Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - De Angulo Trail

De Angulo Trail

Re: De Angulo Trail

Postby pauldanielson1 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Date Hiked: September 21, 2010
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Closely following Boon Hughey's and Jack Glendening's recent, detailed trail reports, I set out to see this trail for myself. I found it as they described: very brushy and grown over, with faint,, sometimes invisible tread. Even with the strategic flagging they had put in place, I managed to get derailed more than once from the route they had followed and mapped. But thanks to the flagging, I was always able to get back on track in short order. I lost their switchbacks partly way up and simply followed their suggestion to go straight upslope. Sure enough, I eventually bumped into the blue-flagged route.( same thing coming down that sloop) I put in a number of my pink-colored flaggings where I felt a visual assist was needed. I turned around at the stairs "boundary" between the upper and lower portions of the trail. Even so, it was a 6+ hour hike from the highway to this turnabound point and back. With the additional flagging, better familiarity, and less picturetaking (!), I would wager this hike could be even less than 5 hours. BTW, the previously seen bogus "No Trespassing" signs by the highway were gone. Moreover, I quietly hiked past residences and never encountered any hint of opposition.
pauldanielson1

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Date Hiked: August 16, 2010

After hiking the De Angulo Trail, I can see why people have had difficulty following it, with its many twists and turns and intersections with other use trails. And now after the fire it is even more difficult due to the lack of existing tread. If someone wants a challenge, this trail is a good choice! I will be very interested to see how long it is before someone else hikes that trail.

To help that, I've added waypoints for locations that Boon mentions in his trail report to the gpx file which can be downloaded from the on-line Ventana Trail Map, and the attached topo map depicts those for the most difficult section, between the upper firebreak and the lower road. The names are a bit cryptic due to a 13 character limit on waypoint names - if you want fuller descriptions. in Google Earth you can bring up the De Angulo Trail pop-up window in the Trail Map, click on its "display waypoints" link, then click on each displayed waypoint.

Jack Glendening
Attachments
DeAngulo+wpts-quad-blowup.halfsize.gif
Big Sur Trailmap: http://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby jack_glendening on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Hmm - after my last post just happened to notice that we hiked the trail
on the 61st anniversary of the easement signing!

And for those who doubt that karma works, I had lost a clevis
pin from my external pack which I have had difficulty replacing
(e.g. REI does not have such) - while eating lunch I glanced down
and saw a clevis pin in the dirt, which turns out to be the
exact size needed!

Jack

Jack Glendening[
jack_glendening

De Angulo Trail

Postby jack_glendening on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Date Hiked: August 16, 2010

To augment Boon's precise description of the current state of the de
Angulo Trail, its GPS'd location is now depicted in the latest
on-line Ventana Trail Map (replacing the USFS trail data, which went
only from the ridge down to 2200 ft elevation, vs the GPS'd trail
route down to Highway 1). I should note there is one 320 ft long
section around 1870 ft elevation which is shown as a straight line
whereas there should be a series of switchbacks there - but we were
unable to find them. Anyone wanting to know details of the trail
location can download the gpx data file for this trail.

I consider the trail "difficult" only because of the blue ribbons we
left there - in their absence I'd consider the trail "impassible"
since in several places the vegetation is extremely thick, above the
head, and the tread not apparent - so anyone without prior knowledge
of its location is not going to be able to follow the trail. And we
ourselves did significantly depart from the correct route at 70% of
the way up the off-road ascent section before finding it again at the
85% point, later descending correctly.

Also, since several posts for this trail have mentioned a "deeded and
recorded public easement" I want to give its specifics, should this
ever be questioned. By putting them into cyberland they should always
be available via an internet search! In the Salinas Court House
Public Records office there is a "Right of Way Deed" recorded on
August 16, 1949 (pages 115-116 of Book 1185) granting a right-of-way
for a "public trail" signed by Lucy F. de Angulo, providing the
details of that easement. But please note that there is an
"abandonment" clause stating that the rights revert to the owner
should the easement not be used for a period of 5 years - so the trail
does have to be hiked to be kept public!

Jack Glendening
Last edited by jack_glendening on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack_glendening

Postby Boon on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:10 pm

On August 16, 2010, Jack Glendening and I hiked the de Angulo trail from Highway 1 up to the open grassy meadow on USFS lands at about 2,500' elevation, then back down again the way we came. We had planned to go all the way to the ridge, but the day was quite warm and the going a little tougher than we had expected. The trail is passable, but with difficulty. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of extra time, carry plenty of extra water, and dress for brush.

The 2008 Gallery Fire burned the entire area through which the trail runs, killing most of the trees in the hardwood forests through which it passes and supercharging the regrowth of a lot of understory vegetation, rendering the trail quite overgrown in places. The worst offender by far is an extensive infestation of French broom near the lower reaches of the trail portion of the route, which is over head-high and very thick.

Starting from the highway, it's clear and easy going (of course) along the dirt road portion of the route and the views are wonderful. At the first junction under oaks, bear left. Soon another 4-way junction is reached, where hikers should continue ahead and uphill to the left. Soon after this junction is a switchback to the right in the road, which is the place where the trail leaves the road to the left. Someone has piled a lot of oak slash right in the way of the trailhead, but I'm sure it's temporary and is easily walked around anyway. A small wooden sign can be found trailside just off the road. The trail continues across an open field of thistles and grass, then bumps right into what might be described as a wall of french broom. We pushed our way through staying mostly on the original trail tread as best we could, and hung some blue flagging tape from time to time. This thicket of broom continues to just before a gully full of old abandoned vehicles, where hikers must climb up and over a fallen tree before passing above the milk truck but below the pickup trucks to continue on the trail. Soon the thicket of French broom resumes and stays thick for a good long stretch, passing just below the fence and grounds of a private residence before climbing up to an old logging road. This road, also overgrown but not as badly, descends into a redwood gulch where a wooden sign directs trail users off the road and up the bottom of the gulch to the right. Climbing the gulch is easy, but be watchful for a sign on the left that indicates where the trail leaves the gulch and climbs out to the left on a sidehill traverse. From here the trail becomes quite vague and overgrown, but followable by the diligent if they've hiked it before and watch for our flags. It basically runs directly uphill on a steep rounded ridge between two gulches in a long set of switchbacks. If you happen to miss one, just keep heading uphill and watch for flags - you'll pick it up again eventually. In time it ties in with another old logging road, follows it for a short distance to the right, then leaves it to the left on a portion of the trail that has thankfully seen some needed clearing work since the fire and is easy and pleasant to walk. We continued onward and upward until the next old logging road which is approached by a set of railroad-tie steps and then just a short ways further, but the word is that the trail from there to the ridge has seen some work as well. Thank you to whoever has been doing this much needed work!

Boon Hughey, August 17, 2010

DSC02887.JPG
Don't let the trailhead intimidation dissuade you - the de Angulo trail is a deeded and recorded public easement.
Boon

Attempted descent from CRR to Hwy 1

Postby davidp on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:21 am

Date Hiked: January 11, 2010

I choose the Boronda Trail as the ascent for this loop because it seems easy to follow up top and would guarantee me a "known" route down if the DeAngulo was un-findable. Along CRR, there is a Minute Maid aluminum can on a twig at the DeAngulo trailhead (only the burnt stump of the wide oak w/doll remains). This trail has very faint tread and the ground gave way several times. I decided to go check out Cold Springs and planned on coming back here to slide on down. However, on the way to Cold Springs I noticed a bench:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=40554761&l=4096034901&id=12707639
Had a snack here and then kept going south on CRR. It was upon return that I noticed that another trail started down the mountain from this bench. It happens to be the STEEP firebreak that connects to the DeAngulo. I had fun with this section while being careful not twist an ankle on the loose rocks. I never saw where the trail from the aluminum can joined back up, but the ridge from where it came from made it seem obvious that it would. From here down to the Hopkins residence at the top of Partington Ridge Rd is slightly overgrown with tread fairly well defined. Someone has been up here with pink flags that were very reassuring at some of the switchbacks. A trail crew has remade about 300 yards of tread close to the bottom of this section. The trail empties onto an old dirt road at a T-intersection. I tried to go right first because it seemed to best avoid the homes on PRR. After about 1/4 of a mile through a very burnt forest there is a ditch crossing:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=40554769&l=ad97d220bd&id=12707639
I was unable to follow the trail soon after this crossing due to dead-falls, steep slopes, and general lack of knowledge of where the hell I was going! Turned around and walked by a house (Hopkins) and soon after noticed some signs:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=40554771&l=426b1c89e9&id=12707639
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=40554772&l=3a52970791&id=12707639
I went back to the left the way the signs pointed out of curiosity and followed a grown-over tread for about 1/3 of a mile to a spot about 20 yards southwest of the aforementioned "T-junction". The only thing currently denoting this turnoff on your descent is a burnt log buried in the ground of the right (North) side of the old road. It is so much easier to walk past this and head down their driveway, but for obvious reasons this should never be a first choice. They are still rebuilding what looks to be fabulous spot. From there I could not find anymore leads to the lower DeAngulo, so I just followed Partington Ridge Rd to the bottom and walked on Hwy 1 back to the car (thankful that I brought my headlamp along). I do need to return and try and go up from the real trailhead (about 1/2 mile north of PRR at the cactus/eucalyptus grove on Hwy 1) because signage at the bottom gate of PRR claims" Private Road-No Backcountry Access".

Here is the entire album if you want to check out the views from this day. At first I was disappointed by the thick fog layer, but
it ended up being very photogenic. The first pic of this trip is #49 (others from Old Coast Rd and East Molera Trail):
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2154437&id=12707639&l=8023e1732d
davidp

De Angulo Trail

Postby chowell on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Date Hiked: November 16, 2009

Though the trail may be reported by locals as "closed," in reality, it is at risk of becoming forgotten. After the fire, much vegetation has grown to obscure the track, which, in any case, seems to have taken many various twists and turns over the years.

The De Angulo is a heritage trail, and merits preservation. Give it a hike!
chowell

Do not attempt

Postby soontobe_wackthedrums100 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:47 am

Date Hiked: June 17, 2009
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

Hiked up the Partington Ridge Road right passed the trail head. Eventually some people living on the mountain redirected us to the trail. It's on the left side going up the road, during the switchbacks. Only went about 20 feet on the trail because after that I had no idea where it went. There were no visible marking of the trail.
soontobe_wackthedrums100

DeAngulo Trail

Postby mikesplain on Thu May 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Date Hiked: May 4, 2009
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Reported by Paul Danielson:

The trail section described and hiked is the upper third from the end of the Partington Ridge Road to the North Coast Ridge Road. It is passable with some difficult sections. In other words, the fire and ensuing rains have done their typical job: of washing out on or two hillside stretches, obscuring the tread with tall grasses in the meadowed segments, and leaving the rest fairly intact. A few small deadfalls to duck under or go around.
mikesplain

Postby Site Administrator on Mon May 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Date Hiked: January 29, 2008

Conditions reported by: Heidi Hopkins
Survey date: 29-JANUARY-2008
General: DIFFICULT
Specific:

The January 25 wind event brought down lots of ceanothus and oak limbs across the upper portion of the trail (about 2700' elevation). In some cases you have to crawl through undergrowth to get around it.
Site Administrator
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails