Remote Car Camping

Post a reply

Smilies
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is OFF
Smilies are ON

Topic review

Expand view Topic review: Remote Car Camping

Re: Remote Car Camping

by gene a » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 pm

Thank you, gfelsman, for saying that. Especially the part about not posting it here or on social media.

by gfelsman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:34 pm

I have to agree with Mike, stay in your region please.

Just as important if you have a special place please do not post it here or on Social Media in any way shape or form. Keep it to yourself. Whether in lockdown or not. It will only cause others to flock to your spot making it not so special anymore.

As of now if the Big Sur Region or any other place gets overloaded it may be closed in short order ruining it for everyone. We do not want that.

Be Safe, Healthy.

by mikesplain » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:34 pm

The Los Padres National Forest Monterey Ranger District is more than 85% federally-designated Wilderness. That's a point of pride, but Wilderness is by definition roadless. In other words, there are very few roads around the perimeters of an area with a population base of several million humans within a couple-hour's drive. Compounding this is the fact that all developed Forest Service (& State Park) campgrounds are closed.
The practical implication is that there is honestly no "remote car camping" to be had. Pretty much any place one can drive will have people already there & chances are, they won't be people who are taking this pandemic seriously so you sure as heck don't want to camp anywhere near them. We've gotten reports of 80+ vehicles at dispersed sites along Plaskett & Prewitt Ridge roads, for instance- apparently some think "shelter in place" means "extended spring break".
Locals are consequently lobbying decision-makers to close the Forest outright & with the potential burden on scarce medical & search & rescue resources, it's easy to understand why. Also, Monterey County has severe travel restrictions in place & entering the county for anything resembling non-essential travel is frankly illegal.
Put plainly, folks travelling from far & wide to recreate in the Big Sur backcountry will (at best) end up being the reason one of the very few places locals can still escape the indoors is closed to all. Please don't be one of those people. Please stay home!

by AaronP » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:40 pm

I did a backpacking trip on Valentines/President's Day weekend with a couple of buds in Silver Peak Wilderness. The last night we stayed at Lions Den Camp and there was one site with quite an epic view, although a family of 4 had already taken it. That camp had ample space and there were 4 different groups that shared the site that night. If you're lucky enough to snag the main site with the view I would suggest this spot. It's about only 1/2 mile hike from a fire road and has a water supply nearby with multiple day hikes too. I'd recommend going up to Silver Peak as it has an amazing panoramic view of the nearby mountain range and a great view of the ocean. You can use https://bigsurtrailmap.net/trailconditions.html to see nearby fire roads and camp accessibility to choose a good spot. If you're looking for solitude, i'd opt for a weekday as trails are more likely to have lower foot traffic then. Last weekend I backpacked for 3 days in northern Ventana Wilderness and didn't see a single person.

Remote Car Camping

by KevMcCoy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:59 pm

I am planning my newborn son's first camping trip and would like to find a special site for us to visit. My wife and I usually backpack into remote / wild locations that aren't crowded and offer up lots of scenic beauty. Would like to replicate that as much as possible in a car-camping experience.

I'm aware of Prewitt Ridge and have camped off of some of the other fire roads in the backcountry.

Wondering if anyone would be so kind as to share a special place that has a view / is quite and remote? Bonus points if there is water (a stream or the ocean) or mellow trails somewhat close by.

Happy to provide my email address if you'd like to keep the location secret. I'd guard it as well.