Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Pat Springs Trail

Pat Springs Trail

Re: Pat Springs Trail

Postby jimsonrat on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Date Hiked: June 8, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Pat Springs camp was as good as usual; the spring is running great. The approach to Pat Springs from the Big Pines junction is slightly overgrown in some areas, including poison oak. There were lots of bugs, particularly small black flies. The number of biting bugs, however, was not an issue. I was last here two years ago and some areas had not started recovering from the fire; the saddle at the Big Pines junction actually has some green stuff growing there now (mostly madrone). I was hoping to see a recovery of the pines in that area, but I did not see any. Overall great trail with only minor issues. The temperature was in the upper eighties; I packed a gallon of water from the Botchers Gap trailhead and it was gone by the time I arrived in camp. I came across two rattlesnakes on the trail, though one was not rattling as it did its coil thang. Great hike despite the heat.
jimsonrat

Postby Carl Mounteer on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Date Hiked: April 23, 2013
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

This report covers the interval from Pat Springs Camp to the Big Pines Trail junction (where the Pat Springs Trail presumably ends and the Skinner Ridge Trail commences.).

Lots of poison oak at various parts of the trail, especially where it is shadier.

Weather was in the low to mid-80s.

The small flies that swarm your face when you stop are out, very numerous, and very aggressive. So a headnet is advised. The larger flies are still absent.

I saw no ticks.

There is water at Pat Springs Camp. It is running at the cistern adequately enough to fill a bottle or water bladder easily and quickly. Danish Creek, or whatever that stream is called that crosses the trail about 1/2 mile from Pat Springs Camp, is barely a trickle.
Carl Mounteer

Postby RSIBryce on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Date Hiked: December 11, 2012
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Coming from the Ventana Double Cone trail junction with Big Pines the trail comes up on the left with nothing more than two rocks and a stick leaning against a tree as a kind of marker. You could almost walk past and note even notice this little trail. Note this is the connector between these two trails and not really the trail to Pat Springs per say, unless your coming from the Los Padres Dam to the east on Big Pines. Trail is narrow and a little brushy, easy to lose.
RSIBryce

Postby mikesplain on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Date Hiked: December 8, 2012
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

Originally posted by RSI_SamE-
Big Pines Cut-Off Trail
Twixt Ventana Double Cone Trail junction
And Big Pines Trail junction
• Trail: Passable
• People: 0
• Signage: No sign at Ventana Double Cone Trail junction. Burnt post with yellow, red, and blue flagging at Big Pines Trail junction.
• Note 1: Trail hard to follow.
mikesplain

Postby sfegret on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:07 pm

Date Hiked: October 31, 2010
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

This trail was mostly pretty good and clear--a fair amount of poison oak in two places mostly near the saddle with Big Pines trail junction. There was a big fallen pine near the saddle that was fun to climb over. Main problem--just figuring out whether we were on Big Pines Trail or Pat Springs when we came in from the east. Trail signs burnt to nubs. Seems like there is a lot of new madrone and brush that makes it a little difficult to figure out at one point which is the "right" trail until you are really moving along the north side of the hill, where the trail is pretty clear. We were relieved when the trail went southeast and up because then we knew we were going in the right direction. Would never have known where the really nice Pat Springs campsites were had we not seen footprints going up the hill to the west from the camp near Pat Spring itself. Pretty glorious place to camp. Lots of water in the spring.
sfegret

Trail Conditions History 2003-2006

Postby Site Administrator on Tue May 26, 2009 11:29 am

Date Hiked: November 24, 2006
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Conditions reported by: Greg Minter
Survey date: 24-NOVEMBER-2006
General: CLEAR
Specific:

Clear conditions, as long as you can find the turnoff, just a few feet west of the Devil's Peak/Palo Colorado Road sign on the Big Pines Trail. The sign itself is about a tenth of a mile west of Big Pines Camp. We hiked this trail in the dark, using headlights, and were able to do it with little difficulty. Tread was clear, no deadfalls, no brush.
===========
Conditions reported by: Lindsay Jeffers - Stevenson Wilderness Program
Survey date: 8-MARCH-2005
Specific:

This connector is a bit brushy but generally clear. The section between the Big Pines Trail and Danish Creek headwaters is a trifle indistinct, or, more precisely, there are a number of competing routes among the fallen pines here. Take your pick and keep your eyes open and you will find the crossing and regain the more singular trail to the Ventana Double Cone Trail junction.
===========
Conditions reported by: Art Simon
Survey date: 19-JAN-2003
Specific:

The connector trail from Pat Spring Camp to Big Pines Camp is clear and easy to follow (at least by Ventana standards). There are a few spots where the trail meanders around some deadfall, but I can't recall any encroaching brush. I would rate it as one of the more pleasant trails in the Ventana Wilderness. The trail leaves goes downhill across from the sign that indicates you have (almost) arrived at Pat Spring. It reaches the Big Pines trail a short distance uphill from the Big Pines trail sign. If you are coming from Los Padres Dam, you will need to keep your eyes open to see the turn off. I didn't find the site of the Big Pines camp. The Los Padres trail guide says the turnoff for the trail to the camp is easily missed and that was certainly my experience.
Site Administrator
Site Admin

Pat Springs Trail

Postby Site Administrator on Tue May 26, 2009 11:28 am

* USFS Trail #
* Parking: See Big Pines Trail
* Watershed: Danish Creek
* Junctions: Big Pines Trail, Ventana Double Cone Trail
* Connects: Big Pines Trail with Ventana Double Cone Trail
* Camps: None
Site Administrator
Site Admin