Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Skinner Ridge Trail

Skinner Ridge Trail

Re: Skinner Ridge Trail

Postby Wynn on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Date Hiked: October 12, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Botchers Gap to Pat Springs. Water is available at Pat Springs with excellent flow. Some water also said to be available at Apple Tree Camp. No water at Turner Creek Camp, all dry. The trail is in very good condition and is not overgrown. There are several areas beyond Devil's Peak where the Ponderosa pine stands have been burned out with resulting tree falls. Though none currently block the trail.
Wynn

Postby RSIBryce on Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Date Hiked: April 29, 2013
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Section: Botcher's Gap to Pat Spring

Trail is clear and gorgeous, wildflower displays are going off with lupines, poppy, owl's clover, yerba santa, sticky monkey's and many more! Temps were up in the 80s and the flies have begun their pestering, the black ones that bite and the little annoying ones. Takes them a few minutes to find you once you stop for a rest, but when they do, it takes some zen to deal, or maybe a headnet. Saw some mozzy's too but not as bad as flies. Lots of snakes out right now, must have seen at least 3 or 4 gopher snakes, and one small rattler near Mill Creek just just before we made it back to Botcher's on the 1st. Pat Springs was our savior, the delicious water was flowing well from the spring.

Saw some ticks, good idea to check every once in a while. Not as bad as I saw on the Black Cone a couple weeks ago, where I was knocking them off constantly.
RSIBryce

Postby Carl Mounteer on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Date Hiked: April 23, 2013

Hiking back from Pat Springs Camp, this trail was clear all the way to Bottcher's Gap.

Wildflowers are lavish and lovely.

Lots of poison oak at various parts of the trail, especially where it is shadier. Some of it is over five feet tall.

Weather was in the low to mid-80s.

The small flies that swarm your face when you stop are out, very numerous, and very aggressive. So a headnet is advised. The larger flies are still absent. Since the wildflowers are out there are many bees but you hear them more than see them.

Aside from what looked like a very small spider on my backpack that may have been a tick, I saw no ticks.

Ran into one black and very large rattlesnake about 1.5 miles from Pat Springs Camp. But I only heard him/her after I had just passed him. Then I saw his/her beautiful, venemous form slither gracefully further into the brush in which he/she was hiding, rattle raised and rattling.

There is water at Pat Springs Camp. It is running at the cistern adequately enough to fill a bottle or water bladder easily and quickly. Danish Creek, or whatever that stream is called that crosses the trail about 1/2 mile from Pat Springs Camp, is barely a trickle.
Carl Mounteer

Postby sugg on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Date Hiked: January 19, 2013

Used this trail on January 19th, 2013 from Botcher's Gap to its connection with the Ventana Trail. There were some large downed trees - about 3-5 - in the Spaghetti Camp zone - where all of the dead standing trees are. Other than that, the trail felt like a county park trail to me. Wide open and nothing to slow a traveler down. Lots of climbing and descending.
sugg

Postby firestarter0082 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Date Hiked: December 28, 2012
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

We left on Dec 28th starting at Bottchers Gap campground along skinner ridge with our final destination being Pat Springs. If things went well we decided that Double Cone peak might be a possibility later on in the weekend. It was pretty sunny, clear skies, and the trail was "okay". Easy to follow although there were a number of downed trees and brush. Nothing you couldn't get over.

We made it to Pat Springs that night and it started snowing/sleeting throughout the entire night. Great time to be testing a new bivy/tarp :-) Woke up to probably about 4 inches of snow. The trek out was a bit more difficult due to the snow which at some points completely covered up the trail. As the temperature rose the snow turned to slush and the weather varied from rain, sleet, snow as we made our way out but nothing was impassible.

Needless to say we didn't make it to Double Cone Peak since we had prepared for rain but not snow. Next time! I am a bit curious as to how many mountain lions there are per square mile out there. Tons of cat prints on the way out.
Attachments
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG
firestarter0082

Postby RSIBryce on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Date Hiked: December 8, 2012

Botcher's Gap to Turner Creek Saddle

Trail is wide open and well tread, recent trail work has made this a very pleasant stretch to hike. Mill Creek was flowing nicely and once to the ridge, we were blown away by the gorgeous vistas of Double Cone, the Window and Pico Blanco. Encountered only four other folks, not too bad for a sunny Saturday.
RSIBryce

Postby RSI SamE on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Date Hiked: December 8, 2012

Skinner Ridge Trail
Twixt Botcher’s Gap
And Turner Creek Trail junction
• Trail: Wilderness Freeway
• People: 4
• Signage: Sign at Turner Creek Trail junction is informative but decrepit, on its last legs.
• Note 1: Lots of madrones and open space on ridge top trail. Trail work recently done, with some fresh cuts visible.
• Note 2: Flat spots that seem like camps but have no fire pits are present along trail.
RSI SamE

Postby K Vandevere on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Date Hiked: November 12, 2012

Bottcher's Gap to Pine Creek/Comings Junction

Obvious, unobstructed and heavily used trail.
K Vandevere

Postby epicwalker on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Date Hiked: October 19, 2012

trail has not changed since june when I did this hike in a late season storm, pat springs is reliable as always, report then under steveu
epicwalker

Postby mepex on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Date Hiked: June 24, 2012

I went with 'Clear' instead of 'Freeway' because although it is heavily used and the trail is very easy to follow, there are several sections that are rather rocky and/or slippery, where it's easy to lose your balance. The trail is wide to Devil's Peak, then narrows considerably after that, but still very easy to follow. You do walk through some brush from the Devil's Peak junction to Pat Spring. The spring running over the trail about a mile or so from Bottcher's Gap in is still running pretty well.
mepex

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails