Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Gamboa Trail

Gamboa Trail

Re: Gamboa Trail

Postby sjgauowqeryh on Tue May 24, 2016 4:23 pm

Date Hiked: May 21, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

I hiked this trail on May 21/22 while making a lollipop loop starting at Highway 1 to Vicente, then to Stone Ridge, Gamboa, Cone Peak, then back down to Vincente Flat trail from Cone Peak Road and back to Highway 1.

Goat camp was in good condition with lots of water flowing nearby. Trail Spring camp (where we actually camped) was also in decent condition with water flowing right by the campsite. Trail Spring camp is a little small though, so if many groups arrive at the same time, it can get cramped. Vincente Flat camp is also in good condition, with water flowing nearby.
sjgauowqeryh

Postby pantilat on Mon May 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Date Hiked: April 30, 2016

About a dozen new blowdowns over the trail from recent winds spread out along the length of the trail from Ojito Gap to the junction with North Coast Ridge Trail. Most of the deadfalls are old snags but there is one old growth Sugar Pine (between Trail Spring and Ojito Gap). Otherwise, the trail is clear. Trail Spring is flowing nicely.
pantilat

Postby charleston63 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Date Hiked: February 13, 2016
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

I only traveled from Goat Camp to Trail Springs Camp, but from what I saw the trail was very clear. There was plenty of water at Trail Springs Camp. If you do plan on staying at Trail Springs, make sure to be the first one there. My original plan was to stay there for the night and then bag Cone Peak the next day, but when we arrived at 3:00 PM there was already a group of backpackers with 2 tents and 1 hammock that took up the campsite. There may have been more areas to pitch a tent, but the group had several dogs that were barking at mine and getting worked up, so I figured we would just keep going.

For those who plan on staying at Otijo Camp, I did not stay there but there is a sign and trail that clearly directs you to that campsite's location.
charleston63

Postby RSIBryce on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Date Hiked: February 7, 2016

Section: from Trail Spring to Ojito Saddle

Trail was overall in great shape- there were some 3 downed trees with diameters beetween 8in and 30in. Not tough maneuvering, though we had only day packs. We cleared a couple smaller ones with hand saws. Water was running abundantly at Trail Spring camp. Tread was in pretty good shape, some slide-outs but nothing too treacherous. What a beautiful trail.

I've heard Gamboa going the other direction from Trail Spring toward the North Coast Ridge road has a several downed trees, we didn't get a chance to check it out since we were doing the full loop from Vicente Flat camp. Took us a total of 9 hours with a long lunch on Cone Peak.
RSIBryce

Postby cehauser on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:29 am

Date Hiked: December 31, 2015

I hiked this trail from the Stone Ridge Trail up to the North Coast Ridge Trail. At the time, the ground was covered with snow or frozen ground, but the tread was good and there were only a few obstacles. At Trail Spring Camp, I heard the sound of a trickle of water 50 feet below the trail, but I did not see water from the trail (I did not stop to look).
cehauser

Postby christoph28 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Date Hiked: August 8, 2015

We hiked Gamboa Trail from Trail Spring to the Ojito saddle. The trail is in great condition, with only a few deadfalls and minimal encroaching brush. We stopped briefly at Trail Spring and the stream bed next to the campsite was completely dry. We quickly checked down stream from the camp but the stream was still dry. Its possible we didn't look carefully enough though as we were pretty tired. It took us around 7 hours to hike from Kirk Creek Campground to Ojito camp via Cone Peak with minimal breaks.
christoph28

Postby mfisher on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:50 am

Date Hiked: May 25, 2015

Dates: 25 May 2015

Gamboa Trail from Trail Spring to Coast Ridge Trail: Clear. Some deadfalls.
mfisher

Gamboa Trail

Postby jbl on Sun May 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Date Hiked: May 17, 2015

This report covers the entire Gamboa Trail.
Section: NCRT to Trail Spring Camp: Clear to Wilderness Freeway, the downed trees reported in the previous report are gone, the sharp projection is there but I'm 6' tall and it was well above me. Brush is starting to encroach in places.
Water was flowing nicely at Trail Spring Camp.

Section: Trail Spring Camp to Ojito Saddle: Clear to Wilderness Freeway. There are 3 trees on this section (the prior report said 4, so one must have been removed). The first tree is 200' from Trail Spring Camp and is a straddle-over, the next 2 are relatively close together (~500') at about 1/2 mile before Ojito Saddle, and in each case there's a short diversion on the uphill side to get around them. Brush is starting to encroach in the thickest part of the brush tunnel near the end of the trail, and there's a bit of PO reaching in from the sides of the trail in places.

PS--on this hike I saw for the first time the new signs that have been put in (1) at the NCRT/Gamboa junction, (2) at Trail Spring Camp and (3) at the Ojito Saddle, wow, it's great to have these, who is responsible for them? The one at the NCRT/Gamboa junction itself would have saved a LOT of time that's been spent hunting for people who missed that junction (Mike Heard knows what I'm talking about) or who mistakenly returned to that junction and then chose the 2 wrong routes from it (Maria knows what I'm talking about)
jbl

Postby Carl Mounteer on Tue May 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Date Hiked: May 5, 2015

This report covers the entire Gamboa Trail.

The interval between the North Coast Ridge Trail and Trail Springs Camp is generally clear although brush is encroaching parts of this portion of the trail. I noted 4 downed trees in this interval, all easily negotiated. The beginning of the last switchback that eventually leads to Trail Springs Camp has a nasty looking, very sharp, projection from a broken tree overhanging the trail at about eye level for tall folks. Watch out for it.

The stream at Trails Springs Camp was still running. I would estimate that one could collect about a half-gallon of water a minute from that source.

The interval between Trail Springs Camp and the Ojito Saddle has four downed trees, all easily negotiated, two of them by very short, circumventing, use trails. In 2010, as the trail approached Ojito Saddle, it turned into a tunnel of vegetation blocked by at least two downed trees that required crawling under. This was difficult for backpackers who would have to crawl on there stomachs to get through. (I believe I picked up 2 ticks this way!) These (including the ticks!) have been completely removed.
Carl Mounteer

Postby RSIBryce on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Date Hiked: February 23, 2015

THIS REPORT COVERS THE SECTION FROM GOAT CAMP TO THE NORTH COAST RIDGE TRAIL

Gamboa Trail was in great shape. There were two downed trees >24 inches in diameter that were easy to step around between Goat and Trail Spring. Trail Spring water was flowing very nicely. We dropped backs and made a run up to Cone Peak. We then continued on toward the North Coast Ridge trail. Big thanks goes out to Mike Heard and Cal Poly Escapes, their Youth in Wilderness outing had brushed this section of trail the day before we hiked it!
RSIBryce

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails