Ventana Wilderness Forums

Presented as a public service of the Ventana Wilderness Alliance

Miller Canyon Trail

Re: Miller Canyon Trail

Postby davidjohnbremer on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:16 pm

Date Hiked: March 28, 2015
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

I would echo much of the report of the previous post. We traveled from China Camp to Carmel River Camp. The trail was not always easy to follow, and was very rough as though a cattle drive had passed through. The ribbon markers were a huge help. Long pants are an absolute must, as you travel through a seemingly endless forest of poison oak. I've never seen so much in my life. Lots of brush encroaching on the trail. This trail is not for the faint of heart, and frankly, until you get to Miller Canyon Camp, is not particularly scenic. From there to Carmel River Camp the trial is pleasant. Not much water between China Camp and Miller Canyon Camp.
davidjohnbremer

Miller Canyon Trail via China Camp

Postby Daniel S on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Date Hiked: March 21, 2015

First off i just want to say, if you are wishing to travel this trail have prior experience in this region! Knowing the general geography was an immense help to us, if you have not hiked this area before I would have to recommend against traveling the Miller Canyon. Being able to identify the surrounding mountains and ridges is a must. Moving on, the tread is very faint to non existent for much of this trail, however you can often see where the ground is slightly lower through the bushes and grass, along with the pink flagging (thank you to whomever put it up!) we were able to stay true to the trail. It seems cows and other animals use this trail as well, resulting is game trails running off of the main trail until Miller Canyon Camp. Between the Nason cabin site and miller canyon camp cows have walked along the trail after a rain resulting in constant holes along the trail, making the opportunity for a rolled ankle or a tumble off the cliff very present, watch your step. Some poison oak encroachment which at this point in time was navigable with minimal bushwacking, however in a couple months I could see it being a much more serious problem. Some deadfalls but we were able to get around them. The miller creek is running strong at this point in time. After reaching Miller Canyon Camp the trail becomes much easier to follow. We stayed at Clover Basin and moved on the next day, there are a good amount (around 10 or so) of river crossing between Clover Basin and the Carmel River trail, but the trail becomes much more obvious as you continue. The pink flagging was present from the start up until the end, giving us reassurance that we had not wandered off trail. Follow the flags! Beautiful trail that I will most definitely be taking again some day! The one piece of advice i must give is not to leave the trail, the trail was often obvious when standing on it but from 10ft away was invisible. Stay on the trail and follow the flags.
Daniel S

Postby Hunter on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Date Hiked: November 28, 2014

My friend and I hiked this trail as part of the last day of our backpacking trip. It is quite a demanding trail. For the first couple of miles, it follows a stream and the going is easy. There a couple of campsites on this part of the trail. After that, it begins to climb and it doesn't stop climbing until you reach China Camp. The tread is often difficult to follow, and there were many times where the trail would go in different directions and we had to figure out which tread was the Miller Canyon trail. You go up and down a lot. It was raining when we were hiking, so the hike was more difficult for us because we kept sliding on the steep hillside trails. It is an absolutely gorgeous trail, like all of the trails that I have been on in Ventana so far. You have great views of the valley, and the forest is spectacular. When you get to the end of the trail (this part really requires some routefinding, but there are flags to mark the way), you will cross through a cattle fence and onto someone's property. Climb their driveway and you'll then get to a road (Jefferey Road) and there will be signs telling you how to go to China Camp. Turn right from the driveway onto the road, and the first sign will be about 50 yds downhill from you. Then there are many switchbacks to ascend to get back to China Camp. I don't recall there being much poison oak on this trail. Keep your wits about you, and you should be able to navigate this trail just fine.
Hunter

Postby Steve B on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Date Hiked: September 16, 2014
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

A VWA trail crew worked the Miller Canyon Trail from the Carmel River Trail to Miller Canyon Camp. The trail was cleared of all down trees and we did some brushing. The trail is mostly clear to Miller Canyon Camp from Carmel River but it is still a little brushy in places. We did not have time to go beyond Miller Canyon Camp toward China Camp however we flagged the trail last year so be sure to follow the flagging. There was very little water in Miller Canyon, there is some flowing water below Clover Basin Camp and Miller Camp is dry. There are signs of cows living in Miller Canyon, Clover Basin Camp is covered with cow dung, if you see the cows please report it on the forum or to the Forest Service, note the date, location, and the number of cows.
Attachments
dry miller cyn.jpg
Dry Miller Creek
clearing trail.jpg
David, Lynn, and Steve clearing a tree.
Steve B

Postby ACD on Sun May 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Date Hiked: May 14, 2014
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

It was clear that few people took this route, as the trail was often very faint. The trail was very well-flagged however, making it pretty simple to follow. A LOT of poison oak along the route however, and a couple of places where the trail has slided down. Nothing insurmountable.

People hiking this trail should be aware that there is NO WATER at China camp, and that the few little streams above where the trail climbs out of Miller Canyon will probably be dry in a few weeks. I got to China camp assuming that I'd find water, then had to hike back down the way I had come to find a little mud trickle to pump from.

Generally had a great time, and didn't see a soul between Bluff Camp and China Camp.
ACD

Postby pmannisto on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Date Hiked: February 23, 2014

I hiked this trail before the recent rains, so this report might be a bit out of date. I went from China Camp to Carmel River Camp as part of a loop, returning on Carmel River trail.

The first few miles are along a road and the route is both well-flagged and obvious. After you leave the home association areas the trail becomes more difficult. If it weren't for the flags I probably wouldn't have been able to navigate the trail. Pay attention to the flags!

The first few miles after the home association area the trail is a beautiful walk above Miller Canyon with ancient oaks and grasslands interspersed. As others have mentioned, there are some spots where the trail crosses slides and is a little dicey but I wouldn't consider any of it very problematic.

Soon enough you descend to the Miller Fork of the Carmel River. When I was there it was just a pleasant creek (maybe 4 or 5 feet wide), easily rockhopped at every crossing. I'd imagine it's flowing more heavily now, but probably not enough to make rock hopping impossible (there was lots of room for the creek to grow and still have rock hopping practicable). Just a pleasant downhill jaunt to the Carmel River Camp.

Already when I was there ticks were out in force, especially on the part between the home association area and the river walk. I'd imagine they are much worse now. I'd strongly recommend long pants, especially some material that ticks have trouble gripping. That being said, the trail is clear without much overgrowth. I rated it "Passable" since there are some minor difficulties as mentioned above (dicey slides on the trail and numerous crossings of the Miller Fork).
pmannisto

Postby Rob on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Date Hiked: January 26, 2014

Hiked up this trail from the Carmel River trail. It was mostly clear, with the occasional downed tree and very little in the way of brushy spots.

It was a joy to see the Santa Lucia firs and there was even a species of wildflower blooming in the lower canyon (white / purple). The creek crossings were all rock-hops. Brushed off a few ticks. Plenty of water at the camps.

There were a few places where the trail was narrow and crumbling, often above steep terrain : these are not good places to lose your balance, so be warned.
Rob

Postby wilderwil on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Date Hiked: October 24, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Starting at China Camp we walked down Jeffery Rd. past the cabins and private pond to the trailhead. Steve Jackson, Alan Robertson, William Salmon (wilderwill) and Joe Sortais (as a day hiker). The trailhead easy to find. The road has signs directing you to the trailhead and the trail has been flagged and is well defined. There was no water (October) until about 1/2 mile before Miller Camp. We walked past the Nason Cabin site without seeing it, but Santa Lucia Firs start to appear, and were numerous on this trail.

The Hennickson Trail is not shown on the National Geographic Map, but we found the junction signs, burned off at the base and propped against a tree. Jeffrey Schaffer in his book does not recommend this trail so we passed it by. The trail sign shows 3 miles to Carmel River, but it has been scratched out and a "5" scratched next to it. Five miles is more accurate.

The trail to Miller Camp has some downed trees and a few tricky spots where the trail is sliding away on steep slopes. A hiker could slide right off into the dark canyon below. Miller Camp is spacious with fire grill and a sign. No fires or stoves as fire restrictions were in place. Alan ate his Top Ramen dry, I didn't know you could do that ! Abundant acorns under the oak trees and lots of pig manure and ground disturbed by their feeding. There was abundant, free flowing water in Miller Creek, but we purified the water before drinking because of the pigs.

Clover basin was a mile away and also spacious and level, the trail was mostly clear and well flagged.

The creek crossings and Carmel River at Bluff Camp are easy to rock-skip this time of year, so no wet clothes or shoes. Flagging and trail work make the lower trail easy to follow. A big Thank-You to the trail workers. We had a hot hike out the West side of Carmel River to a very dry Los Padres reservoir and back to the car in the parking lot.

See Steve's pictures in Picasa at this address: (Ignore the picture of the new grand-nephew. He keeps popping up in Picasa for some reason, but he was too young to go on the trip anyway).
https://picasaweb.google.com/1074344567 ... yonOct2013
wilderwil

Postby Steve B on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:55 am

Date Hiked: September 13, 2013

September 13, 2013
The Miller Canyon Trail is open and clear from the Carmel River Trail to Miller Canyon Camp and a little beyond toward Jeffery Road. There are still a few trees in the trail and the trail is a little off the original track but we will fix that in future trips. The tread is well defined as of this writing but after the rains and the grass grows the tread may be difficult to find however the trail is flagged.
From Miller Canyon Camp to Jeffery Road (to China Camp) the trail is flagged and the tread is well defined as it looks like the trail is being used after the last flagging trip August 2012. There are a few portions of the trail before the Nason Cabin Site (West) that the tread has slumped away and you will need to really pay attention while crossing this area, a fall would not be good.
You still need to pay attention to the flagging, if you lose sight of the flagging you need to stop and find the flagging. One would think that the trail drops in to the Miller drainage but the trail stays well away from the drainage until you are almost to Miller Canyon Camp.
The Miller Canyon Trail travels through beautiful Miller Canyon and would be a wonderful three or four day loop if you were to hike Miller Canyon at China Camp to Carmel River and return to China Camp via Pine Valley.
I have a Garmin Mapsource track (miller cyn trail.gdb) the Miller Canyon Trail for your GPS available if you contact me through the VWA.
Steve B
Steve B

Postby tripple t thomskinny on Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Date Hiked: April 6, 2013

China Camp to Carmel River. Easy peasy...Whoever did the flagging, thank you, its makes this trial super easy to follow. The cattle have got to go, in the upper part of the watershed the cow patties everywhere, creeks and seeps are suffering from major degradation and pretty much tearing up the place.
tripple t thomskinny

Next

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails