Ventana Wilderness Forums

Presented as a public service of the Ventana Wilderness Alliance

Coast Ridge Trail

Re: Coast Ridge Trail

Postby trolleypup on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Date Hiked: December 13, 2011
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

From the end of the Cone Peak Road to the Gamboa Trail:

All deadfall removed. Trail is clear and hikeable. Tread in moderately poor condition in several places. Brush does not encroach, and poison oak is minimal.

The Cone Peak Road remains closed.
Come join the VWA Trail Crew
trolleypup

Coast Ridge Trail

Postby ldrucker on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Date Hiked: July 4, 2011
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Hiked Ventana Posts to Cook Springs, June 30 - July 4.
High temperatures 85-90 degrees
Yellow flys biting at each stop
Bees every morning.
Chaparral dry conditions for entire hike.
Condors, Hawks, Hummingbirds, Quail, snakes, and lizards seen on trail.
Ring tailed cats heard at night @ Upper Bee
Poison Oak is everywhere - Bring Technu
Stay hydrated!
All camps listed have H2O
Night one - Cold Springs
2011-06-30_18-35-40_900.jpg
Cold Springs Camp
7200 gal H2O tank
2011-07-01_07-10-08_253.jpg
Water Tank

Night two - Upper Bee (See specific post)
Night three - Volunteer Camp
2011-07-03_06-00-33_629.jpg
Volunteer Camp
This camp was a nice surprise.
Night four - Cook Spring (see specific post)

Trail between Ventana Posts and Upper Bee was wide and clear. A few vehicles passed us on day one and two.
Trail between Upper Bee and Cook Spring was overgrown with several downed trees but passable.
Be careful to stay on trail rather than take firebreaks over summits of several hills.
Trail is strenuous (Several steep ascents) with little cover.
ldrucker

Postby rachelmetoo on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Date Hiked: June 22, 2011

HIked the section from Carrizo to Arroyo Seco, trail was very clear and evident, amazing views!! Early am, coast was marine layered so couldn't see the water, oh well!!
rachelmetoo

Postby C M Heard on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Date Hiked: May 31, 2011
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The section between the junction with the Gamboa Trail and the ridge that heads to Cone Peak was clear. Between the ridge crossing and the trailhead on the Cone Peak Road winter storms have brought down a few pieces of brush and about a half-dozed modest-sized deadfalls and have also deposited some rocks and scree on the trail in the usual places where rocks and scree comes down. Overall, however, these things did not make the trail difficult to hike. Some photos:

IMG_0183.JPG
Scree on the NCRT

IMG_0186.JPG
Downed tree on the NCRT

It should not require much work to restore this segment of trail back to "clear" condition.

Mike Heard
C M Heard

Postby Ted Merrill on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Date Hiked: April 18, 2011

My buddy Shahe and I hiked the Coast Ridge Trail from the junction with the Arroyo Seco Trail to Marble Peak.
I'm really amazed at how clear the trail is now... a few trees down but not much brush yet... the going was really fast.

I looked for the Lost Creek Connecter trail and could not locate it (despite having taken it some years ago)... the top must be overgrown.
Likewise i could see no trace of the Bee trail (which i have never taken).
No signs for either Lost Creek Connecter or for Bee Trail.
The sign at the Arroyo Seco trail is still there and somewhat readable.
The sign at Rodeo Flat is almost unreadable, but it's presence should be enough.
The spring northwest of Rodeo Flat was operable, although this was not immediately evident due to the broken plastic piping.

-Ted Merrill
Ted Merrill

Postby jack_glendening on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Date Hiked: September 9, 2010

From south end to intersection with Lost Valley Connector, the old roadbed is only slightly overgrown, with many bare soil patches between the vegetation. Near several hilltops, one can choose between following the ridgeline or a contour, the latter being more used and less vegetated. One example is found 1/2 mile south of the Arroyo Seco Trail intersection, where one can follow either a long hairpin turn or cut over the ridgetop, which apparently confused a previous poster - either will work, but brush has been moved to direct users toward the hairpin option.

Jack Glendening
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Carl Mounteer on Sun May 23, 2010 8:43 am

Date Hiked: May 16, 2010

This report is about the interval between the trailhead at the end of Cone Peak Road to the trailhead at the beginning of the Gamboa Trail.

This was a hike unimpeded by brush or downed trees. There are only two challenges: the physical effort of going up the switchbacks and avoiding the sheer drop just before you come out of the base of Cone Peak. In other words, a perfectly normal, well-maintained trail for the Ventana Wilderness. This trail is about as good as you can expect in the VW.

I posted one report about 5-6 years ago on the old forum about how creepy this trail felt. It felt so uncomfortable to me hiking on this trail that I inquired whether someone had been killed on it. For some reason, that ambience was completely absent this time. I felt very comfortable hiking this trail.
Carl Mounteer

Postby sugg on Tue May 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Date Hiked: May 15, 2010

I used this "trail" from the intersection of Rodeo Flats, moving south to Cone Peak Road. From Rodeo Flats to about a 1/2 mile or so past Arroyo Seco Trail this route is mostly a fire-break. It's very clear and offers a lot of views to the east, and then the further south you travel, views to the Pacific Ocean open up. On the fire-break section of trail, it's quite wide and clear. Now, at a point about a 1/2 to 1 mile south of the Arroyo intersection, this trail starts to hit pine trees and then suddenly converts to single track!!!!!! This trail really gets fun here. The geography seems to change as well as the vegetation. The single track section of this trail is the best around. I make it around a bend and then I finally see Cone Peak. The trail "tucks" under the east side of Cone Peak along a steep slope and then connects to Cone Peak Road. There has been a lot of work performed on this trail and it's appreciated.

Is this the Carizzo Trail intersection? http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617067191/in/set-72157624084143828/ This was a interesting section of the trail. Red dirt, big rocks, shifting geography. Here's some photos starting at the Arroyo Seco intersection, heading south to Cone Peak Rd. http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617679710/in/set-72157624084143828/ I didn't go down to Cook Springs - I went right by it. There might be water down there at that camp, but there is no water (that I saw) up on Coast Ridge Trail south of the Arroyo Seco intersection.
sugg

Postby sdormanen on Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Date Hiked: May 9, 2010

We walked the Coast Ridge Trail from the Arroyo Seco trail junction to the Coast Ridge Road. Thanks to those who have been doing the good work on this trail, it was a pleasure to hike.
sdormanen

Cone Peak Road to Cook Springs

Postby dknapp1 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:38 pm

Date Hiked: June 6, 2009

The NCRT from Cone Peak road to Cook Springs is mostly clear, with tread issues in several places. There has been recent work on the trail that was not performed by the VWA trail crew, though on this trip we cleared about 300 feet of scree, did some brushing, and helped to reroute the horseshoe near the saddle.

Brush is encroaching the trail, especially on the lower part, however past the saddle, the trail is clear, with minor tread issues.

None of the turnoffs are signed - gamboa, carrizo, and cook springs are all unlabeled. In addition, the location of Cook Springs is wrong on most maps.

We have cleared the turn off to Cook Springs to make it obvious.

Here is a pic of the turnoff from the south, looking north.
The turn off is on the right.

Looking south, you can also see the rock cairn, and the three young pine trees with trimmed lower limbs.

David Knapp, Trail Crew Chief
dknapp1

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails