Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Danish Camp Trail

Danish Camp Trail

Danish Camp trail

Postby Paul David Tuff on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:03 am

Date Hiked: November 14, 2009
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

The trail is sometimes narrow near the top where it runs through scorched chaparral, but it's in pretty good shape overall. Someone has done some work on the trails leading down from the Big Pines trail and upstream from the camp, which seems to have escaped the fire. I used to hike the loop one can make by heading down Danish Camp trail and then up the old road leading from the first upstream cabin back up to the Big Pines trail, but the last time I did it a few years ago, the trail up from the cabin was pretty much abandoned, although it was passable.
Paul David Tuff

January 2008 report by Stevenson Wilderness Expedition

Postby Site Administrator on Mon May 25, 2009 4:00 pm

Date Hiked: January 14, 2008
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Conditions reported by: Lindsay Jeffers - Stevenson Wilderness Expedition
Specific:

The Stevenson Wilderness Expedition leaders hiked out of Danish Creek Camp over this trail on January 14, 2008. The trail is in its normal shape: some encroaching brush at the top, encroaching poison oak for much of the middle, and some slumping and crumbling footbed where the trail follows water courses. We clipped some of the brush. Generally, though, the trail is a slightly-better-than-normal Ventana Trail.
===========
Site Administrator
Site Admin

Trail Conditions History 2000-2007

Postby Site Administrator on Mon May 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Date Hiked: May 27, 2007
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Conditions reported by: Josh O.
Survey date: 26-MAY-2007
General: PASSABLE
Specific:

Section: Big Pines Trail to Danish Camp - Passable

Section: Danish Camp towards Rattlesnake Camp - Difficult

Tread evident, encroaching brush and poison oak in places. Lots of ticks hitching rides through this short section down to the camp - brushed off 30+. Danish Camp is clear and in good shape, some poison oak along short use trail to creek but not hard to avoid. Appeared to have been recently visited, judging from some garbage left in the fire pit (packed it out). Metal rake still present at the campsite. Stayed at the southern campsite under a beautiful old tree - a few mosquitos in the evening but bugs were generally nonexistent.

Section:

Faint tread, poison oak heavily encroaching trail. Didn't pick up the trail past cabin upstream on Danish Creek, so don't have any information past that point.
===========
Conditions reported by: Greg Minter
Survey date: 16-JUNE-2006
Specific:

Areas of heavy brush, but tread is clear and evident. Poison oak is along the lower section, but it's not nearly as bad as what one would have passed through on Big Pines trail to reach the Danish Camp Trail. Camp was clean and inviting, although a bit overgrown with grass and weeds. A metal rake was at camp and made clearing some light brush for a tent site a breeze. Danish Creek was clean, clear and refreshing, with excellent flow. Access to the water requires a bit of tip-toeing around more poison oak. The Rattlesnake Creek Trail looked mightily overgrown; we did not explore it on this trip.
===========
Conditions reported by: Chris Bolton
Survey date: 5-MAY-2006
General: DIFFICULT
Specific:

Overall, from the Los Padres Dam to the top of the ridge was clear with occasional encroaching poison oak. However, poison oak at the ridge was nearly impassable. Bushes overhanging the trail were 6-10 feet high for approximately 100 yards. We had to carry our packs over our heads to reduce our exposure to poison oak. After the poison oak the trail was in very good condition to Danish Creek Camp. Danish Creek Camp was delightful and in excellent shape. Saw very fresh mountain lion scat in the AM en route to Rattlesnake Camp.
===========
Conditions reported by: AW
Survey date: 21-JANUARY-2006
General: DIFFICULT
Specific:

Basically the same as the previous post.. .

Passible, but pretty difficult through the brush towards the top near the Big Pines turnoff. Not bad for a dayhiker, but would not be comfortable for people with a large backpack. Rubbing against the brush and poison oak is inevitable. Although the P.O. was dormant, its branches were still encroaching onto the trail. Took some pruners with me to do some minor clipping but nothing significant except for removing a huge poison oak vine that somehow seems to have been pushed or blown into the trail. Also picked about 6 ticks off of me, yuck. I think perhaps I'll bring the scout troop I'm associated with to come do some trail maintenence. Lastly, there's a huge deadfall oak on the jeep trail leading to the 1st turnoff after the dam, somewhere between the 2nd and 4th white post trail marker, yet that should be CalAms responsibility, being that its on their jeep trail and their property. Maybe they should be the ones maintaining the Carmel River Trail, being its on their property as well.
===========
Conditions reported by: Lindsay Jeffers - Stevenson Wilderness Program
Survey date: 7-JANUARY-2006
Specific:

Trail is brushy, especially the top third where ceanothus and sage push in from both sides of the trail. There is a good deal of poison oak, of course, but down on the flat, the camping is clear. Spotted a few ticks, otherwise had a pleasant, but cold, night.
===========
Conditions reported by: Lindsay Jeffers - Stevenson Wilderness Program
Survey date: 10-MARCH-2005
Specific:

The trail is certaily passable. The brush is mixed with poison oak and the footbed has a few rough spots where running water has eroded it and made it slippery. The slumping is not severe. Danish Creek Camp is clean and relatively poison-oak free.
===========
Conditions reported by: Wynn K.
Survey date: 29-AUG-2004
General: CLEAR
Specific:

Section: Big Pines Trail jct. to Danish Camp

This trail is free of debris except for a single small downfall. Minor encroachment of chamise. Poison oak in places. Overall trail is very acceptable.

8/29/2004: Danish Creek has low flow on the uphill (west) side of camp. Danish Creek is dry on the downhill (east) side of camp. I expect that the creek to be dry by end of September without sufficient rain.
===========
Conditions reported by: Andy Miller
Survey date: 07-APRIL-2004
Specific:

Section: LP Dam to Danish Creek Camp

This was my first time on this trail. The information I found about it was dead-on. LOTS of poison oak and a tick on every leaf! My nine-year-old daughter Jessica and I had no problem following the trail but it is quite overgrown in places. Aside from the ticks and poison oak, it is a very scenic and enjoyable trail.

Danish Creek Camp was about as nice as a remote camp could be. I loved the open meadow and the large Oaks that abound. We camped near the big oak tree and noticed that the picnic table (shown in many photos) has met it's end and is in pieces. The camp itself is in good shape but doesn't look like it has had visitors in some time. We used the metal rake at to tidy up the site a bit. Who left that rake there anyhow? It must weigh about 25 pounds! No hiker will be tempted to walk off with it, that's for sure.

There were Newts everywhere! At the creek, at the camp, in the meadow, and on the trail. We had to walk carefully so as not to squish one of them. Danish Creek was flowing nicely and it sure was beautiful. We spent a few hours rock-hopping and checking out all the sites.

If you are looking for an out of the way little slice of Heaven, give Danish Creek Camp a try. It's worth the steep up-hill climb on the way out ;)
===========
Conditions reported by: K Vandevere
Survey date: 8-JAN-2003
Specific:

This trail, which once was a Wilderness Freeway, is starting to look nearly abandoned. Brush is beginning to encroach and the tread in narrowing in places.
===========
Conditions reported by: Wynn Kageyama
Survey date: 15-JUNE-2001
General: CLEAR W/ BRUSHY SPOTS
Specific:

From The trail Junction of Big Pines and Danish Camp Trail is a new trail sign that points down the ridge. However the sign lacks an arrow pointing up the ridge to continue the Big Pines Trail. Oops.

The trail becomes immediately overgrown with chamise. Most of it is dead. Bring clippers to prune your way through. After about 100 yards the trail clears up. Beyond that you will need to navigate or cut the overhanging poison oak. Easily done. The trail overall is clear with a few brush spots.

Note: The lower site at Danish Camp is home to a Hornet's nest under the long log near the fire pit. Best to not camp near there if you know what I mean. And I think you do.
===========
Conditions reported by: Andrew Ricciardi
Survey date: 9-APRIL-2000
General: PASSABLE to DIFFICULT
Specific:

Right away the trail is very overgrown. Wearing pants would be a good idea here because ticks were everywhere. Trail damage from horses was minimal. As you approach Danish Creek, more poison oak thickly covers the trail. The trail is not steep, but the overgrown conditions make hiking difficult. On the way down, I brushed at least twenty ticks off me.

Danish Creek Camp was in good condition. There is a VERY faint trail going upstream Danish Creek. If you think you are immune to poison oak, go for it!
===========
Conditions reported by: Wynn Kageyama
Survey date: 9-JULY-99
General: CLEAR
Specific:

This trail is in generally good shape there are no fallen trees, and over growth of vegetation is moderate. However, be aware at this late date, ticks are a concern. In near every canyon switch back, you can expect on this trip to acquire two or three ticks. By the time my partner and I arrived to Danish Creek Camp we had both found and removed about a dozen ticks each.

The camp is clean, and in good form. The trail junction is well marked from the Big Pines Trail.
===========
Site Administrator
Site Admin

Danish Camp Trail

Postby Site Administrator on Mon May 25, 2009 3:55 pm

* USFS trail #2E1.1
* Parking: Los Padres Dam
* Watersheds: Carmel River
* Junctions: Big Pines Trail, Rattlesnake Trail
* Connects: Big Pines Trail with Danish Creek Camp
* Camps: Danish Creek Camp
Site Administrator