboring hillside, making for difficult footing. It’s broken down in a few places too. The good news is that except for an occasional branch or isolated shrub, there are no obstacles. It's all quite open. Even if off trail, the way will not be blocked, although the footing may be iffy.

Immediately before the junction with the Cook Spring Camp Trail, a stream has washed out the trail. It’s a very loose slope down and back up. Crossing is do-able, but it’s a scramble. Going down, sliding is unavoidable. Going up, one looks for branches and bushes to grab. I fear on each crossing I did more damage. I tried it in various routes. I even tried going above the washout, but all that does is exchange one piece of steep loose slope for another.

On the Cook Spring Camp Trail, the junction is right where a big sugar pine has come down. The remains of the old cairn marking the junction are on the downhill side of the deadfall. Going southbound, to work the washout, I found it easier to start from the uphill side of that deadfall. Going northbound, maybe the high detour or coming up south of the deadfall makes for the easier crossing of the washout ... maybe.

Re: Cook Carrizo Connector

by pantilat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Date Hiked: December 10, 2017
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

The Cook-Carrizo connector is underneath the sugar pines so it is not a section conducive to rapid brush growth but it was recently brushed so any brush has been cleared. The junction with the Carrizo Trail is marked by a wooden post and currently there's also some orange flagging. The tread is faint but followable as it traverses the hillside. The junction with the Cooks Spring Trail is marked by a rock cairn. Flow at Cooks Spring is slow (20 oz takes about a minute).

Cook Carrizo Connector

by VWA Admin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Submit reports for the Cook Carrizo Connector here.