Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Pine Ridge Trail

Pine Ridge Trail

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Postby HoosierHiker on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Date Hiked: October 28, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Big Sur Station to Sykes was clear and hiking was easy with plenty of water at the camps. Sykes to Redwood, the path was a little overgrown in sections and water was available at Redwood. Redwood to Pine Ridge Camp, trail is overgrown and a few sections of the trail have crumbled away. Passable, but I recommend gaiters and bringing lots of water. Camp was dry. Didn't make it past that point. Didn't see anyone past Sykes. Beautiful trail, I highly recommend it.
HoosierHiker

Postby fat popi on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Date Hiked: October 22, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Hiked out today,grabed the trash at terrece creek trail crossing. Bog black trash bag.
Trail inretty great shape,rain firmed up the tread and no dust now.

Met hiker on trail,chatted and he donated some food to me,thanks alot man!
Got a few bags carried out,trash pile is down to 4 big bags.

Some russians helped carry out the nearly 30lbs of trash that was left last week by the group from sacramento.
As always,thamks ro all who have helped me get this done. Cheers
fat popi

Postby Nodus on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Date Hiked: October 20, 2015

Hiked in 10/17/2015, out 10/20/2015

Was clear. Couple of rough spots where the trail clearly used to be easier, but over all pretty good shape. Saw a big trash bag behind the eastern toilet at terrace creek but didn't have the capacity to take it with me.

Bumped into fat popi and chatted.
Nodus

Postby fat popi on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:59 am

Date Hiked: August 28, 2015

Big sur sykes cleanup 2015 has so far been a huge sucsess. 80 percent of the trash has been rebagged and carried out. Mostly whst is left is sleeping bags and old tents.thank you to all who helped.
Few fires,nostly downriver.
Did 7 cuts on way out on thurs,flying brisn hasbeen loppping pine ridge 2,3 times a week. Only one major under on trail,one minor step over. Other then thst clear.
And quiet, only 20 campers at sykes on labor day friday,and less then 100 on sat. Pretty chill. Cheers
fat popi

Postby fat popi on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Date Hiked: August 15, 2015

Hiked out today, cut the 3 unders that were left on the first 5 miles. There is a huge dead tan oak dead fall that has to be climbed over between terrece creek and vantana turn off. I also carried out 2 of the blie first street garbage bags of trash. I have little faith in the mules ever coming. I have staryed to sort the trash,rebag it and ask hikers to cary small bags out with them. We have removed 3 blue bags thus far. Still TONS of work to do,but action,nat talking hets shit done.
I will be rebagging,into smaller bags,and asking hikers to carry out small bags over the holiday weekend. Hope we dent this pile some.
As far as fires,slow week. :)

There is a torso sized tan oak down on the barlow flats spur,need steve ;)
Other then that,the state park weedwacked their whole section to the wilderness border,so very little PO
On side note,shorts and sandals? Really? Ki have seen 3 rather large rattle snakes this week.
fat popi

Postby WOLF PACK on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Date Hiked: April 27, 2015

Went out on the 24th through the 27th. Pack lots of water for the first leg to Terrace because it's about a solid 5 miles with no water to filter/pump. Also, TONS of POISON OAK everywhere! There isn't 5 feet of that trail that doesn't have poison oak on it right now. I know some of you love to hike in shorts, myself included, but might want to rock some nylon pants for this trail. Lots of the poison oak branches are sticking out onto the trail, making it so that you constantly have to be looking down, so be careful!

Also, ladies, all your T/P along the trail next to your piss puddles is disgusting. Nothing like stopping for a little drink and a snack and spying some gross T/P on the side of the trail, right next to you. Even saw human feces w/ T/P on it on the walk back. Only 5 feet from water. Seriously, five feet from WATER, WTF?! Gross people. If you must use T/P every time you pee, please bring a little zip-lock baggie and take it w/ you. Burn it at camp or whatever.
WOLF PACK

Postby sociallyconnected on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Clodhopper wrote:Date Hiked: July 29, 2015

hiked to ventana 3.5 hrs ; no water til terrace; washout at mile 2 seems to be undercut on west bank
ventana trail good shape, could use a haircut
collected 8 bags of garbage from bushes ; clothes,cosmetics,pots,styrofoam cups,towels,water bottles,2 glass qt bottles
lots of TP in bushes--perhaps burning it should be encouraged
yokels campfire stunk up the valley on one night
weds -60 sec thundershower with rockfall

http://www.ksbw.com/news/big-sur-hiker- ... s/34142814 Clodhopper please look at this news article of my Uncle Harold Drake who went missing one day before you cleaned the trail. He is still missing and we are very worried. His jeep and all of his gear was at site 147 in Pfiffer campground but he never came out of Pine Ridge Trail My e-mail is phone number is 2094177625 anything you may have seen may save his life. THANK YOU
sociallyconnected

Postby Clodhopper on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Date Hiked: July 29, 2015

hiked to ventana 3.5 hrs ; no water til terrace; washout at mile 2 seems to be undercut on west bank
ventana trail good shape, could use a haircut
collected 8 bags of garbage from bushes ; clothes,cosmetics,pots,styrofoam cups,towels,water bottles,2 glass qt bottles
lots of TP in bushes--perhaps burning it should be encouraged
yokels campfire stunk up the valley on one night
weds -60 sec thundershower with rockfall
Clodhopper

Postby fat popi on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Date Hiked: July 5, 2015

Several new blowdowns on pine ridge trail,all easy to nav. Large oak fell,crossing the barlow trailt twice. Saw flying brian out with loppers. Love that guy,why more people dont hike with saws,loppers esp on trails like puerto sulleo,il nevrr know. He cleared the branches of one of the blowdowns.
pretty huge redwood fell across logwood creek,but thankfully only grazed the trail.
fires at terrece,barlow,skyes and redwood,all put out when asked,informed of fire restrictions. Overall pretty mello. Sorry,I cleared nothing this week,it was my vacation...
fat popi

Postby fat popi on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Date Hiked: June 20, 2015

Rran out late saturday night from coast ridge road,down terrece creek, got to sykes around 11. 2 fires,I asked them to put out,compliance.
woke up at 515,cleqred the trees blocking the toilet with corona saw. Access open again.
Ran out at 7am sunday morning and had to shout down to lion creek at camper on river with fire. He put it out. Same at barlow flat,2 fires,I just yelled down"Fire restrictons in full effect!" Both fires were extinguished.
As far as the trail,some new blow downs are blocking the trail from terrece creek to sykes. The most significant being a large(torso sized) madrome and live oak that are crossing the trail at the last "step" up on the ridge seperating logwood from barlow. Its an over under situation. Also thigh thick oak across trail 2 ftt off ground on the decent to log wood.
fat popi

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails