Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Danish Camp Trail

Danish Camp Trail

Re: Danish Camp Trail

Postby Corpus on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 am

Date Hiked: July 8, 2017
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Tall grass inundates the trail. I lost the trail in an area where the trail ascends a narrow gully and the weeds on the trail are over head-high. Hap's chair remains, but only the cabin stove and bed frame remain of Hap's cabin (along the rattlesnake trail where it departs the Danish creek).
Corpus

Danish Creek Falls

Postby alanh on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Date Hiked: July 6, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

This is NOT a report for Danish Camp Trail, but rather for hiking up Danish Creek from its crossing on the Carmel River Trail to the waterfall bit over half a mile upstream. I thought some people might be interested in some info on this great side trip.

This is hiking right in the creek, scrambling over rocks, etc. It took me about 35 minutes each way, going at a pretty good pace. At the time I hiked, there was only one place where the creek depth all the way across would have been up to my waist. Fortunately it was easy to go on land for this short section, which was just a few minutes in from the start. The rest of the way the depth ranged from my ankles up to my knees. The pool at the waterfall is very nice; I'd estimate around 10 feet deep under the falls which is 15-20 feet high. There is a fallen tree underwater, so watch out for bumping that when swimming. It seems to have only a few branches, and one of them sticks up out of the water to warn you of what's underneath.
alanh

Postby paultuff on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Date Hiked: May 29, 2016
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Danish trail is in pretty good shape although you frequently have to wade through the growth growing over the trail. But my Difficult rating is for the old road that runs up to Big Pines Trail from the remains of the first cabin (mentioned in Larry's March report).

The old road, which starts off next to the cabin, forks not too far up. Larry said he had an easy time hiking up, so I'm assuming he took the right fork, which you can see next to the white line on the Google Earth image you can link to if you copy the address below. The left fork, which shows the route I took, is nearly impassable in places due to downed trees and thick growth. This trail used to be in great shape, like the time I hiked down it with (I think it was) the Sierra Club a decade or three ago. I still use this route, and it appears a few others do too, but it is becoming increasingly difficult. If anyone is interested in doing some trail work here, let me know! vwaatpauldavidtuffdotcom.

http://http://www.pauldavidtuff.com/ima ... Danish.jpg
paultuff

Postby Larry Parrish on Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Date Hiked: March 12, 2016

Taking a scouting hike before my Sierra Club hike on March 20, Stanley Dudek and myself took along hand clippers and a small saw to clip this trail that gets overgrown every year. I have been doing this hike every spring for a number of years, and each year it seems to get more overgrown. It was apparent that we were the first hikers of the season to take this trail as it was fairly impassable in places and there was no evidence of anyone whacking their way through the brush.

After leaving the Carmel River trail at the Big Pines turnoff, we encountered lots of poison oak, which we clipped down to about knee level. There was also some smallish deadfall, which we also cleared. Right before reaching the ridge was a 50' tunnel of poison oak and ceonothus, which we spent about 1/2 hour on before getting through to the open ridge. Very brushy along the ridge trail, but luckily very few ticks. Easy enough to get through, but not what I would call a clean trail.

After turning down the Danish Camp Trail, we once again clipped poison oak and removed what deadfall we could with limited tools. But, the trail is now easily passable and what deadfall remains can be easily skirted or climbed over. Once reaching the campsite and after lunch, we ventured upstream to the old cabin site. We didn't do much more clipping, and there was substantial deadfall between sites but the route can be managed without too much difficulty. The creek was too high to skirt along, so we had to scramble up a rocky slope about 30' and eventually reached what remains of the cabin - basically a pile of corrugated tin. We took the old road back up to the Big Pines Trail without much difficulty and then another road back down to the River Trail and back to the dam.

On the official Sierra Club hike the next week,there were 4 backpackers at Danish Camp - grateful that we had cleared the trail the week before, otherwise they would not have been able to get through. Hopefully this trail gets used a bunch this year and continues to be opened up. Like most things, use it or lose it.
Larry Parrish

Postby Daniel S on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Date Hiked: July 27, 2014

Went for a day hike to Danish Camp and back. When first turning off from the Carmel River Trail and heading upwards poison oak encroaching is constant. The trail is easy enough to follow all the way up, but you will not be able to avoid contact with the poison oak. There is one deadfall on the way up but its easy enough to negotiate. At the top bushes have overgrown some of the tread but still easy to follow, just make sure to wear some long pants or your legs will get cut up. Heading back down into Danish Camp the trail is in very good condition, and a new sign has been put up at the fork pointing left for Danish Camp. It was an easy walk down to DC and return trip.
Daniel S

Danish Camp Trail

Postby Larry Parrish on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Date Hiked: March 22, 2013

Hiked up from the dam this morning. Once you turn off the River Trail, there is much poison oak, but mostly knee high or below. Noticed some recent horse activity, slightly chewing up the trail. Once atop the ridge, the ticks become plentiful - they love the deerweed. Taking the lower, more common, turnoff to Danish Camp, it became evident that the horse folks had done some some nice work on the tread. Fairly rudimentary, but enough to widen the trail and make it easily passable. The work started a ways down the trail, but continued right into the camp and ended there. I continued upstream to the burnt-out cabin and took the old jeep road back up to the ridge - many ticks along this route. Brushy enough to be unavoidable, but clear enough for easy passage. Once back on the BP Trail, I took the jeep road back to the River Trail and out. A nice 4 hour hike, but still had to pick the ticks off after I got home - little buggers.
Larry Parrish

Postby RSIBryce on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Date Hiked: January 16, 2013

Los Padres Dam to Danish Creek Camp

I parked at the Los Padres Dam trailhead and made my way along the dirt road to the Carmel River trail; after a short distance you encounter two signs at a junction, one indicating the way forward to the Carmel River trail, the other going off to the right toward the Big Pines trail. There is no mention of the Danish Camp Trail on the signage. Trail is passable and evident though narrow, brushy and lots of encroaching poison oak (though dormant this time of year). Once climbing to the top of the ridge you follow along for about half a mile and come to another junction, the sign was burned and is now just a post. Someone took the liberty of scratching BPT with an arrow to the right, and DC with a tent symbol, pointing left. This is the Danish Camp trail. The trail winds along the other side of the ridge and drops down to the Danish Creek watershed. Interesting note, Danish is pronounced Duh-NISH, and according to the book Monterey County Place names, was called "Denicio Creek" on early USFS maps. I picked lots of ticks off me while hiking this section, remember to check often! Plenty of water in Danish Creek and a beautiful open meadow camp near the creek. There's two sites there to choose from.
RSIBryce

Postby DeborahR on Mon May 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Date Hiked: May 3, 2012

The poison oak from the Carmel River Trail Junction to the ridge is very heavy - not avoidable. The day we hiked was very misty, so the moisture on the leaves helped keep the oils off us. I you want to avoid it, use the jeep trail.
DeborahR

Postby K Vandevere on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:48 am

Date Hiked: January 28, 2012

The tread is generally decent, but it is difficult to see your feet for a lot of the way, as you must push through waist deep deer weed and chamise. There are a LOT of ticks along this route, so be prepared to stop and pick them off you pretty frequently.
K Vandevere

Danish Camp trail

Postby Paul David Tuff on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:03 am

Date Hiked: November 14, 2009

The trail is sometimes narrow near the top where it runs through scorched chaparral, but it's in pretty good shape overall. Someone has done some work on the trails leading down from the Big Pines trail and upstream from the camp, which seems to have escaped the fire. I used to hike the loop one can make by heading down Danish Camp trail and then up the old road leading from the first upstream cabin back up to the Big Pines trail, but the last time I did it a few years ago, the trail up from the cabin was pretty much abandoned, although it was passable.
Paul David Tuff

Next

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails