Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Pine Ridge Trail

Pine Ridge Trail

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Postby GRITSinNYC on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Date Hiked: March 26, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

We backpacked from China Camp to Pine Valley for the Easter Weekend. The most treacherous part of this hike is the drive up Tassajara to park at China Camp - it's doable, but there were downed trees and large rocks. The trail was in perfect condition. There was definitely some overgrown bushes in some sections that you had to push through and a couple of smaller downed trees, but otherwise the trails were well worn, evident and extremely easy to follow. I didn't see many ticks or much poison oak until the we descended into the Carmel River Trail towards Pine Valley. It was an absolutely PERFECT hike with great weather, very few flies, and manageable poison oak growth.

Huge thanks to the Ventana Wilderness Alliance crew that was out there doing trail maintenance and clearing a large tree in the trail. It was completely taken care of on our way back! Thanks for the great work!

A perfect weekend in the Big Sur backcountry!
GRITSinNYC

Postby hotspringadventures on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Date Hiked: March 25, 2016

Backpacked in to Sykes Camp on 3-23-2016 thru 3-25-2016. The trail is still in very good condition, however the first creek crossing above Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park campground with the notched log is getting more and more washed out. I was also day hiked into Sykes on 3-20-2016. In 3 days time, it was noticeably more deteriorated. I had my hand saw with me this morning on my way back to the Big Sur Station trail head and cut/moved at least seven fallen tree/branches ranging from 4-9 inches in diameter. A larger saw is need for two 12 inch blow downs past Dolores Creek (towards trail head) and one 15 inch tree just past Barlow (towards Sykes). Other than the items mentioned above, the trail tread is in great shape. There are also couple of pockets of poison oak have gotten closer to the edge of the trail since my last visit in February.
hotspringadventures

Postby Coon on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Date Hiked: February 3, 2016
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

A friend and I departed around 10:30am from China Camp. Trail was covered in snow and had a lot of brush blown over the trail which was covered in snow. It made the first 2 miles difficult. There was a large downed tree right before divide that mad us hike off trail. Once we passed the divide the trail conditions got very severe. At times it was all most impassible with snow covered brush. We stopped at around 3pm just short of Pine Ridge camp due to fog rolling in and temps dropping below freezing and we were soaking wet.

Next day we hiked to Sykes... Trail conditions were fairly decent from that point on. We cleared most heavy brush along the way.

Sykes was great, not many people Thursday and Friday. pools were in good condition.

Note - Barlow was very muddy
Coon

Postby Fatpopi on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 am

Date Hiked: February 10, 2016

I did 17 cuts on 12 downed trees. That was before nobles rine report. Thanks again noble for reporting,it was great meeting you and mike.
I left all the trees he is reporting,only removed obstruction to passage.
Figured crosscut would wanna have some fun too.
Also did 10 hours of trail work around terrece creek,both sides of trail before terrece up to ridge,and terrce creek trail up to spring before outlaw.
Pulled small bag of trash from sykes,but overall pretty clean.

There is huge bay down on the post creek overlook trsil,right before the overlook . completely blocking the trail
Cheers
Fatpopi

Postby Noble on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:00 pm

Date Hiked: February 9, 2016

Coming back to Big Sur Station from Sykes, there were several deadfalls. Between Sykes and Barlow Flat, there were seven downed trees obstructing the trial. Four of these could be skirted around, as they did not fall completely across the trail. The closest to Sykes was pretty high up, so we only had to duck a little, and probably only 25cm in diameter. Between Barlow and Logwood Creek there was one big downed tree, one burned tree that had rolled onto the left half of the trial, and a step/reinforcement that had fallen out of place coming down from the ridge. Between Logwood Creek and Terrace Creek, there were eight downed trees, up to 50cm in diameter, but two of these were very easy to step over. Between Terrace Creek and the turnoff for Ventana Camp, the trial was completely clear, and in very good shape. Between the Wilderness sign and the turnoff for Ventana Camp, there was one tree that was somewhat obstructing the trail at the washed-out stream crossing that has been repaired recently with a new switch back. Overall, the trial is extremely clear, and easy to navigate.
Noble

Postby Fatpopi on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Date Hiked: January 21, 2016
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Hikednout today from Terrece creek,spent few days at terrece waiting out the rain,boy did it rain. I really expected problems ahain at the bad gulch washout,but was amazed to see no new issues.
I must say what flying brian Robinson has done to the pine ridge trail is mind boggling! Thank you so much brian!
Trails in amazing shape
Fatpopi

Postby Fatpopi on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Date Hiked: December 22, 2015

Hiked from china home to big sur for the solstice. 3 inches of snow most of the firat 6 miles from china camp. 1 major tree requiring crosscut on trail before church creek divide.
Pine valley,pine ridge connector is full of thigh thick blow downs.
Another cross cut ne2ded just before sykes.
Fire restrictions still in effect,but I stoped asking people to put em out. 10 inches of rain,6 inches of snow.....water at pine ridge is flowing free.
Fatpopi

Postby fat popi on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:19 am

Date Hiked: November 21, 2015

Sykes to redwood is now clear of all the logs except one toward redwood. Still lots of work to do on this section as far as encroaching brush.
Went to pine ridge twice after the rangers cut the hot tube hose in to peices and stomped, destroyed a sacred drum left at sykes for less then 4 days(14 days is the rule for private property)mostly to pray for guidance, and to forgive those who have that much hate for me.
The trail up to pine ridge is slowly being lost between big sur trail junction and the top. Mostly manzanita growth,gonna be a real pain trimming that back.
After seeing my freinds drum and sleeping bag that was left to dry destroyed, my days of trail work, sykes clean up, general ambassadorship of the backcountry is over.
I have learned that this org relies on the narritive of sykes is crappy,partly to dissuade use"murky and luke warm" ect. And also I jow realize 7ts ur rally wagon for fundraising.
Anyway,seeing the anger directed at me,being used to clean up pine ridhe between sykes and redwood is rewarding. Lets keep it up,glad I lit a fire under someones ass for the lack of action on ur parts.
To restart a trash pile is the stupidest thing u cam do. Do what I did,bwg it in small bahs and leave a note,people will carry ot out. Trust me.
P.S. since we will never get reimbursement for destroyed items,can we at least get reimbursement for the trash bags we had to buy ourselves to make the cleanup happen?
Cheers
fat popi

Postby rt1 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Date Hiked: November 8, 2015

Section: China Camp to Church Creek Divide
The tread is in good condition and the trail is generally clear, except for 2 areas: the top of the first ridge coming out of China Camp, and the descent to the Divide. In these locations, there is a lot of encroaching brush that is over head high. It's easy to push through but can be frustrating.
rt1

Postby Nico on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Date Hiked: November 4, 2015

My destination was Sykes Hot Springs. I encountered some new blowdowns at least twice. Some of the other deadfall may have been there for awhile, as it seems they are just part of the trail. The overall condition of the trail was good. I did notice a clear plastic bag, and a grill covering some other garbage, that needed to be packed out. I also saw some human/dog excrement right on the trail...quite disappointing :roll: . Overall, a very beautiful place! :D
Nico

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails