Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Pine Ridge Trail

Pine Ridge Trail

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Postby mfisher on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:57 am

Date Hiked: May 27, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Dates: 26 May 2015 - 27 May 2015

Hiked the Pine Ridge trail from Terrace Creek Trail junction to Sykes, and then turned around to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

Pine Ridge Trail: This trail obviously gets the most use, so I will only say that the trail along with Terrace Creek Camp, Barlow Flat Camp, and Sykes Camp would be nice except they are overused. There is toilet paper all along the sides of the trails, and behind many trees in the campsites. There was a small snake in one of the hot springs. We spotted what we think were condors soaring around the main canyon on the hike out.
mfisher

Postby Dgrdinh on Mon May 25, 2015 9:32 am

Date Hiked: May 24, 2015

From Big Sur Station to Sykes camp. There are two fallen trees and boulders before Terrence Creek Camp. They are both passable with care. Advice: when going from Sykes to Big Sur Station the trail is hard to see after the tree and boulders fell over it. Look up, the trail is above your head. The trail is very easy to find except for this area. There are spots with loose rocks in many areas as is with most backpacking trails. Vegetation is very tall in some areas and its a tight squeeze. Some sun exsposed areas as well.
Dgrdinh

Postby fat popi on Thu May 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Date Hiked: May 5, 2015
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

From terrece creek to sykes it is now wide open! Trail crew with horse has been working,sawing all the down trees. And taking trash out , putting new signahe up at amd building new toilet,a.very exciting!
fat popi

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:18 am

Date Hiked: April 14, 2015

This report is for the section from China Camp to Sykes.

Tread is apparent for the entire route except negotiating through the pine duff around Redwood Camp can be tricky due to use trails. Tread itself generally in good shape but becomes rougher, with more edge erosion and sloughing, and more difficult for loaded backpacks, between Pine Ridge and Redwood Camps. Between Redwood and Sykes Camps slope erosion has created a spot with 8 inch tread which must be negotiated.

Brushiness varies throughout the route and is the main negative. "Brush in the eye" sections are interspersed with clear sections - but nowhere did I need to push through brush . In many places brush is pushing people to the outside of the trail, damaging the trail edge. Brush was worst between Church Creek Divide and Black Cone Trail. Eye protection is very helpful.

The Black Cone Trail junction area, where brushiness had caused people to be led astray, has been cleared and brushed and is no longer a problem.
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Tom Ruppel on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:37 am

Date Hiked: March 19, 2015

I'm a first-time hiker of this trail, age 65; in from Big Sur Station to Sykes 03/19, out 03/20. There are two spots in the first couple of miles where you'll risk serious injury, even with a dry trail. The first is a big redwood that's fallen across the trail. You'll face a substantial fall down a ravine if you don't land properly on the other side. USFS needs to cut through the trunk, at least part way to ease passage. The second, as previously mentioned, is a trail washout. You need to negotiate a narrow shelf above a ravine by holding onto protruding tree roots, then scramble down the ravine over deadfall, then up the other side of the ravine over a steep and narrow dirt and gravel "use" trail. This entire section of trail needs to be rebuilt. Every hiker has apparently negotiated this section successfully, but eventually someone will be seriously injured in a fall. I didn't see a single hiker my age on this fairly easy trail, which is unusual - nearly all young hikers. I suspect there may be some risk aversion at work here due to the hazards.
Tom Ruppel

Postby larad on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Date Hiked: March 7, 2015

We hiked from China camp to big sur camping overnight at redwood camp. The trail was well maintained although overgrown from China camp to the intersection of black cone trail. Just before black cone we stopped for lunch at some fallen logs- you could see your first hint of the ocean and it was lovely. When.we.finished lunch we got up and looked about for the trail to.continue and surmised it was a trail.going off thru the bushes. The trail had pink flags on it but was terribly overgrown. After about a mile we thought we might be astray. So we turned around and headed back along the ridge back up to where we stopped for.lunch. standing there looking at the logs where we lunch ed we realized someone had scratched an arrow into the down logs and there were two faint pink flags. One of our group had sat on the arrow so we did not see it. The trail.did continue beyond the downed logs and shortly after there was a sign for the black.cone trail. After that the trail was not obvious for a 100 yards but then quickly became clear again and remained that way for the remainder of the hike.

This is definitely a hike to.wear long pants on. The brush and.poison oak dictate that. Overall absolutely gorgeous! Redwood camp was beautiful - the campsites were.clean and plentiful.

Thank you to.all the volunteers who keep the trails clear.and.open. having volunteered before I recognize how much work goes into clearing a small area. Thank.you!
larad

Postby Griffin on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Date Hiked: February 28, 2015
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

My wife and I hiked from Big Sur Station feb 28-mar 2.
There are four washouts where the trail is obliterated. Hard, but possible to pass. We did it in the rain which probably added to the difficulty.
All four washouts are before Terrace Creek, so if you don't want to deal with these you can take the alternate terrace creek trail to pine ridge trail.
The washouts require climbing up and down over fallen trees, and boulders, and some areas are muddy and narrow. We are slightly older than average hikers, and we did it. Younger hikers seemed to have less difficulty. Dry weather will probably help too.
Griffin

Postby Al Mollitor on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Date Hiked: February 17, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Day hike from Tassajara Rd. at China Camp to Pine Valley and back. Trail in excellent condition with the first half mile or so recently cleared. (Thank you!) Further on, the brush was pressing in from the sides a bit, but not unpleasantly so. Only a few trees down but they were easy to climb over. No poison oak, no bugs, warm temperatures: a perfect crystal clear day. Total time including a quick lunch, about 5-1/2 hours. We should have spent more time in the valley but were a little worried about the climb out and the drive back down.

Tassajara Road itself was very rough with lots of ruts, rock and debris in the road. We considered ourselves lucky that our rental car turned out to be 4-wheel drive with high clearance. There was one sedan in the parking area, so it was possible to make it in a regular car, but it wouldn't be much fun.

A bit of info that might be helpful: The turn from Carmel Valley Rd. onto Tassajara Rd. is just past mile marker 23.2. From Carmel Valley Village to China Camp is about 22 miles and took us about and hour and a half.

Al and Nancy Mollitor
Sharon, MA
Al Mollitor

Postby Hunter on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Date Hiked: November 28, 2014
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

I know that this is a few months late, but I figured that it could still help. My friend and I started from China Camp and hiked to the Church Creek Divide. This is a beautiful highland trail along mountain ridges, and the places that you will see are absolutely stunning. The trail is very clear. Because it is on ridges, it can be hot and quite dry. There was at least one good campsite on this part of the trail. There is no water through this section. Be careful driving on Tassajarra road when it is wet. It would be better to have an AWD. The road becomes extremely muddy when it is wet. My boots sunk down around 6 or 8 inches in the mud in the parking lot for the trailhead. Happy trails!
Hunter

Postby fat popi on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Date Hiked: February 15, 2015

To say this trail is a wilderness freeway is a faLse statement. That would apply to the terrece creek section to sykes if it were mot for redwood over trail about half mile past barlow.
as far as the first 3 miles of this trail,iits pretty extreme,2 major slide outs
I hiked in on coast ridge,tto terrece so did mot have problem on way in with gear,weight,but this could be major issue for some who try this trail...
fat popi

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails