Ventana Wilderness Forums

Presented as a public service of the Ventana Wilderness Alliance

Day Hikes With Dogs

This is the place to discuss anything related to Trail Crew, outings, or anything trail-related.

Moderators: Vicki Winters, dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Day Hikes With Dogs

Postby jsaue055 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:03 pm

As of Oct 2009 the park has been reopened. I plan to take my two doggies to Ventana this weekend. I can't wait!!
jsaue055

Postby redboatandrew on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:01 pm

We did the a little of the Little Sur Trail on the afternnoon of June 12, following Boon's directions. Initial section is indeed very nicely shaded and scenic with redwood forest and lush undergrowth.

One must look carefully to find the trail head; the road has recently been regraded in that area which may have made it a little less obvious. About a 1/2 mile along the route, a land slide has wiped out the original trail along a steep embankment near the river. This forces a scramble either very steeply upwards to a new bushwacked path or very steeply downwards over a 8 - 10 foot falloff.
redboatandrew

Postby Boon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Yes, the Coast Ridge Road is open to hiking and horseback riding - no problems there. Regarding the Little Sur Trail, just drive on up the Old Coast Road till you get to the ridge, then down the other side. You'll pass an old ranchhouse compound on the left, and in about another quarter mile there will be a wide place in the road large enough to park 4 or 5 cars along the right side of the road. This is the Little Sur trailhead. It may or may not be signed, so watch for that parking area. If you drive as far as the river, you've gone too far. You could also hike the road if you feel like it - it's a wonderful route any way you take it. But stay on the road right-of-way - it's private land on both sides and they don't take kindly to trespassers. And all of my suggestions are on USFS lands, or public easements across private lands to reach USFS lands, so no worries about the State Parks dog rules.
Boon

Postby redboatandrew on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks Betsy and Boon for your helpful and detailed suggestions. From Betsy's post, it sounds like Coast Ridge Road, or at least the northern part near Hwy 1, is open (I thought it was closed!).

Boon, can you help me with a couple further questions?

1) Are you suggesting we hike or drive up Old Coast Rd to reach Little Sur Trail?

2) I know dogs are allowed in the Los Padres National Forest/Ventana Wilderness, but not generally on the trails of the California state parks. Will our dogs be a problem in terms of these restriction on your suggested routes?

Thanks
redboatandrew

Postby Boon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 am

Betsy's suggestion of the Boronda Trail up to Timber Top is a good one, although it's mostly through open grassland so there could be a gazillion foxtails around if that's a concern for you. Also, about halfway up that route you'll reach a place where the road/trail forks under a large live oak in a flat grassy meadow. The spur to the left is the lesser used one and it leads a short ways down to good water in Lafler Canyon, which your dogs might really enjoy if it's a warm day. Going right at the fork takes you up to the ridge, but don't expect any more water unless you go to Cold Spring.

Another great trail would be the Little Sur Trail, which begins about 4 miles in on the Old Coast Road (which leaves Highway 1 directly across from the entrance to Andrew Molera SP). The first few miles are through shady redwood forest with plenty of opportunities for your dogs to access the river if it's a warm day, then it's pretty open and sunny and dry all the way to Pico Blanco Camp where there's plenty of water.

And finally, the Kirk Creek Trail to Vicente Flat would be good, although a bit of a drive from your campsite. But the trail's been worked recently and is in great shape the whole way. There's water about at about the halfway point just past Espinosa Camp, and again when you arrive at Vicente Flat.
Boon

Postby Betsy M on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:53 pm

One idea would be the Boronda Trail up to the North Coast Ridge Road. The lower part at least, was little damaged. A nice 8-mile loop is possible if you can leave your car near the end of the N. Coast Ridge Road where it meets Highway One is to hike up the Boronda Trail, turn left, and descend all the way to Hwy One. Or, just hike to the top, wander along the Coast Ridge Road for a while, and return the same way. Views are great, assuming there isn't fog. Boronda Trail starts exactly one half mile south of the Coast Gallery. Look for an old stock corral. It was liberally decorated with a variety of wire stuff meant to entrap mudslides, last time I was there.
Betsy M

Day Hikes With Dogs

Postby redboatandrew on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:45 pm

My wife and I are looking for day hikes we can do in the Big Sur area with our dogs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be camping at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

We had planned on using the Pine Ridge Trail/Coast Ridge Road network, but since that is closed due to the fires, we are hoping someone can offer an alternative. Thanks in advance for sharing.
Last edited by redboatandrew on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redboatandrew

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion