Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • Carrizo Trail

Carrizo Trail

Re: Carrizo Trail

Postby anadem on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Date Hiked: April 4, 2017
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

We backpacked a loop of Arroyo Seco trail from Santa Lucia Memorial campground up to Coast Ridge, spending the night at Cook Springs, returning down Carrizo trail.

As in other reports the upper part of Carrizo trail is very grown-in and hard work to push through with a pack, even going downhill. Wear long pants or get scratched legs, and arrange packs to be slim and tall instead of short and wide (my pack ripped a side pocket).

It wasn't quite scree, but on a small section one of our group crawled on hands and knees to avoid sliding on the loose, steeply-sloping surface - the trail just wasn't there.

The lower half of Carrizo trail was wonderfully open freeway; many thanks to all who did such a great job!
anadem

Postby Rob on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:17 am

Date Hiked: March 31, 2017

Things were pretty much as last reported. I don't think I have ever seen the stretch from the Salsipeudes Bridge up to Carrizo Springs in such good shape. The spring was running well.

The "difficult" brush started a few hundred feet above camp (~3600') and up to the second saddle (~4000') and was somewhat intermittent. There was plenty of water in Agua Dulce creek. The flags were fairly recent, so there is little chance of getting lost in it. I would advise long pants and long sleeves for this part.

From the second saddle up to the Cook Spring connector junction was in fine shape, except for two large-ish blowdowns just before the connector. Trail tread was narrow and sloping in a few short spots.

The upper section to Coast Ridge was in great shape -- thanks to the folks who just brushed it (fresh clippings in abundance).
Rob

Postby pantilat on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Date Hiked: March 19, 2017

Nothing to add to the prior reports for the lower section but the uppermost 0.7 mile section from the Carrizo-Cook Spring Connector Trail to the junction with the North Coast Ridge Trail is now clear. This 0.7 mile section was becoming moderately brushy but now this is a nice stretch of clear trail passing through some adolescent Coulter pines with occasional views to the rugged NE face of Cone Peak. The Carrizo-Cook Spring Connector Trail is also clear and a new PVC was recently placed at Cook Spring to enable easy filling of hydration systems.

Carrizo will be a great, clear trail from bottom to top once the mile long brush stretch from Carrizo Camp (3400 ft) to the saddle at 4120 ft is cleared.
pantilat

Postby hydrologic on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Date Hiked: March 12, 2017

Betsy's last report was spot on. The brush is horrible after camp. I had shorts and a tank top and got scratched up pretty bad. It's less than a mile section. It needs major work!

Hanging a left at the cook carrizo connector and heading south towards the NCRT the trail again becomes rather brushy. Not as bad as the carrizo section but it too could use some work.

Carrizo is one of my favorite trails and if it were cleared it would be an absolute pleasure.
hydrologic

Postby Betsy M on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Date Hiked: February 4, 2017
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Thanks to a group of VWA trail crew volunteers, building on the efforts of Ventana Wilderness Rangers and the Gabilan Crews last year, the trail is CLEAR from the Trailhead at the Salsipuedes Ranch bridge to Carrizo Camp. Including the large rock that made stock access challenging. Hikers and horses should have no trouble in this section.
However, up above the camp is A MESS (difficult to passable rating). Don't even think of taking your horse here. The brush begins immediately after the Camp. It continues to the saddle at the "rock garden", and then the brush continues, even more dense, to the next (mudstone) saddle. From there to the uppermost saddle, with a view of Cone Peak, conditions are WILDERNESS FREEWAY. Work was done 5+ years ago, yet the trail is still a pleasure to hike. The only issue on this mile long section is a small tree that you need to crawl under or walk around.
Did not have time to continue beyond the uppermost saddle, where the trail contours south to meet the North Coast Ridge Trail. However, we flagged the start of the Cook Carrizo Connector that takes off to the north, which is at a wood post just below this saddle.
Betsy M

Postby Yesenia Fernández on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Date Hiked: June 25, 2016
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Cliff Bell and I hiked with our 2 dogs Henry and Tevah. This Was Our second attempt to get to the Carrizo Springs as labeled in the sign at the begging. This time I took a picture of the brochure (ventanawild.org) to leave comments for future hikers. The first time on May 29th 2016 we were just exploring and had no idea what was out there. It was late and once we hit the bushy area were we had to swim through the bushes at about 2miles, we decided to head back to the car thinking it was impassable or the trail was still in the process of being cleared (since we saw much brush cut off to the sides evidence work was being done)

June 25 2016 we Headed back to complete the trail. Temperature was 102 but we carried enough water for us and the dogs. We knew the difficulty of the hike, straight uphill so we were hoping that the trail had been cleared already.

The Trail was passably clear up to about mile 2.30,up here temperature went down to the 80-88 . Along the way I took beautiful pictures of boulders and breathtaking views of the mountains .

At @2.47 miles The bushes from both sides started closing in on us again so we knew no work had been done but we pushed through. Most bushes were soft , but there was this one bush that was very spikey and got me with scratches on my legs everytime, Cliff never complained about it, he was wearing jeans, long sleeve and gloves and he opened the path for the dogs, I was a bit behind so cliff made me stop and put on a long sleeve shirt and long thicker pants (since my yoga style pants weren't preventing scratches, thank goodness I listened to him )

We saw the flags on some trees that told us we were on the trail . We reached an area where we lost the trail, cliff walked around a bit with the dogs (I was exhausted lol ) there was a huge light brown rock on the right hand side, cliff came back and we saw the faded flag on a branch , we kept swimming through the bushes (pokes where bearable now from that pokey bush)

We Passed an area with some kind of lavender growing plant which smelled heavenly. We reached a big blackish Boulder with holes in it on our right hand side, here cliff heard water flowing, so we headed to the left following the sound and saw the water spring which was surrounded by what looked to us like raspberry bushes and beautiful huge oak trees, nevertheless It was a small stream going down into the ground. I was disappointed that it was nothing We could jump in) We saw No SIGNS anywhere saying that we had arrived to Carrizo springs at 3 miles as marked at the sign in the beginning. It was obvious it was a campsite with clean flat land and a fire pit.

The GPS at this point said 2.67 miles so I wanted to keep going until we hit 3 miles like the first sign had announced, still had hopes I'd find a nice water spring I could relax in. We jumped over fallen trees and saw another flag on the tree to the left. We saw more evidence of people working on clearing the trail , but still the trail was closing in with bushes, it was already @5:30pm so we decided to head back especially when we realized we had finished out water supply.

Overall it was beautiful, extremely exerting (heart rate in the 150-170s) great workout burned over 2,500 calories
Yesenia Fernández

Postby Wilderwill on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 am

Date Hiked: June 16, 2016

Alan Robertson and I backpacked the Carrizo Trail on a warm June day. As reported much trail work has been done for the first 2 + miles, for clear hiking. Then some brush and poor tread (climbing over boulders) for the third (passable) mile before Carrizo Springs campsite. Good camping spots and abundant water at Carrizo Springs.

Then climbing west, mixed clear /brushy hiking (swimming is a good description for some areas) but mostly passable above the Springs. A few trees down, most are easy to step over, and one crawl-under downed tree. Some cairns and a few flags to guide in the less obvious spots. We hiked to the Cook Springs cutoff, marked by a tall post with no sign. We took a short, faint but follow-able path heading north to Cook Springs camp site. We left the area the next day by the Arroyo Seco Trail.

If a further upgrade was to be planned for this historic trail, I would suggest a few switchbacks in the steep areas, and avoiding climbing over the large boulders. The trail was mostly enjoyable. The clearing of brush would attract many more hikers, of course, but thanks to all who have worked on this historic pioneer route.

Wilderwill
Wilderwill

Postby runcyclegirl on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Date Hiked: April 10, 2016

This report is for the first ~2.5 miles.

We didn't get very far on Carrizo before the threat of rain chased us down, but we got far enough to see the work completed thus far by Steve and Beth Benoit, the Gabilan Conservation Corps., and other VWA volunteers. The first 2.5 miles of trail are clear and wide with no obstructions. That plus the elevation gain made for a nice hike.

It was obvious where the trail work ended as the brush on both sides of the trail touched making "swimming" necessary to pass through. It's not so bad, really. The brush was soft with tender leaves and flowers so I thought it was lovely.

Many thanks to Backcountry Horseman of California for funding this project.

Maria

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG
Clear, wide trail.

IMG_0623.JPG
End of clear section but tread is good.

IMG_0681.JPG
Lovely surprise of Harlequin Lupine in a meadow nearby.
runcyclegirl

Carrizo Trail

Postby jbl on Mon May 25, 2015 7:48 am

Date Hiked: May 23, 2015

We hiked the entire length of the Carrizo Trail.

Section: Bridge at the end of Road 6 (lower trailhead) to Carrizo Springs Camp: Passable to Clear. The grassy meadow section after the bridge crossing to the beginning of the uphill is getting a bit obscured/vague due to height of the grass now but you can easily find "a" way if not "the" way. The initial 1/3 of the uphill section to Carrizo Springs Camp is still pretty clear but brush continues to encroach a lot as you get higher, there are some well placed cairns to guide you through some of the trickier spots; As you approach camp there is a little flagging to help guide you through.

Camp was empty, water was flowing nicely in the spring on the left (as you look uphill) side of camp.

Section: Carrizo Springs Camp through Brush Bowl to San Antonio/Arroyo Seco divide: Passable to Clear. The initial creek crossing immediately above CS Camp has a bunch of PO vines and branches sticking into the trail, I wish I'd had my loppers. This is only about a 20' stretch. The uphill to the saddle above CS Camp remains somewhat clear but brush encroachment continues. The Betsy McGowan-led VWA work on the Brush Bowl of a few years ago has held up but some of the heavier brush tunnels have grown in and you must plunge through with hands and arms in front of you in "divers" position.

Section: San Antonio/Arroyo Seco divide to NCRT: Clear. This is a beautiful verdant section mostly in the shade of towering sugar pines, luckily none have fallen across the trail other than those which have already been cut. And this was my first time ever taking the Carrizo Trail from the Cook Spring Camp connector up to the NCRT, this section is beautiful and a much more pleasant way up to the NCRT than the old steep firebreak.
jbl

Postby Jim Ringland on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Date Hiked: April 16, 2015

I hiked from the Cook Springs Connector down to the Salsipuedes Ranch Bridge.

I’m grateful for the work done by the equestrian group. I’m amazed they made it up and back. This wasn’t all that easy on foot with a backpack, even after their work.

The first mile through the sugar pine forest is open, clear, and lovely. Then, at about 4000’, the forest thins, the trail comes up to saddle, and the route crosses onto a south-facing chaparral covered slope. The next 3/4 mile or so has some difficult sections: very brushy and a few pitches of steep, washed-out trail. Brush bowl indeed! It looks like the wet December, followed by a warm and mostly sunny winter, has led to considerable growth since Rob’s February 1 report. There’s nothing quite as bad from that second saddle on down, but most of the way has brushy sections interspersed with easier ones. It's something of an endurance test: no individual block of trail is hard, but the effort doesn't stop. Some poison oak, mostly but not entirely avoidable. No route-finding problems except for short spurs that dead-ended pretty quickly. Plenty of water at Carrizo Camp. The very last slope down is -– finally -– open and clear under forest cover. A fair number of globe lilies were in bloom: the only place I saw them on this trip.

This trail strikes me as being right on the edge between a passable and difficult rating. Even in the brush bowl, difficult chunks were interspersed with less challenging ones. If I chopped that 3/4 mile out, this would fit into the passable category, albeit with the warning that the modest on-and-off brush bashing extends for a few miles. So perhaps "difficult" as a general condition is a tad pessimistic, but somehow "passable" just seems a bit too rosy.

At the bottom of that last hill, I tried taking the Carrizo Use Trail over to the Road 8 rather than heading to the bridge and Road 6. My car was at Memorial Camp and the Use Trail would have cut maybe half an hour off the walk. Unfortunately, I gave up on the Use Trail after about 1000 feet and backtracked. I made it through the brush tunnel at the beginning -– and probably opened it up quite a bit in my bashing through -– but turned around when I saw more poison oak than I wanted to deal with as I approached Carrizo Creek. The last half mile on the regular Carrizo Trail through grassy oak savannah on a wide path was fast and easy.
Jim Ringland

Next

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails