Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Any botany experts?

Any botany experts?

This is the place for everything else.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Any botany experts?

Postby domanton on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Sharp & Fellows Inc. has been in business as a railroad contracting company since 1877. Specializing in railroad track construction, maintenance, inspection and lubrication, design, demolition, and special projects. Our main goal is to continue to exceed all customer expectations and railroad service needs. With two locations to better serve you in Los Angeles and San Bernardino, our company is the right one for you.
domanton

Re: Any botany experts?

Postby steveu on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

I don't think your tree will make it, a number of reasons, one lack of moisture in summer, the natural range is in the fog belt providing summer moisture, second the cold would probably if not kill the tree seriously stunt it,
steveu

Any botany experts?

Postby VentanaMaster on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 pm

On December 8th of 2011 I hiked into the Ventana along the Pine Ridge Trail from Tassajara Road at the China Camp trailhead in order to plant a tree using my old girlfriend's ashes as mulch. Back in the day (1970s) she and I did many hikes together throughout the Ventana and Sierra, and upon her deathbed in 2010 (metastatic bone cancer) she asked that her ashes be sent to me from Florida so I could scatter them somewhere in the mountains. I decided to go one better and use her ashes in the planting of a tree to her memory.
I chose a Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) as it is a native tree to Monterey County. What I don't know is if this tree whose natural range hugs the oceanside coastal zone of the Monterey Peninsula will survive the extremes of where I planted it. It is planted above 4,000 feet where it snows annually. I just hiked in there again yesterday to check on the tree for the first time since I planted it 34 days ago and it seems to be thriving.

Hopefully the tree survives for the long-term and that decades from now a towering, twisted, gorgeous Cypress stands overlooking the Ventana Wilderness in loving memory of a very good woman who loved the mountains.
VentanaMaster

Return to Off-Topic