Ventana Wilderness Forums

Presented as a public service of the Ventana Wilderness Alliance

Interesting Flagging

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Vicki Winters, dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Interesting Flagging

Postby C M Heard on Wed May 23, 2012 5:09 am

Organiser wrote:Other trails seem to be barely hanging on:

Lost Valley trail from lost valley to Marble Peak trail.
Marble Peak trail in the vicinty of Tan-Oak camp
Black Cone trail in the vicinity of Strawberry camp.
Puerto Suelo trail - The footbed is likely non-existent after it was rerouted.
StoneRidge trail - Footbed is poor.

The VWA has been funding a project to rebuild the Stone Ridge Trail (we have reworked all of it except the section between Goat Camp and the Stone Ridge apex), and there is ongoing volunteer work on the Black Cone Trail.

//cmh
C M Heard

Postby jack_glendening on Tue May 22, 2012 10:12 am

While trying to be as accepting as possible about what constitutes a "trail", I would say that no trail as such exists for the first two on your "barely hanging on" list - one can get through only by bushwhacking:
() Lost Valley trail from lost valley to Marble Peak trail
(I'll amend that to be from Upper Higgins Camp to Marble Peak Trail)
() Marble Peak trail in the vicinty of Tan-Oak camp

The "barely hanging on" list could be very lengthy depending upon one's criteria:
() San Antonio Trail - east of Fresno Camp
() South Fork Trail
() Miller Canyon Trail
() Elk Camp Trail
etc

And I'd add two to the "lost trail" list
() Slick Rock Trail - southern half
() Bear Basin Trail - western half

And of course there are trails which still exist on the USFS register but which were "lost" prior to the fire:
() Zig Zag Camp Trail
() Tin House Trail
() north half of Mill Creek Trail

These are mostly in the Ventana since I've not had much recent experience in the Silver Peak Wilderness.
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Organiser on Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 am

Several trails have been lost since the 2008 fire:

Manuel trail - From Mt. Manuel to the Little Sur trail
Lottie Potrero- Not sure why this went away.
Santa Lucia trail- From Junipero S peak trail to Last chance camp
RattleSnake trail - From rattlesnake camp to Ventana trail.

Seems like a pretty alarming rate of decay.

Other trails seem to be barely hanging on:

Lost Valley trail from lost valley to Marble Peak trail.
Marble Peak trail in the vicinty of Tan-Oak camp
Black Cone trail in the vicinity of Strawberry camp.
Puerto Suelo trail - The footbed is likely non-existent after it was rerouted.
StoneRidge trail - Footbed is poor.

Ouch. These are some of the longer and more stately of the trails in Ventana.
Organiser

Re: The Best Lost Trail

Postby CJDiM on Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm

It breaks my heart to hear that this trail is now officially "lost". I'll never forget doing it as a shuttle dayhike -- Bottchers Gap to Pfeiffer -- with two college buddies one long, lovely day in April, 1997. It really wasn't all that bad back then, and it took us a little over 12 hours to do the whole thing. We easily found both Launtz and Vado, and even on the north slope of Manuel Peak the tread was pretty definite. The ticks were ferocious on that slope; I probably brushed 20-30 off every few minutes. But the rewards were epic; the comet Hale Bopp was raging overhead as we came down off Manuel Peak. Good times. That was a great trail. Tears.
CJDiM

Postby Boon on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 pm

I hope the Vado sign is still there, and that the flat where the camp is is in OK shape. What a peaceful, quiet and wonderful spot that is. As Jeffers would say, "the solitude is deep and wide."
Attachments
vadosgn2.jpg
Boon

Postby jack_glendening on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 pm

No, it is lying on the ground. Schaffer has a photo showing a table, but none is there now nor is any evidence of its previous presence. A grate still remains.
jack_glendening

Postby jpdoelman on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Is the "Launtz Camp" sign still nailed to a redwood tree at the camp?
jpdoelman

Interesting Flagging

Postby jack_glendening on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:53 pm

On Friday Paul Danielson and I made another attempt to get to Launtz Creek and Vado Camps by hiking south from the Pico Blanco Scout Reservation along the now lost Manuel Peak Trail. Where it joins the Little Sur Trail someone has put in relatively recent pink flagging going along the ridge, continuing beyond where the old Manuel Peak Trail left the ridgeline. The flagging was amazingly profligate, both in spacing (25 in one 0.4 mile stretch) and amount used at some places - see one example below. We continued following the flags until they stopped, finding near their end a couple and their tent. They were unfamiliar with the Ventana and had been following the flags, which they thought meant they were on the Manuel Peak Trail shown on their Wilderness Press map. They tried to push on when the flagging ended but ran out of daylight and had to return to the ridge to camp for the night! They were surprised to learn that that section of the Manuel Peak Trail no longer is a "trail", and that in any case they were not on its old path. We suggested they return to the Little Sur Trail and spend the night at Pico Blanco Public Camp - hopefully the enjoyment of those falls will make the overall experience a positive one!

Paul and I did get to Launtz Creek Camp but it took another 2 hours to travel the 3/4 mile stretch after the ridge, so we just went a bit beyond it towards Vado, finding extensive downfall over the old trail, then returning since it was late and we were tired by the bushwhacking. I still want to get to Vado Camp, to find out its current conditions and exactly where it is, but that will seemingly take a backpack trip instead of a dayhike. At least we have established much of the location of the old Manuel Peak Trail out to Launtz Creek Camp by finding old rockwork, cuts, and extant tread. Unfortunately we've also established that there is much ceanothus and downfall and missing tread along that route!

Jack Glendening

PS: we did not follow the old Mt Manual Trail tread all the way to Launtz Creek Camp - at the place where the tread is abeam the camp location but 200 vertical ft above it, we simply descended the slope to the camp instead of following the 0.4 mile long switchback that the old tread makes - at the rate we were going the switchback would have taken another hour to complete. That bushwhack was one of the easiest parts of the hike, much easier and faster than trying to follow the overgrown old tread!
Attachments
img_4448.quartersize.jpg
Interesting flagging
jack_glendening

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion