In conjunction with the US Forest Service, the VWA has instituted the Partners in Preservation – Archaeological Site Steward program. The purpose of the program is to train and deploy volunteers to monitor existing sites in the Los Padres National Forest and report signs of degradation from human, animal and weather abuse so that steps can be taken to preserve them.
Volunteers are trained in the following areas:
• Monterey Ranger District prehistory and natural resources
• Native American perspectives
• The Archaeological Resources Protection Act and other pertinent legislation
• Role-playing exercises for interacting with the public in the field
• Site stewardship tracking processes