BearFlat

Post a reply

Smilies
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is OFF
Smilies are ON

Topic review

Expand view Topic review: BearFlat

Re: BearFlat

by dknapp1 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Somewhere in there are bear basin pics

http://www.trondant.com/photos

Also, the USFS flyover showed Bear Basin burned hot. I have 4 Bear Basin pics from the USFS - can probably upload them somewhere in a day or two if anyone wants to see them. IIRC, they're pretty close up, and the pics I have at the above website are probably a wider view.

dbk

by Hitch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:43 pm

[quote="mikesplain"]Sounds like Bear Basin.
Not sure how those large trees fared,
but that was ground zero in the 6/21 lightning strike
that started what would become the largest fire
(hence the name "Basin Complex")[/quote]

I think you're right.

I didnt know that where it started, but it makes it all the more miraculous Jack's place survived.

by mikesplain » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Sounds like Bear Basin.
Not sure how those large trees fared,
but that was ground zero in the 6/21 lightning strike
that started what would become the largest fire
(hence the name "Basin Complex")

by sur4ever » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:18 pm

not sure if this completely answers your question but here's a video of Jack English's homecoming after the fire and it shows some of the burned areas around his place.

http://www.mercurynewsphoto.com/blog/2008/07/27/trees/

BearFlat

by Hitch » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:58 pm

From memory I think its called Bear Flat. Its between the Pine Ridge summit and Jack's place, about a mile south or so.

There was a fantastic stand of large oaks down on the little flat ,heading up trail toward the creek the trees changed into the stand of the biggest Madrona I've ever seen and south where the rise begins was a nice stand of Ponderosa. the Madona are world class and the bracketing of the oaks and pines ... there is only one Ventana.

I heard quite some time ago that Jack and his place are both intact, is that correct?

Obviously I wonder if anyone knows whether those great stands survived?

Thanx

Hitch