Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Cone Peak Trail

Cone Peak Trail

Re: Cone Peak Trail

Postby VWA Admin on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Date Hiked: November 11, 2017
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Reported by: Eric Hightower

Section- Cone Peak summit to Trail Spring
Cone Peak Trail's backside is in great shape.
VWA Admin

Postby Pismorich on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:47 am

Date Hiked: June 23, 2017
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The cone peak trail has several areas a long the trail where the Chapparal has made hiking difficult as the growth is covering the trail.. The result required us to do " Tick checks" and we were wearing Deet, we found Ticks thru each brush crawl on our clothes and skin..

We plan to volunteer if called upon and time allows. The views are worth keeping this trail groomed, It was well over 90 degrees during the day so we waited to hike until 5 P.M. and it didn't cool off until 7:30 or so. Cannot wait to return .. Views are Killa...

Happy Trails " Pismo Rich "..
Pismorich

Postby pantilat on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Date Hiked: March 19, 2017
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

The Cone Peak Trail is generally in good shape and clear with the exception of (i) a large pine blowdown above Trail Spring Camp, (ii) a couple additional downed trees that are easy to get around/through and (iii) some ceanothus brush starting to interlock in a short section near the start of the trail at Cone Peak Road.
pantilat

Postby salvatore on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Date Hiked: July 24, 2016
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Together with a friend I hiked the cone peak loop (Vicente Flat Trail from Cone Peak rd ----> Stone Ridge Trail---> Gamboa Trail ---> Cone Peak Summit Trail ---> Cone Peak Trail to Cone Peak road). We began our loop at 2pm from Cone Peak rd (Vicente Flat Trail trailhead) on Saturday, we camped at Goat Camp and arrived at our car on Sunday at 12:00 pm.

Generally speaking the loop is very easy to follow (all parts). The heat is the only real challenge in this summer period (intense!).
The VW team and volunteers clearly do a wonderful job and we were very much grateful (I found impressive the amount of large trunks that were removed from the trail, especially in Gamboa Trail).

Cone Peak Trail, we found no major obstacle and the path was clear.

Half way from cone peak summit junction to cone peak road, the trail appeared to separate in two to what it seemed a tread of a smaller trail. However this was "fenced off" by a small trunk to indicate the main trail to follow (a mistake was very unlikely).

S.
salvatore

Postby crewmaya7 on Sun May 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Date Hiked: May 21, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Trail is obvious but at times it's hard to dodge the poison oak as it encroaches on both sides of the trail (I hiked Vincente to Cone Peak and back). Long pants and poles to keep it out of the way are suggested! Cone Peak was passable though some places were very overgrown, but it's easy to push through. Happy hiking!
crewmaya7

Postby charleston63 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Date Hiked: February 13, 2016

Hiked up from Trail Spring Camp, to Cone Peak, then down to Cone Peak Road.

The trail was clear and well defined. No chance of getting lost. excellent views of the surrounding area from the top. Someone left a little plastic tupperware box with a small notebook and pen as a trail registry. The notebook was almost full when my group and I signed it, so someone may want to bring a new notebook next time they are up there.

I could not find the trail from the summit that was supposed to lead directly to Cone Peak Campground that was on my map from CalTopo.com, so I ended up having to stay the night at the junction of Cone Peak Road and Cone Peak Trail. That trail was not on the BigSurTrailmap.net map, so for those planning a trip around here its safer to rely solely on this map.

[Editor's note: no such trail has existed for decades (if it ever did)]

For those who plan on staying at Otijo Camp, I did not stay there but there is a sign and trail that clearly directs you to that campsite's location.
charleston63

Postby RSIBryce on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Date Hiked: February 7, 2016

Section: From Cone Peak road to summit of Cone Peak and down to Trail Spring Camp

Trail was in great shape. Couple small downed trees we cleared with our hand saws on the way up to the summit. Other than that there is minimal brush encroachment and tread seems to be mostly in good order. Great views on top, what a beautiful clear day and rather warm. Was funny since the previous weekend on Chews ridge we trodded through almost a foot of snow up near the fire lookout there. I have verizon cell service and had three bars on top of Cone Peak, which I used to give my mom a happy birthday call- she was surprised knowing I was out backpacking. (Good to know of that spot hot spot if you're ever in need out there.) Please note Cone Peak road is closed for the winter season.

We hiked down from the little saddle below the peak toward Trail Spring Camp, this was also in great shape. Water at Trail Spring is abundant!
RSIBryce

Postby christoph28 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Date Hiked: August 8, 2015

This trail is in great condition, making for a nice (although arduous) hike up from Kirk Creek Campground. Minimal encroaching brush and deadfalls. We did not find any water at Trail Spring camp, though it is possible we didn't search far enough up/down stream from the camp.
christoph28

Cone Peak Trail

Postby daveviaventana on Fri May 01, 2015 11:06 am

Date Hiked: April 26, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

I hiked the 16-mile Cone Peak-Gamboa-Stone Ridge-Vicente loop, and didn't encounter major problems on any of it. The worst poison oak encroachment was on Stone Ridge trail, but it was manageable. I had to push poison oak out of my way with my poles a few times, and there were some easy to get around/over/under deadfall trees.

The Cone Peak trail itself was free of major obstacles. There was some majorly encroaching thick, tall brush that I had to push my way through, but none of it was poison oak, and in fact it was pretty soft and nice-smelling brush. The tread was completely evident.

Thanks for your work!
dave
daveviaventana

Postby kevin_lyle on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:22 pm

Date Hiked: March 28, 2015

IMG_0557.JPG
Date Hiked: March 28, 2015

I hiked this trail from the Cone Peak Road trail head to the summit and down to the Gamboa Trail at Trail Springs Camp (which did have a decent flowing stream with easy access to filter water) this is the only spot around we found water. The day was hot and rationing water was important. Trail was in good shape, some encroaching brush at start but other than that, in good condition. Views from the top where pretty awesome.
kevin_lyle

Next

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails