1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

As Boon Hughey’s digital reproduction of the first (1924) U. S. Forest Service map and brochure of the Monterey Ranger District was a popular feature in the Spring, 2006 edition of the Double Cone Register, it seemed that a reproduction of the second of map and brochure would be equally well received. The 1939 map is most noteworthy in regards to the large number of official campsites that are depicted (91), many of which were never again depicted on Forest Service maps. A number of these campsites were in the former portion of the forest south of Nacimiento Road and east of the crest of the South Coast Ridge; this area was transferred to the U. S. Army shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, and in 1957 it was exchanged for about 26,000 acres of land that the Army had acquired along the coast (this is the coastal region south of Lucia that is depicted on the following map as outside the forest boundaries).

1939 Map of Monterey Ranger District

1939 Map of Monterey Ranger District - small

Click on image for larger map

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest

 

 

1939 Map and Brochure of the Monterey Ranger District
of Los Padres National Forest