Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Carrizo Trail

Carrizo Trail

Re: Carrizo Trail

Postby mikesplain on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Date Hiked: April 28, 2013
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Section- Salsipuedes Ranch Road to Salsipuedes Creek / San Antonio Saddle-
Conditions in this section range widely, from clear to difficult, so I'll give it an average rating of passable.
That said, there are definitely stretches through which one must push through encroaching brush;
the worst is chaparral pea (Pickeringia montana), which can be a bit like pushing through barbed wire.
Long pants and long sleeves are essential.
Fortunately, the pea was in full bloom, as was bush poppy (Dendromecon rigida) and deer brush (Ceanothus integerrimus).
All things considered, the Carrizo, probably the oldest trail in the Ventana, is very well-designed,
and while it generally ascends through some tough, brushy depressions,
it's got enough rock gardens, sweeping vistas, and ridge top cruising to make the tougher stretches more than worthwhile.
Carrizo Spring Camp, perched among mossy boulders on a flat beneath large canyon live oaks,
is a great place to spend the night and the spring itself was heavily flowing (as of late April).
And if you make it to the camp, be sure to at least day hike to the saddle above
for a stellar view of Cone Peak and the splendid sugar pine forest along the Coast Ridge near Cook Spring.
Despite it being prime time at The Indians, on a weekend with numerous large groups camping out
for a number of official and informal events,
I only encountered two other hikers on this ~4 miles of trail.
mikesplain

Postby Jim Ringland on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 am

Date Hiked: April 18, 2013

Section: Cook-Carrizo Connector junction to Coast Ridge Trail

I hiked up hill from the Connector to the Coast Ridge. The newly-worked trail has a wide trail bed and is clear of vegetation save a few small leaning branches, a collection of yerba santa shoots coming up at one point, and one very easy step-over downed tree.

There's no sign at the top junction, but the intersection is fairly easy to spot for someone hiking the Coast Ridge. It's maybe 750 to 1000 feet north of the Gamboa Trail junction. The Carrizo Trail departs by an obviously constructed stone step and initially parallels the Coast Ridge Trail, with only a few feet of separation, as it works its way up a small ridge. At the junction with the Cook-Carrizo Connector, there's a new post but no sign.

So why not rate this as "Clear"? There's an odd hazard. At maybe three points on the trail near the top, an old telephone wire crosses the trail. The stuff is solid copper about 1/8" diameter. It's loose on the ground or a little above. It's marked by little tape flags. The first one or two times the wire crossed the trail, I spotted it or the flags and walked right on without thinking too much. I don't even remember how many crossings there were. However, at the last crossing, not far from Coast Ridge Trail Junction, I got way closer to the wire than I would have liked before I saw it. I saw the wire. I didn't see a flag until I stopped. That wire was a few inches off the ground and was well positioned to trip the unwary hiker. The picture shows the situation, looking in the opposite direction from which I first encountered it. (Click on the picture to see a higher-resolution version.) The wire is off the trail bed and bends here and there. The tape flag at the right in the picture is not well aligned for someone coming into the wire from the upper right in the picture. The tape flag at the left – can you find it? – is small and ratty. It may be hard to get scale on this picture. The tape flag at the right is about 6" long.

I'd advise anyone hiking this trail to maintain a heightened sense of awareness. This is not a good place for hiking on autopilot; the result may be head-first fall. With a this sort of an inconspicuous and perhaps unexpected hazard, I can't really call the otherwise wide-open trail "Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)".

[Editor: If you encounter a hazard such as wire a few inches above the ground, please consider placing rocks on top of it so hikers will not trip on the wire.]

P1040990.JPG
Jim Ringland

Postby Rob on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Date Hiked: February 23, 2013

Hiked this trail from the trailhead near the San Antonio River, up to the junction with the Cook Spring Connector. Wow, nice job trail crew !! The upper section from the second saddle (~4100') still had an inch or two of snow on shady north-facing slopes (which was much of it). No issues with tread, brush or deadfalls though. Saw bobcat tracks most of the way, and on up from Cook Spring.

The lower part of the Carrizo was much the same as the last time I hiked it; pretty decent. There was some intermittent brush before and after Carrizo Springs. Definitely water near the camp. A little brush and sloping tread between the two saddles, but nothing really bad yet.
Rob

Postby Betsy M on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Date Hiked: February 10, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

A VWA Trail Crew cleared 11 fallen trees from the upper 2 miles of the Carrizo Trail, starting at the junction where the historic section leaves the Coast Ridge Trail. If you are hiking north on the Coast Ridge Trail, watch for the two stone steps that mark the start of the Carrizo, as it angles sharply uphill from the Coast Ridge Trail which contours below, to the left.
2013-02-10_14-27-04_797.jpg
We cleared all the fallen trees from the historic section,
2013-02-09_10-27-56_18.jpg
and continued beyond the post marking the connector to the Cook Springs Camp Trail, to the second saddle. This upper section is clear, verging on wilderness freeway condition.
Betsy M

Postby Betsy M on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Date Hiked: October 14, 2012

An ACE Crew worked on the mile section between the saddle with a view of Cone Peak and the siltstone saddle below. They restored the tread for this entire section, and it is now an easy, pleasant walk. The brushbowl below is still fairly clear. The historic section that leads south to intersect the North Coast Ridge Trail just north of the Gamboa Trail remains in excellent condition. For hikers wishing to access Cook Springs, or the NCRT headed north, the connector trail leaves the Carrizo at a switchback just below the saddle with a view of Cone Peak. A signpost (no sign on the post) marks the junction, shown in the photo below.
2012-10-11_07-53-05_816.jpg
Betsy M

Postby Betsy M on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 pm

A VWA trail crew consisting of 12 tough and dedicated volunteers spent two long days on the North Coast Ridge Trail and the upper Carrizo Trail. We cleared all the blowdowns mentioned in the previous trip report, plus brushed out from the second saddle up to the upper saddle, and tuned up the historic section from the upper saddle to where it meets the NCRT. We also removed two logs from the historic connector trail from the signpost below the upper saddle, to where it hits the Cook Springs Camp Trail at the southern most end of the lower switchback on the merely steep route.

Currently, if you are hiking from the south to the Carrizo, you will come to the historic trail about an eighth of a mile past the Gamboa trail. This is where the NCRT is still on the west side of the Coast Ridge. The start of the trail is two nicely placed rock steps. The alternate access to the Carrizo is from the Cook Springs Camp Trail. This trail splits into a merely steep route and an insanely steep route just below the NCRT. Both routes reach Cook Springs Camp, but you must take the merely steep route to access the Cook-Carrizo Connector trail.
Betsy M

Postby Rob on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Date Hiked: January 7, 2012

Hiked from San Antonio river trailhead to Coast Ridge trail yesterday and found it generally much better than last year. Thanks to all who have worked on this trail !

The dry spell we've been having is showing: water was trickling below Carrizo Springs in an area of reeds, and kind of a pain to get to. No water that I could see elsewhere nearby.

From the second saddle on up, I noted 3 or 4 large areas of blowdown necessitating off-trail detours, mostly on the uphill side. Once at the post, the going got easier, though there was one area of brush overhanging the trail -- I would have taken a saw to this myself if I hadn't run short of daylight. The tread was also narrow and sloping in this section but not difficult to follow.
Rob

Postby trolleypup on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Date Hiked: September 6, 2011

The Historic Carrizo Trail route from the dozer saddle to the NCRT near the Gamboa Junction is once again passable, after last winter's heavy snow loads caused major amounts of brush to crush into the trail. There remain some minor brush step arounds, several step over logs, and the tread while clear has not been worked for complete hiking comfort.

The views remain spectacular, the bugs are present but not too obtrusive.

The dozer cut route up from the saddle to the NCRT is very grown in and nearly impassable.
Come join the VWA Trail Crew
trolleypup

Postby rachelmetoo on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:35 pm

Date Hiked: June 21, 2011

In agreement with the previous post 90% of this trail was well marked with ribbons and cairns, thanks so much!! :P many opportunities for water and so deer flies as well :| ...the last section of the trail before meeting up with Coast Ridge becomes very confusing though, light tread, fallen brush and there seem to be un-marked trails, I think I took the North leading trail that the previous poster had avoided, went across to Cook springs, where there appeared to be an unmarked trail leading East back towards Carizzo and met the Coast Ridge where I believe it shows the junction on the trail map!!

[Editor's note: on the Carrizo Trail, at the last saddle before you reach the North Coast Ridge Trail, the original route contours south, towards Cone Peak (visible in the distance) and meets the NCRT about in about 0.8 miles. A dozer cut continues straight up the ridge, meeting the NCRT in about 0.1 miles. A third route (similar to one shown the on the USGS maps) contours north to Cook Spring Camp. From Cook Spring Camp there are two dozer cuts, joining together near the top, that lead up to the NCRT.]
rachelmetoo

Postby MikeZ on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:35 am

Date Hiked: April 12, 2011

Hiked Carrizo from the bridge to Coast Ridge Trail as part of a four day backpack trip. Trailhead (after crossing the San Antonio) is clearly marked/signed and lower section of trail up to Carrizo Springs is well defined (ribbons and cairns), clear, and easy to follow. Recent trailwork was evident (we are eternally grateful) with several opportunities to obtain water along this section. Overnighted at Carrizo Springs (ample water). Would rate this section clear. Minimal poison oak but picked up some ticks.

Trail above Carrizo Springs was initially clear (again, thanks to recent trailwork) but became increasingly difficult after the last creek crossing (about a mile below the Coast Ridge Trail Junction). This is also the last opportunity for water resupply (unless you want to melt snow). The last mile entailed faint tread, some deadfall/overgrown brush, and intermittent snow (up to 12 inches). The worst upper sections deserve a difficult rating but the trail is passable (we were a party of three all carrying backpacks). At an unmarked junction (stake with no sign @ 1/2 mile below the ridge), the trail seemed to split - one section going north, the other west/south. Trail going north was mostly covered with snow and difficult to follow. Opted for the west/south trail. This section has portions of overgrown brush that required some crawling. Joined the Coast Ridge Trail a short distance north of the Gamboa Trail Junction (unmarked).

Thanks to the crews who did the recent trailwork. I doubt the trail would have been passable if it had not been for their efforts.
MikeZ

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails