Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Cone Peak Trail

Cone Peak Trail

Re: Cone Peak Trail

Postby rt1 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 am

Date Hiked: February 20, 2011
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

With the exception that the trail was under 4-10" of snow, the trail was in great condition. There were no deadfalls and the only difficult section was where a few small trees and rocks made a little step-over jumble about half way up. Cone Peak Road was closed and there was snow all the way down to Nacimiento Summit. Since the tread was reported good in the fall and there were no vegetation issues, I still can say this trail is clear.
rt1

Postby gfelsman on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Date Hiked: October 9, 2010

My wife and I had a chance to hike this trail on Saturday, October 9th. It was reasnably cool al the way to the top. Then we headed down the Trail Spring Connector to Trail Spring Camp. AS we reached the camp two backpackers were there cooling off for the afternoon. The bugs wer out at this camp so we preseed on up the Gamboa Trail to NCRT for a snack, then retunred along the NCRT to Cone Peak Road, then back to our cars before heading home.

All and all this ia a wonderful loop about 8 - 9 miles total with 2200 foot elevation gain and los along this route. The Ventana Wilderness Crews and forest Service have brushed this trail making it a pleasant hike.

Trail Conditions are as follows;

Cone Peak Trail to Summit; Clear, some encroaching brush particularly on the lower sections
Cone Peak to Trail Springs Camp via the Trail Springs Connector; Clear to Wilderness Freeway. a good protion of the trad had bee reqorked making hiking easy as we dropped 800 feet to camp.

Trail Spring Camp via Gamboa Trail to the NCRT; Clear, Lots of encroachng brush is beginning to fill in the trail.

NCRT to Cone Peak Road, Clear to Wilderness Freeway.
Attachments
Cone Peak View 2_800.jpg
gfelsman

Postby sugg on Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Date Hiked: May 15, 2010
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

This trail is basically in perfect shape. I traveled on this trail from Cone Peak Road over to Gamboa Trail. I didn't visit the lookout this time. No fog this time!!.... so views to the south go on forever. Some trail work since I've been up here - the little gullies have been filled.

I was most interested in the section heading down to Gamboa Trail... http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617079335/in/set-72157624084143828/ The trail work going down was/is awesome. You really forget where you are on this trail - it feels like the Sierras back in the area. This area would be enjoyable in the winter time with some snow. Trail Spring Camp was shady and there was ice water waiting to be filtered. Here's the start of Cone Peak Trail for me on Saturday http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617689844/in/set-72157624084143828/
sugg

Postby C M Heard on Thu May 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Date Hiked: May 7, 2010
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

This trail was recently reworked by Forest Service crews, as noted in this report:

http://www.ventanawild.org/forum08/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=473#p2058

Here is a summary of the results of the work:

- With the possible exception of one narrow spot in the bluff area, the non-Wilderness part of the Cone Peak Trail (from the road to the lookout) is suitable for pack stock. The District packers will need to ride the trail to confirm this.

- With the exception of one climbing turn that is excessively steep, the Wilderness part of the Cone Peak Trail (from the lookout trail junction to Trail Spring Camp) is in excellent shape for hiking. The steep turn is the third one encountered when descending from the junction with the lookout spur trail.
C M Heard

Postby gfelsman on Sat May 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Date Hiked: May 1, 2010

My wife and I hiked Cone Peak Road to Cone Peak today as the gate was locked. Needless to say it was a beautiful day with great views as far as the eye could see. The weather was just perfect. We did not hike the entire Cone Peak Trail to the summit. but is was clear that trail crews have been working on this trail and were there this weekend as well. We did not see them. Lots of flowers along the trail and road.

The parts we did hike were effectively a wilderness freeway with great tread.

Cone Peak Road itself was just graded.

The flies will come visit you if the weather warms up so be prepared. They were most prevalent for us as we traveresed along the base of Cone Peak. No wind and warm temepratures.

Happy HIking.
gfelsman

Postby sugg on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Date Hiked: March 3, 2010

The trail was very clear and wide open, in my opinion. In some sections, where the trail is on a steep slope
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4517094916/in/set-72157623843884742/
the rainstorms create little washouts, which are not that big - hop them, pay attention, don't slip. The bushes didn't seem to be pushing in much. The signs new and accurate. The rocky sections near the top were clear and safe. No water sources up here if you're here on a hot day - none that I saw on this trail. Really enjoyable trail taking you to the top - do it on a clear day and you will enjoy it more!! In the fog/clouds, I had no sense of being "up there".
sugg

Postby Rob on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Date Hiked: March 14, 2010
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

From Cone Peak Road up to the summit things seemed to be in pretty good shape, though winter storms seem to have resulted in some trail washouts in the usual places and a couple of small blowdowns. An example of one of the washouts -

Rob

Central Coast Road closed

Postby sacariq on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Date Hiked: January 16, 2010

The fire road to the trailhead itself was closed. Didn't plan my trip too well, so didn't have time to hike to the trailhead! I imagine it will continue to be closed for some time with the current rains...

Editors Note: this post is referring to the Cone Peak Road, which is often closed during the Winter. Contact the King City Ranger Station at 831-385-5434 for the latest road conditions.
sacariq

Postby lori on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 am

Date Hiked: January 10, 2010

We hiked the trail to the lookout on Cone Peak from the trailhead on the road. The tread is easy to find, and while in some places it appears eroded and crumbly it was easy to walk, or run, apparently - we were passed by a couple of trail runners as they were coming and going. Not a trail for those inclined to vertigo! Very steep hillsides with a very narrow footpath.

The road itself looked pretty good too. There was a Ford Explorer parked at the top of Vicente Flat Trail and a white truck coming down as we were walking up. Looked like a lot of deadfall had been cut and cleared - lots of logs and branches down the side just off the road.
lori

Cone Peak Trail to Lookout, Trail Spring Connector

Postby gfelsman on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Date Hiked: October 3, 2009

My wife Darlene and myself hiked the Cone Peak Trail on Saturday, October 3rd. What a differnce a week makes. The weather was just perfect. Skies were clear and you could see forever. We had very few bugs to speak of on this day.

Our journey took us to Cone Peak, then down the Trail Spring Connector to Trail Camp, Then we returned along the Gamboa Trail to NCRT Trail back to Cone Peak Raod, then down road to our car at the trailhead a total of 8.3 miles, 2300 foot elevation gain and loss.

We want to thank the VWA for all the work they have done on these trails as they are in good shape making for a nice day hike.

Trail Conditions are as follows:

Cone Peak Trail to Cone Peak - Clear, Heavily Used

Cone Peak Road to Cone Peak, Trail is clear no deafalls along the trail. Lots of old grass on both sides of the trail for the first 1.5 miles. It clears up as you get higher. The tread is is good condition. As before try to stay on the inside of the tread for greater stability.

Trail Spring Connector to Trail Spring - Passable, Ligth Usage

We headed down this trail expcting the worst. We were quite suprised. The trail was relativley free of brush. We trimmed alot of what was left as we headed down the trail. There are about 30 downed trees along this route. All were easily stepped over, except for a couple. One six foot diameter obliterated the trail. but a short detour allowed for an easy pass.

As we got closer to Trail Spring Camp, there were a series of about 15 trees in less than a tenth of a mile. Again we just stepped right over them.

The trail gets a passable rating because the tread is poor in many places. Several small slides made the trail slippery in spots. One must be careful when traversing these sections.

We brushed a good portion of this trail on our descent making it easier for the next guy. Hiking poles are recommended on this steep descent.
gfelsman

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails