Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Gamboa Trail

Gamboa Trail

Gamboa Trail

Postby jbl on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Date Hiked: November 8, 2014
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and/or well maintained)

Hiked the entire length; some encroachment (and growth in middle of trail) between 2nd switchback below NCRT and maybe 1/4 mile after 3rd (last) switchback, one small tree (easy stepover, maybe 6") on ground within 1/2 mile after 3rd switchback, some outsloping in places between there and Trail Spring Camp and also in a few places between there and Ojito Saddle; formerly encroaching PO between Trail Spring Camp and Ojito Saddle (see my report of April 6) has gone very dormant and retracted from trail. Very little water flow at Trail Spring Camp.
jbl

Re: Gamboa Trail

Postby Hydro-Logic on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Date Hiked: September 20, 2014
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Hiked the whole trail and it was in great shape. A little encroaching brush near top but other than that a lovely trail. Evidence of an amazing amount of work could be seen. Must have been a dozen giant Ponderosa pines that were cleared off the trail.
Hydro-Logic

Postby foo on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:34 pm

Date Hiked: July 5, 2014

This trail is in good shape. I hiked it in shorts, no regrets.
There is water at Trail Spring, but not much; it could be hard to extract (e.g., a cup or spoon might help).
There's one tree across the trail, easy to duck under. I think someone removed most of the poison oak underneath it, so it's easy to get past this minor obstacle.

There's plenty of water 2 minutes East of Goat Camp on the Stone Ridge Trail (technically not part of this trail, but that's the closest water source except for Trail Spring).
foo

Postby K Vandevere on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:36 am

Date Hiked: June 15, 2014
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Trail Springs to Ojito Saddle

Trail in good shape except for one recently fallen madrone that must be awkwardly squeezed under in the poison oak. Biting flies also in attendance. Saw no water at Trail Springs, but didn't search.
K Vandevere

Gamboa Trail-FROM NCRT TO BOTTOM OF SWITCHBACKS

Postby jbl on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Date Hiked: April 26, 2014

In connection with a Kirk Creek-based VWA work trip this weekend, three of us went up to clear the trees on the Gamboa Trail from the NCRT junction down to the end of the switchbacks (with the remaining trees along the way from there to Trail Spring and beyond targeted for removal on a May trip). All trees have been removed in the section down to the end of the switchbacks (including the one shown in my 2/16/14 report).
jbl

Gamboa Trail

Postby jbl on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Date Hiked: April 6, 2014
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

SECTION COVERED: ENTIRE GAMBOA TRAIL

Since the date of my last report from President's weekend, things have deteriorated a bit.

SECTION: NCRT TO TRAIL SPRING CAMP: As of President's weekend there was a single tree down (just past the 3rd switchback on the way down) per my prior report (crawl under required). Now there are a number of smaller trees down between the 2nd and 3rd switchback (all negotiable) and another one that you've got to scramble over just before the 3rd switchback, plus there are a few other trees of various sizes (negotiable) between the 3rd switchback and Trail Spring Camp.

SECTION: TRAIL SPRING CAMP TO OJITO SADDLE: There are maybe 4 trees down along this stretch, all negotiable. Most problematic (and it's not much of a problem, really) is one that came down maybe 1/2 mile before Ojito Saddle and that has multiple branches (at low level) that require some fancy footwork, and there's a ~18"-2' tree down (stepover but it's angled downslope and someone with shorter legs than mine may have trouble) just before the Ojito Saddle.
jbl

Gamboa Trail

Postby jbl on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:02 am

Date Hiked: February 16, 2014

We hiked the Gamboa from Trail Spring Camp (having come down the Cone Peak Trail from the Cone/Twin saddle and a VERY CROWDED Cone Peak) to the NCRT and I have two updates from the prior post:

1. Water was flowing, albeit slowly, at Trail Spring Camp, so at least for now you've got a water source.
2. Since 1/1/14 (when I last passed this spot; it looks like the poster didn't traverse the upper section of trail) a ~2' diameter tree has come down just past (if you are travelling in the downhill direction from the NCRT to Trail Spring Camp) the 90 degree left turn which is the third and last turn below the NCRT turnoff before you start the long contour towards Trail Spring Camp (see picture below). Unfortunately this tree must be crawled under sans backpack. I've e-mailed Mike Heard (he's out in that area now) and am probably joining him the first weekend of March at which time I'm sure we'll be able to take this out (if he doesn't get to it before).

P1000892.JPG
Tree on Gamboa Trail ~1/4 mile from NCRT junction
jbl

Postby Bill on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Date Hiked: January 19, 2014

The gamboa trail was great on the weekend that I went. We came from Goat camp and travelled to Trail Spring Camp then up Cone Peak trail.

The trail is beautiful and well maintained with no obstacles on the path however there is NO water. Trail Spring Camp has no water and we found none on our way up pine creek. The closest water source we found was at Goat Camp (we did not travel to Cook spring camp so I cannot report on water there).

If you are planning to backpack through here, be sure to bring water to spare. It's hot and dry.
Bill

Gamboa Trail

Postby jbl on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:58 am

Date Hiked: August 10, 2013

THIS REPORT COVERS THE SECTION FROM TRAIL SPRING CAMP TO THE JUNCTION WITH THE NORTH COAST RIDGE TRAIL.

I dropped the tree described in my prior report to the ground so it is now an easy stepover, and removed another high stepover that was further along that was about 2' off the ground, so there are currently no obstructions.
jbl

Gamboa Trail

Postby jbl on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 am

Date Hiked: June 15, 2013

THIS REPORT COVERS THE SECTION FROM TRAIL SPRING CAMP TO THE JUNCTION WITH THE NORTH COAST RIDGE TRAIL.

The trail is clear the whole way, but ceanothus is beginning to encroach in the brushy sections. There's one 6"-8" diameter tree down horizontally at about the 4' level that you've got to crawl or stoop under, located near the second switchback down from the NCRT. I didn't have my handsaw with me or I would have removed it.
jbl

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails