Ventana Wilderness Forums

Presented as a public service of the Ventana Wilderness Alliance

Fires permitted?

This is the place for general discussion, not specifically related to trails

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Fires permitted?

Postby C M Heard on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Campfires are still allowed. You can always get up-to-date information by calling the Monterey Ranger District office at (831) 385-5434 (or any other district office) or the Forest Supervisor's Office at )805) 968-6640. Fire restrictions (and lifting thereof) are implemented forest-wide by Forest Orders. You can see a list of recent orders here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/home/?cid=stelprdb5311215.

Here are some things that are always good to remember.

1.) All fires outside of a developed area or an enclosed vehicle require a fire permit. THIS INCLUDES CAMP STOVES. Fire permits are available on-line from several sources, including http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5346076.pdf. You should also be able to get a fire permit from any Forest employee.

2.) When you make a campfire, please use an existing fire ring or fire grate. Please do not make new fire rings and please do not add rocks to existing rings.

3.) Please do not leave any unburned trash in a fire ring or fire grate ... those of us who empty them have to pick that stuff out and bag it. If you encounter a fire ring or grate that's full and decide to empty it, please haul the ash (minus any trash) away and scatter it in a thin layer where it won't be noticed and where it will decompose quickly. Don't leave a pile of ash in a campsite!

4.) Campfires must be put out WITH WATER. Please DO NOT pile rocks on top of the fire to pretend that you are putting it out (this applies especially to te rocks from which a fire ring is constructed).

5.) Campfires have significant impact on the land and fire rings/grates require a significant amount of effort to maintain. Please consider not having a campfire at all. When camping alone I always make out fine just with my stove.

Thanks and regards,

Mike Heard
C M Heard

Re: Fires permitted?

Postby steveu on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:43 pm

The Los Padres national forest in goleta would have posted a notice restricting campfires, as far as I know they are still allowed, Larry at botchers gap always has the latest from the forest service.
steveu

Fires permitted?

Postby Carl Mounteer on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Does anyone know whether fires are permitted now in the VW?

I've checked the USFS website for this information in vain.
Carl Mounteer

Return to Ventana Discussion